1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I manage to stay under 1200 and not be hungry. Feel free to add me as a friend and take a look at my food diary. My meals are rounded, and I have snacks. You just need to figure out what foods will fill hunger for longer. Snacks through the day probably won't do that.

tumblr_inline_n7osbqZ5kV1rbumi6.gif

Can we just establish right now that eating below that level is not a good thing for your body...? I don't care how "rounded" you think you're eating, you're likely not. Giving others advice to eat under 1200 calories is a piss poor idea.

Can we also just establish that you know nothing about my metrics or activity level...and as for 'giving others advice to eat under 1200 calories', you can thank this site for that, not me. So you can tone back the passive aggressiveness. 1200 works for me, and plenty of others.

Please take note of what the quoted person below me put in caps. And no, I will not tone back anything. Eating below the minimum recommended calories is dumb and dangerous, and to recommend others do the same is irresponsible.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    MFP is often 1200 PLUS EXERCISE CALORIES.

Caps for emphasis. If even that is too little for you, reduce your goal to 1 pound a week (or 0.5 if you don't have much to lose). Or if you don't want to bother figuring out how many calories you burn, use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ with a 20% deficit.

You won't lose any weight long term if you're starving yourself on day 3.

• newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i'm going to swing between 1200 and 1600 for a week and see how I go. I simply can't do 1200 a day; all I think about is food!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've got 1240 as my limit which seems right to me. I am 5'11 and currently about 214 lbs. A couple of years ago I had gotten down to 162lbs but the only way I was able to reach that goal was by strictly maintaining that 1200 limit. Working out daily and not eating back my burned calories.

It all depends on your individual body/metabolism. Some people can lose weight at 2000 or 1600 and some people can't.

This sounds extremely dangerous, especially due to your height.

Of course you'll lose weight on 1200 calories. Just about anybody would. Is it sustainable, healthy loss with the correct nutritional stats for your height, weight, age and activity level? I can't agree with that.

The above posters suggesting TDEE -20% are right. If you do go by MFP's NEAT method, their stats for calorie burns that you are supposed to eat back are sometimes wayyyyy inaccurate and that can lead to overeating. It also doesn't take into account your general activity level, just what you do for exercise.

I don't like those odds. I'll be content eating between 17-1800 calories a day and losing all the way. :)
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories/120 carbs now for about 3 months. I get enough food and usually have some to spare at the end. I plan my meals in advance and I am learning on how to make better choices.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to ca. 1200-1300 calories a day. Some days I eat a little less, say 1100, but that's because usually once a week or so I'll eat more, maybe 1700-1800. It averages out. This is on the advice of my weight loss nurse, as well as MFP, so no, 1200 isn't crazy or unhealthy for everyone, especially if you're short!

I find the easiest way is to have 3 small meals spaced out, with a snack or two in between. You have to eat a lot of vegetables. I usually have 250-300 for breakfast, and then 350-400 for lunch and dinner. I found it difficult and was hungry for the first couple of weeks. You not only get used to it, but you get better at making food choices that allow you to eat more. For example, today for lunch I'm having raw cucumber, carrots and green pepper, with some cold leftover lean pork, and melon for pudding. It looks like a lot of food, but it only comes to about 300 calories. Leaves me room for a yogurt as a snack later on.

If I'm actually really hungry, I always eat something. 100 calories extra every so often might slow down you weight loss a tiny amount, but it won't make a huge difference in the long-run and I don't intend to make myself miserable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 4th day and I still can't reach 1200 calories. I just can't hold that much. My thing tells me to eat more but I just can't. And I have 100+ pounds to lose. I drink like 10-12 glasses of water a day. Friend request are welcome.

On a side note... a lot of people think they eat 1000 calories but are really eating 1400 or something...
  • kynesa
    kynesa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Can I see your food journal? Maybe we can figure out where to add food or change some food choices. Dipping below 1000 isn't good in the long run. Maybe a swap for some healthy fats like in some nuts and seeds or avocados can add good calo
  • kynesa
    kynesa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just reading this chain it seems we need to stop focusing on calories and instead on what a balanced eating habit is. I need to lose a good amount of weight but the ultimate goal is healthy. Not for the short term but a fundamental life style change. To me I need to educate myself on good food choices keeping appropriate proportions not I need to be on a diet.
  • jen_2286
    jen_2286 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Or, why not get off of 1200 calories and eat at -500 of your TDEE? Unless that is -500 of your TDEE? :#

Not the OP but this always confuses me... my BMR is 1440 but my TDEE is 1720, so eating -500 under my TDEE would mean I was under my BMR (1220 vs 1440). Which do I go for?

• fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Consume your calories however you lie. When you eat doesn't matter as much as how much you eat! I usually save all my calories for 7/8pm which is when I actually have time to eat.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I manage to stay under 1200 and not be hungry. Feel free to add me as a friend and take a look at my food diary. My meals are rounded, and I have snacks. You just need to figure out what foods will fill hunger for longer. Snacks through the day probably won't do that.

Can we just establish right now that eating below that level is not a good thing for your body...? I don't care how "rounded" you think you're eating, you're likely not. Giving others advice to eat under 1200 calories is a piss poor idea.

Can we also just establish that you know nothing about my metrics or activity level...and as for 'giving others advice to eat under 1200 calories', you can thank this site for that, not me. So you can tone back the passive aggressiveness. 1200 works for me, and plenty of others.

Furthermore, can we also establish that you know nothing of the OP's metrics or activity level, and saying "I manage to stay under 1200" could potentially give the OP bad ideas.

Just don't.
  • wildcowbell
    wildcowbell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Shape, size, activity level will completely change the amount of calories needed to lose. For someone like me (short, work behind a desk, mother of small child so no gym time) 1200 works perfectly. I'm losing weight steadily, and am not hungry because I fill up on low cal, healthy filling foods. That's the key, OP. Get into good eating habits, track consistently, and you will find what works for you. There are a lot of bigger, taller, people, who have a higher activity level, who simply cannot fathom eating 1200 because their calorie allowance is much higher. If you need another 300 calories a day, then eat another 300 calories a day, as long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • SuckerPunch77
    SuckerPunch77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jenmachin wrote: »
    Or, why not get off of 1200 calories and eat at -500 of your TDEE? Unless that is -500 of your TDEE? :#

Not the OP but this always confuses me... my BMR is 1440 but my TDEE is 1720, so eating -500 under my TDEE would mean I was under my BMR (1220 vs 1440). Which do I go for?

Eat 10 to 20% LESS your TDEE, not a flat calorie amount. 20% of 1720 is only 344 calories.

Also, I wish people would stop with the generalized analysis that 1200 is bad. It may be bad for most but not everyone depending on height, weight, goals, activity level, etc. My TDEE is 1510 so 1200 calories is fine for me... I choose to eat more but if others choose to follow 1200, why be so judgmental?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Furthermore, can we also establish that you know nothing of the OP's metrics or activity level, and saying "I manage to stay under 1200" could potentially give the OP bad ideas.

Just don't.
    As long as we're discouraging assumptions, can we quit assuming the OPs are all fragile, dim and so impressionable that one forum post that mentions eating 1199 will give them an eating disorder or malnutrition? :D

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Just don't.
    As long as we're discouraging assumptions, can we quit assuming the OPs are all fragile, dim and so impressionable that one forum post that mentions eating 1199 will give them an eating disorder or malnutrition? :D

God forbid 1199 calories, christ are you insane?!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jenmachin wrote: »

It doesn't matter if you are under BMR. I see you don't have that much to lose based on your goal, so lots of people might recommend aiming for .5 lb/week or -10-20% (which as noted would be less than a deficit of 500). I personally find that kind of challenging, as it's tougher to see the losses given fluctuations and all that, so I prefer cutting 500 off my TDEE, but both are valid approaches. (That's not currently under BMR for me, but I was eating under BMR when I first started.) For many 1 lb/week is not realistic as you get close to goal, especially if it's basically a vanity weight goal.

If you are exercising, though, TDEE should be higher than that given your BMR, so you want to make sure you are including the exercise or recalculate if you start exercising.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 4th day and I still can't reach 1200 calories. I just can't hold that much. My thing tells me to eat more but I just can't. And I have 100+ pounds to lose. I drink like 10-12 glasses of water a day. Friend request are welcome.

Are you being overly restrictive about what you can eat? This sometimes happens initially especially if people cut both carbs and fat a lot and don't really think about what they should be eating instead, other than vegetables (which are great). I think it usually takes care of itself, but the risk is that you get bored and discouraged or burn out, so I think it's best to try and figure out a good diet that you would enjoy with an appropriate number of calories. Looking at your macros and the meals you've been having is a good way to do this.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Make sure you're not eating too much "Diet" food. Get rid of the low fat/non fat stuff and you'll get to your 1,200 calories pretty quick.
  • elysia82
    elysia82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1240 per day as well. First day was hard then it got easier with meal planning but today, day 5, I felt like complete crap. I'm changing my goal to 1 lb per week to bump up the calories a little. I also read that generally for women 1200 calories should be the lowest intake so it concerned me that I was only consuming 40 more per day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How did people who struggle to eat 1200 calories a day become overweight to begin with? ?