BMR?

Options
I have seen people say a few times "do not eat less than your BMR" and "eating 1200 calories a day slows your metabolism" etc etc.

I am 5'5", weigh 205lbs and sit at a desk all day: MFP calculates my BMR as 1666.

MFP recommends that I eat 1200 calories a day to lose 2lbs a week which is obviously less than my BMR. I've only been doing this for 4 days so no idea what my losses are going to be like in the long term but I just wanna check that I'm not actually going to hinder my progress by eating too few calories?

Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    BMR is the rate that your current body burns calories in a 24 hour period at rest. That DOESN'T mean that you can't eat below it. If one is overweight, their BMR would be much higher than someone who is of same height, structure and body type, but weighs 50lbs less.
    Shoot for 1% of your total body weight per week. So 2lbs a week for the first few weeks and it will slowly taper down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the "don't eat below your BMR" came from. I've heard it, but it doesn't make sense. "Don't eat below 1200 [for women]" does make sense because your body needs more than just calories to operate efficiently. Eating 1200 or more helps make sure you get what you need.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where the "don't eat below your BMR" came from. I've heard it, but it doesn't make sense. "Don't eat below 1200 [for women]" does make sense because your body needs more than just calories to operate efficiently. Eating 1200 or more helps make sure you get what you need.

This. I think the rule is probably intended as a shorthand for don't have too extreme a deficit, but if you are sedentary a deficit aimed at getting 2 lbs/week will always be below BMR and yet if you have lots to lose that's totally appropriate. (1-2 lbs per week or 1 percent of total weight are commonly advised as safe goals.)

When I started I was extremely overweight (over 200 and 5'3) and sedentary, and did 1250 successfully for a while until I got more fit and built up my activity level. For me losing more rapidly (like 2 lb/week or a bit more, nothing extreme) was worth it since I felt good and was able to become more active more quickly--one of my major goals. Since then I've been increasing calories so now lose while eating quite a bit more than my BMR.

That said, people shouldn't feel compelled to do 1200 if they don't feel like it's sustainable or helping them reach fitness goals and should be aware that the MFP approach assumes that you eat back exercise.
  • angelinhell
    angelinhell Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Obviously, I want to lose weight as quickly as is healthy and I am (just) surviving on 1200 a day. One good thing though is I'm getting off my backside more so I can eat a bit extra, lol.

I feel a lot better now!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine but if you find yourself really tired, cranky or legitimately hungry (stomach growling) allow yourself to eat a little more. I know you want to lose fast but if you make yourself miserable you'll quit and go back to old habits.