weak ankles

Options
Hello,

Im 20years old, 5ft 7" and currently 14st :/ I'm trying so hard to lose weight and get down to at least 10st. Im currently on a 1200cal a day diet with intense workou in the morning then light weight training at night.

However, when I was younger I ripped my tendons and ligaments from my muscle and have since suffered with weak ankles,this has been for around 12years now and doctors cant seem to offer help. Im finding I can barely do 10)15 jump type exercises ie jumping jacks etc with out the pain in my ankle putting me off. Making the rest of the work out painful and frustating :/ im desperate to lose this weight but it seems my body is just adamant to stay tubby :(

Anu suggestions at all? I excersise from home as embarrassed to go to thw gym so any help in that way would be fab :)

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't do jumping type exercises. I've never done anything of the sort. Do stuff that doesn't hurt instead. It's really that simple.
  • It's not just jumping
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Don't do jumping type exercises. I've never done anything of the sort. Do stuff that doesn't hurt instead. It's really that simple.

Sadly it's not just jumping exercises, like anything that's on my feet too long kills my ankles. Squats and jumping ones are the worst though.

Obviously I need cardio, just it's difficult for me to do it with no pain.

Thanks for the reply :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming or fitness classes in the pool?
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    swimming, biking, rowing....those all put little to no pressure on the ankles and can be done at all levels of intensity. You could also do seated boxing. :)
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physio rather than a doctor?

I have terrible ankles from years of playing netball. I've done a lot of balance work (including standing on one foot, standing on one foot and squatting, standing on one foot on a cushion) etc to help. But I also wear custom made orthotics for running.

A professional who can actually look at your individual injury would be far better placed to help, both in terms of dealing with your injury and developing an appropriate workout program.
  • Ive had physio back in the day. But nothing now im older, something to look into :) and I wouldn't swim righy now purely because I'm so body conscious (typical women) but will see what I can find on seated boxing.. Thank you xo
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    hi I have an ankle injury too, sounds much the same, try the eliptical trainer if you go to gym, no impact and you can adjust the machines tilt to a comfortable position. I work with soldiers who have lost limbs, so i feel i cant make excuses for not working out lol, when i see them up and about :smiley:
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Tape them up and wear a good ankle brace. I used to have to do this before every softball game in high school because I couldn't step on the field without spraining them. Perhaps seek out a good physical therapist? I'm not sure if it's possible with your injuries, but maybe he/she could help you strengthen them, even if just a little bit.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Ive had physio back in the day. But nothing now im older, something to look into :) and I wouldn't swim righy now purely because I'm so body conscious (typical women) but will see what I can find on seated boxing.. Thank you xo

Ha ha - put this in perspective, oh, older person. ;-) You have a way to go.

I go to an Aqua Zumba class where one woman weighs about 350 lb. If you really want to work out despite your disability, put up with a little bit of discomfort about your body image. The water is great because no one sees you when you're submerged. I also teach Zumba to overweight women - many of my students weigh more than you and are getting healthy as well as having fun.
  • Ive had physio back in the day. But nothing now im older, something to look into :) and I wouldn't swim righy now purely because I'm so body conscious (typical women) but will see what I can find on seated boxing.. Thank you xo

Ha ha - put this in perspective, oh, older person. ;-) You have a way to go.

I go to an Aqua Zumba class where one woman weighs about 350 lb. If you really want to work out despite your disability, put up with a little bit of discomfort about your body image. The water is great because no one sees you when you're submerged. I also teach Zumba to overweight women - many of my students weigh more than you and are getting healthy as well as having fun.

It's not just my weight that makes me uncomfortable I also have horrible self inflicted scars head to toe, which is my own fault, but makes me very anxious about getting my body out. I will definitely look into a physiotherapist though :) xo
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Actually there are clothes made for swimming that can cover your arms, and my swimsuit goes to my mid thigh. I am getting ready to teach swim lessons and aquafit classes and I need these to stay warm in the water. These may help you cover your scars.

Don't be self conscience about swimming. Soooo many many folks use the water to help them get exrecise. You will fit in. Just find a group you feel comfortable with. Do you have a YMCA near you? Maybe start there. It's not like an LA fitness. The folks are older and the atmosphere is different. They have lots of classes. Some specifically for folks with joint problems.

Good luck to you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    However, when I was younger I ripped my tendons and ligaments from my muscle and have since suffered with weak ankles,this has been for around 12years now and doctors cant seem to offer help.

I've broken both ankles and had reconstruction on my knees. I run half marathon distance now.

Doctors are dreadful at this kind of thing, speak to a physio.

That said I'd support the suggestion of swimming or cycling.

• Thank you both.x\
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in similar circumstances and she had some kind of stabilization surgery on both ankles which really helped.

But do you wrap and brace them? I have a bum knee and if I don't give it extra support I can't get through 5 minutes of a workout. Don't underestimate how helpful a good brace and/or bandage can be.

Also you might want to try some light/beginner yoga, it can help with both strength and flexibility.