Still hungry

Options
How can you be full and still hungry at the same time. I just had 6 - 8 oz glasses and I'm still hungry. How can that be? Any suggestions.
- It also gets worse at night after I eat dinner.

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My advice is to wait and distract yourself. Yes, it happens to me, too. So I try to eat my meal and then do something that causes me to not think about food for 15-30 minutes. Then I seem to be over it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    6, 8oz glasses of what? For me, when I'm hungry, water isn't going to cut it. I can put it off with a glass of milk, but food better be coming in a few minutes or I get lovely back spasms.

If you're hungry at night, try pre-logging an evening snack so you know you have something already accounted for in your calories. I'm a night eater and always will be. I have a snack around 9pm, like yogurt or nuts or toast.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had 2 glasses of a milk and 4 glasses of water.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    It may have simply not been enough calories for what you need right now. Two cups of 1% milk are only about 200 calories.

It may have also been a more emotional thing. You didn't actually "eat," and your brain realizes this. You may need more variety, more textures and more bulk.
  • ciacyrus29
    Options
    It also doesn't help when there is food everywhere. Co-worker brought in cookies and their are tortilla chips on top of the refrigerator.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    How can you be full and still hungry at the same time. I just had 6 - 8 oz glasses and I'm still hungry. How can that be? Any suggestions.
    - It also gets worse at night after I eat dinner.

Have more protein.
  • Try to eat more veggies throughout the day and I ate like 8 small pretzels the other day and my hunger cravings went away immediately! I heard Dr. Oz say its because we need more fiber in our diets as well. Give it try! (:
  • ciacyrus29
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    It may have simply not been enough calories for what you need right now. Two cups of 1% milk are only about 200 calories.

It may have also been a more emotional thing. You didn't actually "eat," and your brain realizes this. You may need more variety, more textures and more bulk.

Could be.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hunger and satiety are different. You can be full to the gills with healthy food and still want a piece of chocolate cake. ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    With some practice I've learned to distinguish tummy-hungry from chew-hungry. I never ignore tummy-hungry, though my portions are smaller and lighter than they used to be. Eat slowly to get maximum satisfaction. Sometimes I satisfy my need to chew, sometimes I postpone....sometimes all the way to morning.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You might be more satisfied if you replaced the 200 calories or so of milk with food. You could eat a ton of veggies for 200 calories or a couple eggs and some veggies. Drinking my calories doesn't always leave me satisfied. I need to chew to feel like I actually had enough.
  • ciacyrus29
    Options
    I think I'm eating too fast. I never felt this way before. Then again, I'm an emotional eater and my cat just died - so that could be another reason for my hunger pangs.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Foods high in protein help you stay fuller longer:
    Peanut Butter, hard boiled eggs, fish, chicken, nuts, tofu, tuna, cheese, yogurt, etc.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Keeping good (less calorie dense) food around is half the battle for me. It takes time but after a while and some success you just won't want the junk food. Over time I've entirely lost my taste for salty foods. If you do eat it, don't pretend it never happened, log it so you have to acknowledge your calorie intake.
  • ciacyrus29
    Options
    Last night, I didn't have the hunger pains I've been having for the last week or so. I ate slower which I seldom do and I felt much better. I made sure I brought in things today that were higher in protein. I drank more water ended up drinking 9 - 8 oz glasses which is a record for me.
    - Hoping today is just as good as yesterday - thanks for all the advice.
  • I worked out for 1hour and 26 minutes last night and after I was finished I felt great but then all of sudden I felt sick to my stomach. Is that normal? Did I workout to hard? I burned 550 calories, walking and running on the treadmill.
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    You know what really helps? Eating super low calorie snacks. When I was first starting to loose weight I had the night time, post workout munchie crazies and what really helped was eating something solid that wouldnt knock me off track. Want something sweet? Eat jello. Craving something salty? Eat kosher dill pickle spears. Need something with mnore crunch? Celery has NEGATIVE calories. Those foods make you FEEL like you're really eating without you having to ADD time to your workout to make up for it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Aw, I'm sorry about your kitteh. :(

I find that sometimes a hot cup of tea is more distracting from the nibbles than a cold glass of water. The flavor and the warmth hit more of the buttons for me.

But, if you need some solids, try veggies first. I personally love the Costco microwave-steam bags of edamame for snacking...tons of fiber and protein and you have to fidget with each pod, so it slows you town and also satifies the handsy portion of nervous/emotional eating needs.
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    I worked out for 1hour and 26 minutes last night and after I was finished I felt great but then all of sudden I felt sick to my stomach. Is that normal? Did I workout to hard? I burned 550 calories, walking and running on the treadmill.

How hydrated were you? Did you take breaks in between your workout? Are you new to working out? Had you eaten before hand? If you did, was it something heavy? Lots of factors play into that "Imma frow up" feeling people get post workout.... I say dial down the workout just a bit or break more frequently and hydrate more. Avoid eating anything super heavy before working out (as a personal rule, I avoid milk products of any kind before and after my evening workouts) and that helped me with my own upset tummy.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

I find that sometimes a hot cup of tea is more distracting from the nibbles than a cold glass of water. The flavor and the warmth hit more of the buttons for me.

Me too. I just imagine that cold water sloshing around in my empty stomach. David's Tea has a lot of blended and herbal teas with acidic/sweet/creamy flavor notes that satisfy a need for "something", with few or no calories.