Bride to be with LOADS of weight to lose!

Options
Hello...
I'm new to this MFP milarky!
My Boyfriend proposed on Christmas Day and so now I am slightly freaking out that I have A LOT of weight to lose (6.5 stone) before I can walk down the aisle as a confident and beautiful bride. Can anyone give me any tips/meal ideas that may help?
Thank you,
Hillypop :)

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations! I suggest buying a food scale and weighing/logging everything. You can still eat things you love, just weight/measure and log your calorie intake. If you are going to start working out, start slowly and build your way up. I suggest strength training to help you look the best in the dress. Also a good idea is to take body measurements for those slow days or weeks when the scale doesn't move.

Best wishes to you!
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi Hilly, and congrats, how exciting :)
    The best advice i can give you, and i have about the same amount to lose is.... its a long process so forget mad fad diets, that will make you pile it all back on once you stop the shakes, or bars, or licking the back of a toad or whatever else is on offer out there.
    Buy electronic weighing scales.... and measure everything that you eat, and log it.
    If like most you have put in here that you want to lose 2lbs a week you are likely to be thrust into the 1200 cal bracket..... they did it to me, and i tried it, and i was tired, hungry and miserable! That doesnt mean you will be though. But lots of folk struggle. I eat 1750 a day and i am still losing at 2lbs a week on average.
    Are you planning on exercising? if so the numbers MFP give you for the cals burned are a little over estimated, so dont eat back all your earned cals, maybe 50-75% at max seems the rule of thumb on here. Although i dont eat mine back as i have the 1750 cal a day and it suits me.
    Add me as a friend if you like. I am here daily and log everything, even the really bad stuff. x
  • Hillypop35
    Options
    Thank you both for the advice! :)
    I already go to a Bootcamp which I enjoy. I wained alot during December and the guy that runs it has been great and is very supportive/motivational but as he says "you can't drag a horse to water" and so I started back on Saturday. I don't do the running etc because I am just to big so he always gives me alternatives. I've got electronic scales so I'll dig those out for more accuracy. Pinkie - I don't want to do any fad diets. I've seen some friends go through that trap :/ I also don't want to join a slimming club - I think I have joined one every year and never got anywhere! I do want to do it sensibly so it stays off. I got the 1200 so reduced to a 1pound a week - as like you said, I am not sure I could exist off that.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    another bride to be :D that's why I'm here too I want to look and feel awesome in my dress, but this is also for life too :smile:
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are have the best and most sensible approach to it already hun :smile: its not a diet its a lifestyle change and after a while it gets more habit and a lot easier.
    I wont lie some days the weighing the butter i use on my toast etc really grinds me down. But then i think, ah well eventually i will be able to eyeball it and have a better idea. I guess how much i think is there, then weigh it, and to be fair i am getting better. My diary is open if you want to see what i get up to lol!
    I ended up binging when i was on the 1200 cals, which is why i upped mine. I have never been at a slimming club etc, i think i needed to take full responsibility for my own destiny, and you now have a wedding dress to dream off for motivation... i mean thats freaking AWESOME ( insert girly squeal here ) lol.
    Oh even though you probably wont want to....take pictures TODAY! so when the scales dont move you can look at the old ones compared to the new ones, its amazing, my tummy used to look like a waterfall, and now its more well, its a bit better lol. I still have a long way to go. Measurements are wise to take too. Trust me if you dont take them.... you will regret it later lol x
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose so much...?

You're marrying the man of your dreams. Be you. I don't want to be disheartening, but maybe stick to smaller goals to like a stone at a time. This is a long, mental, emotional, and downright breakdown process sometimes. Want to lose weight for your health and starting your marriage at your happiest. Not for a dress or photos. :)

Buy an electronic scale and weigh everything, up your protein so you're more likely to feel full for longer, and don't deprive yourself of everything you enjoy. Everything in moderation, including moderation, with maybe a few extra vegetables and pieces of fruit thrown in along the way. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. If you want to lose weight and get to target then its a marathon and not a sprint, so have realistic expectations and have the common elemnts that most successful dieters have.

