I gotta ask...*TMI*

Options
I'm on an antibiotic and it makes me sooooo queasy. Well today I ate my afternoon snack and drank some milk and took my medicine. About 10 mins. later I couldn't handle it and it all came back up. So my question is: If I threw up right after eating food, did my body even get any of those calories; should I eat another snack since I feel A LOT better? Sorry for the weird post, lol!

Replies

• lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i dont believe your body had anytime to digest that therefore my opinion would be no calories consumed
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't absorb nutrients until after the food passes your stomach. Your intestines do this. It takes a little while. If it came up quickly, (10 mins seems like not long), then I would definitely eat something. Eat slowly though and light.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Some of it stayed down. You rarely ever purge everything in your stomach when you vomit and only then if you do it repeatedly over a short period of time. That said, if you feel well enough to eat a little more, do it.

I have that same problem with pain medications, which I thankfully don't take very often. I've found that it works best for me to cut them in half. I take half, wait a half an hour and take the other half. Be sure you're taking them on a full stomach, if directed, and with a full glass of water. That should help with the nausea.
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "right after"? If you threw up after 30 minutes you body already started digesting some of those nutrients, and depending on exactly how much you threw up, you may want to only eat 1/2 of those calories or so back. If it was before 30 minutes and you know there was NOTHING left in your system, you should be able to eat most of those back. But I'm always paranoid and I hate thinking I may accidentally go over, so I always round down.
  • smith18aj
    smith18aj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This may be even grosser but I would think it depends on how digested the food looks. Since you said it was only like 10 minutes. My guess I you don't have to count it. Go ahead and eat again if you're hungry but I would stay away from anything particularly flavorful...keep it in the rice, applesauce, yogurt, saltines family. and no milk. bad for the throat and in my opinion just plain icky thus vomit inducing.
  • kristie778
    kristie778 Posts: 51
    Options
    Just an FYI - some antibiotics don't mix with milk. Not sure what you're taking, but one family of antibiotics that cannot be taken with milk are the tetracyclines, because the calcium in the milk binds the antibiotic and prevents absorption.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Awe, well I hope you feel better. I wouldn't count what you ate if it came back up...now if you threw up an hour later I would count that. Try eating some crackers or some dry toast? soak up that stuff in your stomach and eat it slowly/little bites.
  • Ecaswick
    Ecaswick Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was thinking the same thing...Thankfully that was my last pill cause that was horrible!
  • audreyyrose
    audreyyrose Posts: 85
    Options
    some of the calories were consumed the moment the food entered your mouth. it's hard to know the exact percentage of it, but i'd say you consumed at least 30% of the calories you ate, if not more. but i would still try to eat something else that doesn't upset your tummy :]
  • xrahelx
    xrahelx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried that you didn't receive an adequate dosage of antibiotics. If you throw up right after depending on the consistency and color you could have just thrown up your stomach contents & meds or other gi contents. I would try eating whole grain toast or something bland that will stick 10-15 min prior to taking the medication . If it is a taste problem too conceal the pill in pudding. Not to be gross but jello tastes the same coming back up that is always a safe option. Vancomycin is a nasty antibiotic in terms of potency,even ones that aren't broad spectrum can cause some GI upset. good luck :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried that you didn't get all of the dose of antibiotic than the amount of calories you did or didn't get :/
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried that you didn't get all of the dose of antibiotic than the amount of calories you did or didn't get :/

^^ THIS! Although if it was your last pill you'll probably be okay. :)
  • beautiful3s
    Options
    I think your body still hold some of the calories you consumed before you regurgitated all the food you ate. I know that once we consume food, our body starts immediately breaking the those particles down into fuel and especially after 10 mins. You would still consume some calories but probably not as much so it's entirely up to you to counts those calories or cut them in half....
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i know its annoying but if i were you i wouldnt worry about your calories for a while...just focus on getting better and make sure your eatting food that make you not throw up...whether your having 100 calories a day or 1800 calories a day
    soup will probably help the most and you can always start dieting when you feel better
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The average body will digest food within 15-30 minutes of consuming it.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think you are okay to eat atleast 60-70 percent of those calories back...

I am on a fun antibiotic right now that makes my spit taste like metal.... swallowing my spit makes me queasy. Its fun! so I understand!
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is a great question since I totally tossed my cookies sunday morning....but mine was from grey goose :( Never drinking again (liar)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I was sick a few weeks ago and threw up my breakfast pretty much right after I ate it. I didn't end up counting the calories. I have no scientific evidence for doing so, other than the fact that it sure *looked* like everything came up. Hope you feel better.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Nutrients are not absorbed until the bolus of food created by the churning of your stomach passes beyond your stomach in your digestive tract. Typically it takes your stomach 3 hours from the time you consume food until it passes through, this varies depending on what food, what you have already eaten, etc but if you threw up 10 minutes after eating I would say that your body did not absorb the calories that you ate. That being said don't go overboard and eat a ton but it would be safer to eat the amount of calories you threw up so your body has the fuel to heal and you wont need those antibiotics any longer.
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just eat. If you feel well enough to eat, eat and don't worry about the damn calories like some of the people here would have you do. If you're not feeling well and it's hard to keep food down, take the chance you have where you're feeling better and eat something.

Jesus. Some of you people have made your own eating disorder out of counting calories. The girl is ill, let her eat something without worrying about it.