half marathon here I come

Options
My wife and I are going to be running a half marathon this summer and I am using MFP to lose some weight too run faster. Hoping on dropping 30 pounds from 205 to 175. Not new to fitness but have never had to lose weight before (I lift weights and running was always secondary).
Hi.

Replies

• gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Great for you. I began running early 2013 and ran my first half in October of that year. I had hopes to run 2-3 more in 2014, but they didn't materialize. Did two quarters, a 10K and a number of 5Ks, though.

At this point I'm preparing for a half in February. I can't say I'm training all that well...I'll be happy to still be standing when I finish.

I can tell you from experience that less weight equals a better time. Of course that's pretty obvious. I've researched it, and personally found to be very true, that your average time per mile will go down 2 seconds per pound lost. So if you lose 30 pounds you should see 60 seconds knocked off your mile time. Of course training will also improve your time. Those calculations are based on nothing more than the weight and the energy required to move it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for that half! I am signed up to run one on April 11th this year. My training plan starts on January 25 (only because I have a cruise from the 17th-24th so even though I am running now, there's no point to start a training plan only to interrupt it 12 days later for a week). I also need to lose some weight. Not sure how much I need to lose, but last year's pregnancy gave me a little more than I would have liked to have seen.
  • douglas49461
    douglas49461 Posts: 12 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A half will be the farthest I have ever run in one go. I have done several adventure races but they were mostly biking with some running and kayaking/canoeing stuff. If this goes well a marathon will be the next step (have to catch up to the wife she has already done one).
    And running in the cold is so much better than the heat, makes it a lot easier to get outside.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am also training for my first HM in May! It's a very exciting process. Good luck! Add if you would like training buddies!
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ran loads of half marathons years ago..at least they felt that way in boot camp and around Camp Pendleton. Seriously, just decided to do the half marathon in Yellowstone NP this summer...going to walk/jog to make the time cutoff....