All you need is a plan which you can follow that will enable you to return a consistent deficit, reached by burning more than you consume. The stickies on the forums are chock full of information, be sensible and learn how its done safely and properly if you wnat to give yourself the best chance of losing. It is straightforward once you understand how it works.
    • Get the right mindset and commit.
    • Believe in and be friendly to yourself.
    • Dont beat up on yourself, but dont make excuses.
    • Dont demonise food.
    • Weigh and log your food consistently.
    • Plan targets so they are small and achievable then progress them once you build confidence up and make progress. Gradual sensible steps for a lifestyle change are better than too strict, which can cause you to binge or quit.
    • Look at your diet and consider whether it will help to eat more fruit and veg, complex carbs and lean protein, whilst moderating processed foods or those high in sugar.
    • No need to ban anything.
    • Exercise at whatever level will be beneficial to your health and wellbeing. Everyone starts somewhere, so a ten minute walk per day is good. Cardio and weights work well together.
    • Expect some setbacks, but take it one day at a time and just move on to try and make better choices the following day.
    • Keep going and good luck.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    Oh if you look at my ticker thing i have done as suggested above, which is originally i started off with a stone loss, it was a bit more encouraging than it looking like it was a million miles away to hit a mini target, you can just up it each time you reach it. x
  • dotty_elmo
    dotty_elmo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Im also doing this for the same reasons you are :smiley: to be honest the hardest thing to do is get into the right mindset which you have already done! I started doing exercise in classes (which you are also already doing) rather than a solo session at the gym as i found it was more motivational - so you are already well under way on your mission!

I also decided that rather then just cut out all food and go into the calorie counting, to start slowly reducing my meal size/snacking/junk food beforehand then start on the calorie counting! I found that when i did start counting what i was eating it made the calories naturally come up less then i thought, so i found i had more to play with at the end of the day! I've also started challenging myself to log at least one exercise a day (whether thats walking the dog or taking a class) as that makes me feel better and gives me a boost to try even harder the next day.

This may not be suitable for you but i find it helps me alot :blush:

Also never forget that your fiance fell in love with you and your personality so dont worry too much if you have a bad day - no matter what you will always look gorgeous!
  • theresar719
    theresar719 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to get in wedding shape. I have about 16 months until my wedding and would like to lose at least 50 lbs and tone up. I am also in 2 weddings this year in June and September so I'd like to look better for those as well. I've been going to zumba and spin classes here and there the past few months but I need to get back into a routine of working out at least 3-4 times a week and eating way better. No more ordering out and trying to cut back on alcohol too.

I'm open to all the help I can get and just some extra motivation!
  • Larisaking
    Options
    Ahh... nothing like a wedding deadline to sober us up!! I am getting married in October 2015 and can not STAND the thought of all those pictures being taken in the state I am in now!! MUST lose weight!
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    welcome!!!! we're all on similar journeys and here to support each other ! feel free to add as a friend for motivation and support :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I lost 3 stone for my wedding in 2008, in 10 months. Then I got pregnant straight after lol, and I had my third child 8 months ago, so since Oct 2007 when I got engaged I've been either losing weight or pregnant lol. So anyway, I know a thing or two about losing weight, as I was a UK size 10/12 before my third pregnancy.

For me, exercise is the main thing that helps me lose weight. I've never had a bad diet, just maybe my portions were too big, and I didn't get enough protein.

So, i work out a lot. I'm at the gym 5 or 6 times a week, sometimes doubling up on classes. I make sure I incorporate strength training. Sounds like you do that already if you do bootcamp. I find spinning is a great cardio work out, and it goes fast. I've got a personal trainer, and it's definitely worth the money if you can afford it.

I used to aim for 1200 calories a day, but now I aim for 1500-1600 and that works better. I get a lot of protein and aim for lower carb, and that works for me.

I like to do a treat day once a week...I usually bake a cake or cookies on a Friday after collecting my son from school, so it's a treat for my kids too. Again, that's what works for me and keeps me on track the rest of the week.

