what do you prepare in bulk?

Options
2»

Replies

• maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I do poached pears or apples. Especially delightful in cold weather and are delicious warmed or cold. Take V8 light pomegranate blueberry juice add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste, warm up on low heat, add peeled/ cored/ sliced fruit,cook on simmer to reduce juice and til fruit is tender.
    I also make a Spanish rice with brown rice, low sodium V8,cut up romas, chopped: onion/garlic/button mushrooms,minced celery and whatever else I feel like that week, then add to either pre- roasted cut up chicken or 93% hamburg cooked with worcestershire sauce and cumin . ....
  • mhoward48
    mhoward48 Posts: 26
    Options
    I love your idea of the oatmeal for the week. I think I will borrow that if you do not mind. What about the recipe for your doggy Twinkies? I have two spoiled little Boston Terriers.
  • whipdancer
    whipdancer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    One of our regular dishes is what we call turkey rice. Cook up 2lbs of ground turkey, 2 cups of mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, celery, corn, green beans, lima beans - whatever, just make sure they are cut up small), 2 cups of brown rice, 4 ounces of almond slivers. Season it however you like and you end up with 8 to 10 servings of something tasty and easy to grab and go.

I also prepackage my oatmeal in 1/2 cup servings. I buy the big cannister of Quaker Oats. I make it at work in a coffee mug with hot water from the coffee machine. Another grab and go favorite for breakfast. Also for breakfast, we hard-boil a dozen eggs so we have them on hand through out the week.
  • jen_bersabal
    Options
    I have found that by cutting and washing all my vegetables (make you allow to dry completely before you store) and prepacking them in little snack on the go bags works beautifully. The upfront time investment is well worth it!

I agree. I also like to blanch certain veggies to a crisp tender and have them ready, like asparagus and haricot verts (little french green beans). I keep them in a tupperware container so I can eat them either cold in a salad, or warm with a quick saute in olive oil. I find that it really helps me get more veggies in!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I cook a huge batch of plum tomatoes, onion, mushroom and red peppers - I can then:

Add Italian herbs and roast chicken (pre-cooked and frozen in 2-3 oz portions) to use it as a pasta sauce.
    Add spicy harissa and cumin seeds and poach an egg in it Tunisian style.
    Add paprika and roast chicken (pre-cooked and frozen in 2-3 oz portions) to make Hungarian chicken
    Add Indian spices and roast chicken (pre-cooked and frozen in 2-3 oz portions) to make an Indian Jalfrezi curry!

EDITED TO ADD: If I cook pasta, or fresh veg (NOT rice) I cook enough for three days. It keeps fine in the fridge. The trick is to drain it then put the pan under cold running water just before it's finished cooking, so it doesn't overcook when you reheat it. :)
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    curry! the longer it sits, the better it tastes : )
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    Bump