Back (again)! Calorie Steps Question

Options
Happy New Year all, This morning I went to spin class and burned 353 calories according to my HRM. Now I am at work and not moving as much (desk job) and my calories have adjusted to 330. My question, why would I lose my initial workout calories? Wouldn't those be the calories I already burned during my working? I feel like I have to continue walking around the office to keep those initially burned calories. Thanks for any input.

Julie

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Don't understand. Your HRM recorded 353 calories at spin class - then what...... does it sync to MFP ? did you enter something ?
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I logged in the 353 calories burned under exercise. Then on my iphone, I enabled the Steps Calorie Adjustment (this is new to me) and throughout the day is that been monitoring my steps and movement. At the moment, my calories burned is 333. So it basically took 20 calories away from my workout because I've been sitting at my desk job this morning. ??
  • siminske
    siminske Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't, I am not sure why.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I logged in the 353 calories burned under exercise. Then on my iphone, I enabled the Steps Calorie Adjustment (this is new to me) and throughout the day is that been monitoring my steps and movement. At the moment, my calories burned is 333. So it basically took 20 calories away from my workout because I've been sitting at my desk job this morning. ??

Your iphone is telling you that you've burned 333 additional calories with your steps and whatnot thus far today...it doesn't have anything to do with your spin class and your HRM or how many calories you burned through your actual exercise....

• Juliechilli
    Options
    Ok, I'm still confused. Maybe I will turn it off. I don't want to end up burning less than what I actually burned because of what my iphone thinks LOL! Thanks!
  • Juliechilli
    Options
    I'm going to go for a quick walk at lunch. I will see what my calories burned adjusts to after that: so Started at 353, currently at 333, we will see?
  • yarwell
    Options
    You can see the subtraction made by the iOS app at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/diary/Juliechilli
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I think you're just using two different tools to estimate calories and one is estimating them less than the other...pick on and use one.
  • yarwell
    Options
    take a look at her exercise diary, you can see the subtraction from what she manually logged

Stationary bike, very vigorous effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 50 353
    MFP iOS calorie adjustment  N/A -19
  • Juliechilli
    Options
    cwolfman13, one would think. I can't explain the -19 calories though. check out the link above. I'm wondering if I should turn off the steps counter and save that for a day that I don't work out?
  • Juliechilli
    Options
    FYI - Here is the answer:

What is the Calorie Adjustment in my Exercise Diary?

MyFitnessPal pulls your calorie burn directly from our total daily calorie App Gallery partners. Since partner devices track minute to minute, and our program views the entire day as a whole, we then project forward to the end of the day based on your calorie burn so far. When viewing your adjustment (either by tapping the “i” next to the adjustment in your Exercise Diary on our main website at www.MyFitnessPal.com, or by tapping the adjustment itself in the app), you should see a number directly under the partner, which represents the instant sync, and a number to the right of the partner which represents our projection for the day based on your current sync.

Because the adjustment value is recalculated every time your device uploads new data, you should expect this value to change over the course of the day. It is also necessary to make sure your partner device and MyFitnessPal are set to the same time zones (time zones can be updated in the main settings). At midnight, the projected sync and your actual sync should then match exactly. Depending on when you last sync, there may be a slight variation between one day and the next as the two values catch up to each other.

On the calculation page, under the partner totals, you should then see your MyFitnessPal total. The MyFitnessPal total includes not only your daily goals, but also the calories needed to reach the goals you have set within the program, such as lose 1 pound, (we originally deduct these calories when providing your daily goals on MyFitnessPal, they then must be added back in when comparing against your actual total burn from your partner device). Since our program instantly awards calories to your day when exercises are added into the cardiovascular section, to avoid double credit, we also add your cardiovascular totals in with your MyFitnessPal total.

When your device partner projected total is Greater than your MyFitnessPal total, you will then see a positive adjustment of the difference added to your MyFitnessPal account. If your device partner projected total is Less than your MyFitnessPal total, you will then either see a 0, or if you have opted to turn on Negative adjustments, you will see a deduction of calories. If the adjustment is negative this indicates the partner's reported calorie burn is lower than what MyFitnessPal’s has already provided for you.

Because the adjustment value is recalculated every time your device uploads new data, you should expect this value to change over the course of the day.

By default, MyFitnessPal will show you only positive calorie adjustments. To permit negative adjustments, log in to the full MyFitnessPal site at www.MyFitnessPal.com and click the main "Settings" tab, then "Diary Settings." Check the box for "Enable Negative Adjustments" then click "Save Changes.” If you are typically unable to sync your device until late in the day, you may wish to leave negative adjustments "off."