I use a scale to weigh my food so that I'm as accurate as possible, and I don't generally eat back exercise calories.

I also recommend taking measurements as well as weighing yourself, especially if you do a lot of strength training.

The most I've lost is 66lbs after my 2nd child, who's now 3.5. Yep, I gain a lot in pregnancy! Worth it though....
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well congrats first of all and secondly when are you getting married? I would also suggest finding what works for you as far as eating and exercise go and I think a few serious friends who care but are willing to give a ittle nudge in the right direction and I try to be as kind as possible in other words not afraid to give some tough love when necessary. Don't forget to get together some great worout songs and dance for exercise (even if you're like me and can't dance for beans) is wonderful and fun. Remember this is a lifestyle change for your health and not just that beautiful dress. Stay focused get a pic of that dress and post it where you need to on the fridge and in the pantry.

Lastly good luck and just in case you didn't catch my big fat hint you can make me a friend because I will be on you about things I want you to have a beautiful time, enjoy and feel great at your wedding but most of all I want you do live a long and happy healthy life so let's do this and get ready for tha wedding. If you friend me I will pay attention to what you are doing so consider yourself warned on that one.
  • mkroberger
    mkroberger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I just got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and want to lose the 25 pds I gained in just the past two years (5pds of it was just gained over the holiday). I'm seeing a lot of folks on this post mention weighing their food. I think I should do this as well and take out my scale. Good tip!

For me, the ELF diet is the only thing that has worked in the past (ELF - eat less food). But now that I'm older I think I need to be extra restrictive.

Good luck!
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I happen to be in the same boat too! Add me as a friend if you would like. I am trying to lose 30 - 40 lbs before the wedding. I had lost 60lbs but put back on 15 of late.
    I would recommend that you use FitnessFrog to calculate your TDEE(that is your total daily energy expenditure). From there set your calorie goal at 10 - 20% less and you will have fairly steady reductions in weight.
    Congratulations and all the best.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm still at the beginning stages of losing weight, but the best advice I can give comes from my own mistakes. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders with the weight loss already, so I apologize if you've already considered the following, but it's worth saying anyway.

Set realistic goals. I don't just mean pounds lost per week, but how you approach changing your diet, the number of times you exercise per week, etc. Easing into this type of change slowly can be frustrating, but it tends to keep more people on track in the long run. You can always achieve more, but when you set goals too high, especially because of an upcoming event or other external motivator, you can set yourself up for failure. When the goal seems too big you can easily convince yourself to give up. So many people told me this, including my therapist, and I didn't listen. I wish I had.

Be honest with yourself about what you're eating and how much you're exercising. I spent so much time in denial about the effort I was actually putting in and I know it held me back. Similarly, log every day even when you know you're over. Logging isn't just about keeping track of calories, it's also about identifying your strengths and weaknesses and learning from them.

Also, don't just focus on the wedding as a motivator. Think about the long life you want with your significant other, the example you want to set for any future children, and improving your overall health. Having other motivators will help when things get tough and the wedding seems too far away (or too close) to care/bother.

Remember that weight loss is an up and down process. I don't know anyone who just loses weight in a constant, linear way. Just remember that when that happens you're not alone.

If you can, try to get your fiancé on board. After all, it's a lifestyle change and your fiancé is part of that life. The support will only increase your chances of success.

Congrats and good luck!
  • Hillypop35
    Options
    Thank you everyone - I really appreciate all the comments with tips, advice, help and support! You have given me lots to think about and lots to look up! :)
  • Traceywilcox
    Traceywilcox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i have been on and off my fitness pal for the last 3 years, when i stick to it i am really successful, usually my cals work out at 1200 but i find i really struggle with this.
    i have made the decision that i need to start again as i have put most of my weight back on, and i have never joined in any conversation on here, so thought i would give it a go. i like the idea of having 1500 cals and not using my exercise cals gained. so here i go.

i like the positive comments that are on this link and am going to try to join in here to keep me motivated. good luck to all.