Anyone starting C25K? I couldn't even manage the 1st one!! :(

Options

Replies

• baillie81
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Just in case anyone is looking for it :)
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have completed C25K several times. It is a good interval program. I usually start back at week five after being couch too long. If you cant complete the W1 intervals after your third session, I recommend you repeat W1. It will get easier.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25K for 3 weeks now. I use the Zombie C25K app, which starts at a slower pace than the typical C25K and includes strength building exercises. I don't think that it gets easier, you will just get used to it. But it feels good when you're able to run a little further or faster than you did before. Keep it up.
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    slow and steady is the key. As soemone who has been running for a while, as soon as I started off slower and built up I found I could run for longer without stopping. Not followed C25K but best of luck, and stick with it.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Free MP3s: http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html I have used these Podrunners for awhile. The mixes are great.
  • YoshiCow
    YoshiCow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've started C25K 3 times. This time I've taken it a lot slower, and I mean a LOT slower. I do it on a treadmill so people must think I'm crazy running that slowly.

I always found when I did it the previous two times I gave up after W1 because I would hurt lots and I wasn't enjoying it, mostly because of going too fast.

I'm just about to go out and do W2D2. Feel free to add me anyone. :)
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I can not say that I stuck with it, but once I shed more of my weight I intend on giving it another go. One thing that I would recommend if you are wanting to start running is to search out running threads on here (I wish I could remember the name, but there is one that is like the top 10 things every new runner should know) and it gives tons of hints, or things to look for as far as posturing, etc. It helped me when I tried running out...although I currently am just not a running fan. Best wishes!!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    nicnoc1981 wrote: »
    Made the hubby come with me on the first one as long as he promised not to laugh.. yes!..I am honestly that unfit. I couldn't do all of the 8 60 second runs but managed half and walked the rest of the podcast. Anyone else as unfit as me? Please tell me it gets easier xx
    Feel free to add me if you're as rubbish as me :smile:

The good news: it gets easier but you also get better!!!

So I started in November - and my goal is a 5K at the end of April, so yes I gave myself 6 freakin months to run 5K!! lol

This morning, I did W5D1, so I ran for 8 minutes non stop. When I finished the workout I almost cried, really. My suggestion is to make small tweaks if you need them: for example, with W4, I walked for 2 minutes after running for 3 and then walked for 3 minutes after running for 5 . . . if you need to make those small changes, do so. It's not set in stone. Also, if you need to repeat a week once, or sometimes twice lol, do it! Make sure you're comfy with where you're at before you move on.

In 2012 I started out at 320lbs. I'm around 250 but really never thought I could run for 8 minutes without stopping or dying first. It's not easy to start, but in 2 weeks you'll look back and be able to see the progress you've made. Give it some time, and an honest shot :) Feel free to add me if you ever need to chat or want some support.

ETA: And, start slow! Like slow . . . You should be able to run at a pace where you can still talk, but not sing. And do not, I cannot stress this enough, run on consecutive days. Take at least one day in between to rest (or cross train - I lift on Tues/Thurs). Your body needs its breaks. And stretch . . . always, always stretch. Otherwise, you could injure yourself. My massage therapist always has to work on my glutes and hamstrings because I sometimes don't stretch how I should . . . then she lectures me, I do it for a while and then it just repeats.

Finally - be proud of just getting out there! You're better than everyone who slept in or was sitting on the couch. Getting up and going is the first and hardest step :)
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started a C25k in September 2014...it was probably the hardest most rewarding thing I've ever done. I finished on Thanksgiving by doing my first 5k and running all the way through. When I started I was 213lbs and now I'm 175lbs due to my new love of running and MyFitnessPal. I refused to let anyone come with me in the first couple weeks because I was mortified that I was so large, that I couldn't talk while jogging(can't really still and don't know how people do that), and I can only imagine how I looked floppin around out there. I have to tell you though that I've been able to use the machines at the gym, I can walk, I can swim...but I've never been able to run so learning how to run was a giant milestone for me. A huge accomplishment in my book and the fact that you are trying you should be so proud of yourself. I started by barely being able to run the first minute and now I"m up to running 40mins consecutively and I've decided to train for a 10k in May. I personally think running has more to do with your mind than your body. If you have a bad day then try again tomorrow. I had days in the beginning that I just couldn't do it so I ran as much as I could walked to recover for a minute then finished running what I was supposed to. I broke it up if I needed to. If it's too hard then make the time shorter and walk longer for a week. Then bump it up the second week to what it originally was supposed to be. Good luck and you can do it! :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ Daivasimone's:
    1) Look for a local running club to help support and guide you on the start of the C25K.

