Trying to drop 2 dress sizes by my birthday.

Options
hi there. I currently weigh 18 stone and I really want to lost about 1stone 1/2 by my birthday feb 14th.

How can I do this as it only gives me the option of losing 1-2 or 5 lbs a week.
If I click 5lbs a week then it says that I will lose 3lb by my target time and if I lose 2lb a week then I'll lose just under a stone. This makes no sense..

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I still don't know the conversion from stone to pounds. 3 lbs a week is quite aggressive and not suggested.

Also, dress sizes and weight do not necessarily go hand in hand.
  • purplesammyx
    purplesammyx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know that when you first diet when you are big like me.. The first few stone drop off. I guess I'm just hoping for too much.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You want to lose 21 lbs in 39 days

Err no!

But any weight you do lose will help, as will a heavy lifting programme ...you could be feeling much better about yourself in 5 weeks

Just go for it ...sensibly
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You want to lose 21 lbs in 39 days

Err no!

But any weight you do lose will help, as will a heavy lifting programme ...you could be feeling much better about yourself in 5 weeks

Just go for it ...sensibly

That's about 1/3 total of what she wants to lose as well.
    Probably isn't gonna happen
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah, it will drop off more easily for someone who has more to lose. Don't worry, two pounds a week is no wimpy feat. That's 8 pounds a month! You will look great for your birthday :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    The reason 2lb is maximum, is unless you are morbidly obese you can't lose more without canabalising too much LBM and making the ongoing weight loss and maintenance process much harder

You need to lose slowly, like you put it on, protect as much lean muscle as you can, because muscle is a bugger to rebuild, particularly for women. And muscle mass means you get to eat more calories long term
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Sorry, I still don't know the conversion from stone to pounds. 3 lbs a week is quite aggressive and not suggested.

Also, dress sizes and weight do not necessarily go hand in hand.

^This

What the scale says and what you thought you would look like when you get to that number may not match up at all.
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oops didn't read properly before posting. Disregard.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Took me 7 months to lose 42lbs and drop from a large UK 16 (US12) to a UK 10-12 (US 6-8)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    hi there. I currently weigh 18 stone and I really want to lost about 1stone 1/2 by my birthday feb 14th.

If I click 5lbs a week then it says that I will lose 3lb by my target time and if I lose 2lb a week then I'll lose just under a stone. This makes no sense..

It gives you the option of .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 lbs a week. It does not give you an option of losing 5 pounds a week. That 5 pound is really half a pound a week which is why it would only be 3 lbs total.
    It took me 2 1/2 months to lose 13 lbs and I might be able to wear one dress size smaller. I wouldn't really have to though as my clothes aren't falling off me yet. I think expecting to go down 2 dress sizes in about a month is not setting a realistic or healthy weight loss plan.
  • purplesammyx
    purplesammyx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

It gives you the option of .5, 1, 1.5 or 2 lbs a week. It does not give you an option of losing 5 pounds a week. That 5 pound is really half a pound a week which is why it would only be 3 lbs total.
    It took me 2 1/2 months to lose 13 lbs and I might be able to wear one dress size smaller. I wouldn't really have to though as my clothes aren't falling off me yet. I think expecting to go down 2 dress sizes in about a month is not setting a realistic or healthy weight loss plan.

Ahhhh that makes sense.

Also thank you all for your replies. I'm new to this and I was a thin teen but after my children and marriage I just put all my weight on. It's ironic really because my EX husband used to put me down for being fat but it only made me eat more. I suffered from depression and to be honest just couldn't be bothered to do anything. Now however I've had enough! I need to lose weight and most importantly get fit as im shattered just tidying my home.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Ahhhh that makes sense.

Also thank you all for your replies. I'm new to this and I was a thin teen but after my children and marriage I just put all my weight on. It's ironic really because my EX husband used to put me down for being fat but it only made me eat more. I suffered from depression and to be honest just couldn't be bothered to do anything. Now however I've had enough! I need to lose weight and most importantly get fit as im shattered just tidying my home.

It's very common to let put downs and depression keep you where you are. I hope that you find getting into shape is fun and that it boosts your self-esteem. Good luck!