Yoga at home

Options
Been desperate to try yoga for a while now, but can't find anywhere near me that does any classes I can join.

Has anyone tried yoga at home?

I can see there are plenty of YouTube videos and websites, but I've never done any before or seen a class in action, so wondering how realistic it would be to start as an absolute beginner at home in my front room?

xx

Replies

• fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do it all the time at home. It's my favourite workout. Just get a yoga mat and make sure you watch yourself and you're careful with your body when you're doing it. In case you're a little doubtful on the yoga mat, I feel I have to mention that it definitely is a necessity for those who do yoga frequently. I went two years without getting one because I thought it was a waste of money, but once I got one it made things soooo much easier. I'd say only get it if/when you know you're going to be doing yoga a lot - don't get it before you try the workouts because yoga might not be for you.

Anyway, doyogawithme is what I sometimes use, but I prefer the Youtube videos.

I mostly do power yoga or any yoga video that raises my heart and really works my muscles. I know yoga is meant to be a relaxing workout, but I use it as my strength training workouts. The Jillian Michaels yoga videos are some of my favourites.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OK thanks for that.

I already have a mat that I use for piloxing, so no problem there.

I will have to be brave and give the online videos a go then, least there be no-one to see my awful balance and control.

x
  • robinidestrom815
    robinidestrom815 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's how I started, and now I am a yoga teacher! (Bikram). I checked out DVDs from the library (this was before I had a device I could download workouts onto) - Yoga for dummies :), Anna Brett and Ravi Singh - - and I just recently got a free app - yogify, which is pretty nice. There are books out there, and it's good to have a mirror to see yourself, if possible. Yoga will make you feel so good - just take it slow: form over depth. I encourage you to try Bikram Yoga. It is amazing and anyone can try it!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Inhale Yoga with Steve Ross has always been my favorite at home yoga to do. They took it off the air, but you can find full length videos on youtube of it.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use yogaglo.com. I had taken live classes at studios for many years before subscribing, but there are a lot of intro classes and tutorials for beginners. The teachers are some of the best-known in the world. I believe there is a free one-month trial and then it is $18 a month.
  • picnic2day
    Options
    Ooo exciting so many to choose from, thank you x
  • picnic2day
    Options
    So ended up getting my mat out and doing a Adrienne YouTube video, “Yoga For Complete Beginners - 20 Minute Home Yoga Workout!” only chose this as it said for complete beginners, and was just as it said and suitable for a beginner, nice gentle introduction, will definitely be revisiting :smiley: and be brave enough to try some of the others.

Thank you for your advise and input xx
  • newstrawn
    Options
    I have a smart tv and it has exercise workouts on it. No dvd neededm
  • picnic2day
    Options
    Never thought of that, we have a smart TV but I'm not smart enough to work out how to use it, will ask one of the kids the show me. Thanks x
  • msrenegade
    Options
    I'm a yogi and I prefer home yoga. You are not being forced for something you are not ready to do; you are following what your body tells you. I started yoga with "Daily Yoga" from play store. Then advanced to watching a full routine from Ali Kamenova's youtube vids. I learned a lot from her.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    If you have netflix or amazon prime, there are yoga videos there.

Of course, i can't search for the ones on Netflix due to the app on my smart TV lol

I just finished a DVD i bought actually lol
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    msrenegade wrote: »
    You are not being forced for something you are not ready to do; you are following what your body tells you. quote]

This should be true of all yoga, in class or at home, if you were attending classes where you felt the teacher wasn't respectful of that, sorry, but you went to a bad studio.
  • picnic2day
    Options
    I know it's only been a few days but really enjoyed it so far .... but is it normal to have such a noisy creaky neck I wonder :|
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I only do yoga at home. I chose a book I felt suited to me, and I also dabble with it on the wii fit.

My main advice for doing it at home would be to listen to your body. If something's hurting you or you feel you tried to push yourself too far into a pose, back off next time. I have a bulging disc, and while yoga can help it a lot, doing certain poses can upset it again, so at the moment there are certain ones I have to avoid, and I've had to accept that for now.

I love the youtube suggestions, I have a smart tv, so should really give that a go too.