2) As Aglaeac said there is a C25K group on MFP.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

The most important advice I received was to get fitted for a good set of True Running Shoes and go slow when you start.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    I started C25K this morning. I tried this once before but gave up at week 6 with serious shin splints. This time I have had a gait analysis and corrective insoles - that may help. Do any of you have any tips to help avoid shin splints?

I'm not a super experienced runner but I have friends who run multiple marathons yearly and they have told me shin splints can be due to your form when running - maybe over or under stepping. Like if you strike with your heel it means you're overstepping and it's your body's way of naturally slowing you down and stopping you from over extending. I take almost like baby steps when running because it's easier on my body. You're apparently not supposed to really have huge strides unless you're doing speedwork. I'm not sure 100% on this information, just what I've gathered from talking to them in my beginning stages so maybe see if your form is correct and where you strike when you run?

Hopefully that helps :)
  • Forest91
    Forest91 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K last year it was hard to start off with but that was because I was not much of a runner but over time it really help.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nicnoc1981 wrote: »
    If you have an iphone you can download the podcast app and search NHS Couch to 5K on there and just download them.

I used the NHS podcasts nearly two years ago, currently training for some half marathons in the early part of the year, so it's a good solid basis.

I also took out a complete newbie last week and used it again, an interesting experience. Nice to just go out gently, and it also helped me to concentrate on slowing my pace a bit.

Well done for getting out there, don't worry about it. The main focus is on finishing your intervals, so if you need to slow down then do that.

There is a C25K group that you can join on here to discuss your progress.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have been talking in my head about starting C25K for the last year. So far I haven't done it. It's super snowy out and I am reluctant to attempt to run on the roads in this weather. I do have a treadmill, but I am unclear, am I running and walking at the same pace or do I have to mess with the speed every time? Any suggestions?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    baillie81 wrote: »
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Just in case anyone is looking for it :)

And here's the original C25K plan over at Cool Running.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I will be starting my C25K very soon. I am trying to sort out my eating first, and maybe wait until I get my FitBit. I know it will be difficult, but I cannot wait to "go for a run" when I have completed it. I am also considering joining a running club..... Scary stuff! :smile: Good luck
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »
    I have been talking in my head about starting C25K for the last year. So far I haven't done it. It's super snowy out and I am reluctant to attempt to run on the roads in this weather. I do have a treadmill, but I am unclear, am I running and walking at the same pace or do I have to mess with the speed every time? Any suggestions?

Well if you run, you aren't going to run and walk at the same speed outside of the gym right? It's all about intervals really. Interval training is what gets the best and most noticeable results and improvements over time.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Interval training is what gets the best and most noticeable results and improvements over time.

ummm, not really when one is talking about running performance. As an intro it's pretty good.
  • JenNicole11
    JenNicole11 Posts: 1,834 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K again! Believe me, you are not rubbish!

Let me just say this - 5 years ago I was a chain smoker and decided to quit after my mom passed away from cancer at the age of 47. I have the "all or nothing" mindset, so I quit cold turkey and started the C25K having never ran before in my life! I could barely walk fast for 30 seconds! What I did in the beginning was exactly what you are doing - run only 1/2 of the runs and then fast walk the other 1/2. I split the runs up by running one and then walking the next, etc. Then I repeated each week, and on the second time of each week I would do all the runs. It took longer, obviously, but it also kept me from getting overwhelmed. I worked my way up to running continuously for 10 miles at a 6.2mph pace (not as fast as some, but fast enough for my short self!) up until last year when I got injured :| after taking many months off, I'm now starting again :)

The thing with running for me is that it never really is "easy". Some people are naturals... I am not! But it became more manageable and the better I became at it, the harder I pushed myself without even realizing it. Your body will adjust to it gradually and when it does, the running becomes quite enjoyable while being challenging at the same time :)

Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • acorsaut89
    edited January 2015
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Interval training is what gets the best and most noticeable results and improvements over time.

ummm, not really when one is talking about running performance. As an intro it's pretty good.

I'm not sure that someone starting C25K is worried about running performance at this point. If you're an experienced runner, intervals won't do the same. But if you're just starting, they really help to condition your body and you, as a person, will notice how much you're improving and the changes your body is going through. And it will also help with cardio improvement, which for me has been the hardest issue to overcome.