New Ellipticals feel awkward?

Options
Workout4Health
Workout4Health Posts: 447 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
24 hour uses the newer kinds now, they've done away with the older kinds. Something about these new ones just doesn't feel smooth. I really can't tell what the difference is, but I can feel it. The motions don't feel natural. Maybe it's just getting used to?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home that is different from the ones I've used at gyms and it's awkward to use. The pedals are angled weird and it's just uncomfortable to use usually. I can use it sometimes but I don't set out to use it. Consider other forms of cardio that you will enjoy equally instead.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try changing the elevation and resistance. Once I found the right numbers I learned to really like the ellipticals at my gym.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Are they Precor AMTs? Anything that is an "AMT" is a great elliptical, if it's just a straight elliptical, then that's a completely different deal.
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    Are they Precor AMTs? Anything that is an "AMT" is a great elliptical, if it's just a straight elliptical, then that's a completely different deal.

I love the ones without those arm thingys . I can easily do an hour of cardio on em but theres these other ellipticals that I can barely stand. It kills my legs and I do 5 minutes max. It feels like its angled downwards even with the incline all the way up
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I can't do the eliptical. It doesn't give me the kind of hard workout I want because I can't move that much. It does make certain areas hurt, but not in the good, "I worked out hard yesterday" way...in the "Jesus! That doesn't feel right!" way.

I keep thinking that maybe they're better for shorter people. I don't know. I just know I can't use them.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean!!!!!I thought I was the only person that noticed this. I don't go to 24 hr fitness or whatever the name was, but my gyms ellipticals are the sane way. I actually prefer the older ones.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

These are the ones my gym has. The foot pedals are a bit awkward; you need to step down and then do a weird shuffle to get the momentum going. However, I do love them. I can easily last for an episode or two of Law and Order while on one.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How funny ! I was saying this yesterday when I went with my son's to the rec center. Not only do the foot holds feel father back but my arms are kinda short so I feel like I was leaning forward ! After having both hips reconstructed I don't have many choices for cardio so I can always tell the difference.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    All ellipticals feel weird to me. I hate them. I do use them when I have to take a break from other machines and activities, but only begrudgingly.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    A dream elliptical would be totally customizable, for length and depth of swing, footpad placement (including the ability to bring them closer together, so awkward where they usually are), the arm things too. It's all set to some average, probably a 5'9 man.

I also would like to be able to tilt the seat a bit forward on exercise bikes, for the record.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I can't do the eliptical. It doesn't give me the kind of hard workout I want because I can't move that much. It does make certain areas hurt, but not in the good, "I worked out hard yesterday" way...in the "Jesus! That doesn't feel right!" way.

I keep thinking that maybe they're better for shorter people. I don't know. I just know I can't use them.

It's so ironic you say that, because any time I've ever been on an elliptical, my overall impression is that maybe they're better for taller people :D I just can't do them either. It's a pity, because I think they'd be great for my joint issues.

I am curious what kind of elliptical the "new kind" is that the OP is referring to. There are two kinds in my gym. Both look bad for shorties like me. ;)

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's so ironic you say that, because any time I've ever been on an elliptical, my overall impression is that maybe they're better for taller people :D I just can't do them either. It's a pity, because I think they'd be great for my joint issues.

IMHO they are tough for *narrow* people, by which I mean narrow hip bone/leg placement. I am 5'3 and while I can use most ellipticals, some of them have the pedals just a tad too far apart for comfort for me. My hips and knees do weird things. :\

In general, every elliptical I've tried feels a little different, some good, some bad. So I try not to judge on looks before I try them. I do prefer the ones where you can change elevation as well as resistance.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I specifically bought an elliptical that has a longer foot path (20 inches) because I'm 5'11 and my husband is 6'3.

I actually hate old ellipticals. The older units I used (nondigital, but well maintained) seemed to have an angle built in to the pedals. I felt like I was leaning forward and my toes would always hurt after. It was almost impossible to use without toughing the arm pieces/handles, which is terrible.
  • dkay0272
    Options
    Ugh I have this same problem instead of feeling the burn my feet just hurt!
    I specifically bought an elliptical that has a longer foot path (20 inches) because I'm 5'11 and my husband is 6'3.

I actually hate old ellipticals. The older units I used (nondigital, but well maintained) seemed to have an angle built in to the pedals. I felt like I was leaning forward and my toes would always hurt after. It was almost impossible to use without toughing the arm pieces/handles, which is terrible.