Grossed out by the sweetness of veggie smoothies?

Options
wrests
wrests Posts: 84 Member
Has anyone else ever had this problem? I get nauseous when I try to drink a veggie smoothie because it has too much sugar (from fruit) in it. The ones I've made have been: beets, almond milk, cocoa powder, dates. Kale, grapefruit juice, pineapple, banana. Spinach, banana, green tea, grapes. Does anyone have a milder smoothie recipe that they can vouch for? I don't like eggs much, otherwise I'd just toss the greens in an omelette, and I don't eat much fruit because of the sweetness, so I'd really love to make this work. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Just blend greens. Dates are super sweet. Have you tried frozen berries? Greenish bananas are less sweet than spotty brown ones.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yeah, dates have always made me a bit nauseous, but I'd never had beets before so I assumed they were necessary in the mix. I've been using old brown bananas, so that's another change I could make- thanks for the suggestions!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk, just ripe bananas, berries, pineapple, vanilla greek yogurt, spinach, and mine never taste very sweet. Sometimes I do carrots and orange juice I juice myself.