Sugar allowance?

Options
Anyone else feel like their sugar allowance in one day seems too low? It's recommended that I have only 48 g of sugar. So I eat an apple and there is 11 grams of sugar already used up. I'm trying to stay at or below my suggested goals so I find this really difficult. I feel like all I am going to be able to eat is salad but with no fruit to get my fruit/veggies food group goal. Grrr.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MFP default setting is insanely low.

I would not even bother tracking it. Unless of course you have some medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar...

you can eat sugar and lose weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar as there is no reason to. Even diabetics only track carbs. I choose to track fiber instead; you can change this under your diary settings.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I only watch my added sugar.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just keep an eye on your macros (carb / protein / fat), and ignore the rest of the crap -- it'll just drive you nuts. The sugar micro is one of the worst, since, as you note, it doesn't differentiate between a relatively healthy sugar source and nutrient-null sources.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I only watch my added sugar.

why?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar intake at all, I just track carbs knowing sugar will fall more or less in line automagically.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you do not have a medical reason to track sugar, you can swap that item out for something else. Since MFP does not distinguish between added and natural sugars (neither do food labels in their measurements), it's not even that useful for those trying to track added sugars. I personally find tracking fiber to be more beneficial, both for data and health purposes.
  • mojo501976
    mojo501976 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    thank you to all! I will consider the options!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, like others have said, I track carbs and fiber. That really should do it, as there's no reason to distinguish between sugar and other carbs unless you have a medical condition and the sugar is counted in the carb category, and the fiber helps make sure that you are getting sufficient amounts of the carbs that contribute fiber (veggies and fruit, beans, whole grains, etc.). It's really a more accurate way to focus on nutrition than sugar.

I was over sugar (if I'd been counting it) plenty in the summer, mostly because I eat lots of fruit in the summer, and never even close in the winter and spring (when I don't traditionally eat much fruit, since nothing is in season), and I lost just as well in the summer, even though I had less to lose.