Pregnant and gaining too much weight. Help!

Options
Hi, everyone!

I've recently came across your website and I'm trying to make it my default tool to help me maintain a healthy weight and pregnancy. I'm 21 wks pregnant, but already gained 16 kilos. The way I'm going now, I will have over 30 kilos by the time I give birth. I ended up here by.. eating a lot more than I should have.

I have 2 questions:
a) anybody has any idea if there is any special setting in the app/web profile for pregnancy?
b) any advice on how I should best use the app under these circumstances?

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Talk to your OB about how many calories you should be eating and manually set your goals to meet that.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree and think most here will tell you to talk to your OB about meeting your pregnancy goals. Your health and the health of your baby is not something you want to leave to people posting on the internet, not even the well-informed, well-intentioned people here at MFP.
    If you have gestational diabetes or some other condition that makes it key for you to only gain a limited amount, than see if your OB will refer you to a nutritionist who can help you meet all your nutritional and caloric needs without excessive or detrimental level of weight gain for your pregnancy.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your OB hasn't talked to you about this during your last visit. Mine was ALLL up in my chili when I gained a ton of weight during my first trimester. He had me on a very low sodium diet for the rest of my pregnancy - which totally sucked, but it was best for the health of my baby - who'll be 19 years old this summer :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm no help. I gained 50-100lbs with each kid(3 of them). :s Don't do that. And, congrats!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think its best to speak with your OBGYN and not some strangers on the internet or some internet app.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above that you should consult your OB.

MFP doesn't have a pregnancy setting, Fitbit and Sparkpeople does. I set MFP to maintenance, and have my fitbit and garmin swim set to sync. You could do maintenance+300 as a guide until your next doctor's visit.

I can't offer any advice because I'm 35 weeks and still down from my pre-pregnancy weight because of daily exercise (lap swimming or walking) and a collective 10 weeks of vomiting.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your OB hasn't talked to you about this during your last visit. Mine was ALLL up in my chili when I gained a ton of weight during my first trimester. He had me on a very low sodium diet for the rest of my pregnancy - which totally sucked, but it was best for the health of my baby - who'll be 19 years old this summer :)

Is the picture of someone who looks 20 something in your profile, you or your 19 year old baby?
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for gestational diabetes yet ? I know when I had my kids they tested around 24-30 weeks, I gained a bit with my first and he ended up at 9'13" and another at 8'10" being 4 weeks early, so it can happen.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    ckholland3 wrote: »

Is the picture of someone who looks 20 something in your profile, you or your 19 year old baby?

I was gonna say...looking great! I think you look like your baby's sister, rather than their mom!

• biancavlaston
    Options
    Thanks a lot to all, I'll ask my doctor to give me some more details than "you have to eat healthy"!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with the maintenance + 300 calories until you talk to your doctor. That's the most common advice that I've seen posted (on pregnancy forums and articles, not just here) about calorie requirements for pregnancy.

But definitely talk to your doctor. Tell him/her that you're concerned about your weight gain and nutrition and ask for a referral to a dietitian that specializes in pregnancy. They should be able to give you recommendations for calorie goal and macro goals.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I'm no help. I gained 50-100lbs with each kid(3 of them). :s Don't do that. And, congrats!

me too lol but it was pretty easy to come off after... until #3 and the last.. lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is definitely something you need to address with your OB GYN.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Definitely discuss with your OB/GYN. I gained 56# with my first pregnancy (don't do that) and then lost weight for most of my second pregnancy due to persistent nausea. Every pregnancy is different and you should consult with your doctor about what's best for you.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy pregnancy and birth!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me! I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant and trying not to gain too much exessive weight. I was advised to eat at maintenance until 3rd trimester when I will need an extra 300 cals a day.

I've gained about 5lbs so far. My own fault though as I have not been logging and eating quite a lot of junk / convenience foods. I'm going to try and log accurately so I know exactly how many calories I am eating and then I can adjust on the recommendation of my midwife.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    There's a website that calculates the amount of calories you should have, based on height, weight activity level etc. Google it, pregnancy calorie calculator or something.

To be honest, sometimes you do just gain. I did. I thought I'd be ok in my third pregnancy as I was so fit and healthy. I carried on exercising until 38 weeks, I logged on MFP until I went about a week overdue, and it was rare that I ate above maintenance for my pre-pregnancy weight, yet at 8 weeks post partum I still have 30lbs to lose!

I lost it the first two times so i'm sure it'll eventually go.
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    obgyn is always the answer, I like the website for pregnancy Www.babycenter.com ...
    sometimes during pregnancy women can swell with water... and thats normal to some degree but excess its not good so speak with your doctor... eat sensible meals ...cut out all the fried and greasy..stick to wholesome foods... and take a walk around the block a few times a day. fresh air is wonderful to your emotions and health .if you are able..listen to your body and stop when you need to. Drink lots of water that helps with everything! :) good luck on your baby
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me! I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant and trying not to gain too much exessive weight. I was advised to eat at maintenance until 3rd trimester when I will need an extra 300 cals a day.

I've gained about 5lbs so far. My own fault though as I have not been logging and eating quite a lot of junk / convenience foods. I'm going to try and log accurately so I know exactly how many calories I am eating and then I can adjust on the recommendation of my midwife.

5 lbs. at 16 weeks is nothing. That's "holiday" weight gain for most of us. You are supposed to gain some weight during pregnancy. I was normal weight when I got pregnant, and I have had 3 children, gaining between 20 and 30 lbs. for each pregnancy (which I promptly lost because I breastfed each baby and they were two years apart, so running around like crazy!). During my pregnancy with my daughter, I had a stomach bug and gained only 20 lbs. for the entire pregnancy, and there was even some concern about whether she would be normal weight (she was 8 lbs, so no worries there!).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult with your doctor or midwife on weight if you feel it's rapid, too much, or an indicator of another issue.

One thing I was told during my pregnancies is that this is a time when you really do need a high protein diet...I'm a bit nostalgic as I have recently started lifting heavy, and my childbirth educator's voice rings in my head. "You are building a whole new body! You need to eat like a bodybuilder! 100grams of protein a day at least!"
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have gained 35# already at 26 weeks.
    Really bad nausea which resulted in me only being able to eat high calorie carb-y food and a super bad aversion to protein.
    I can usually maintain easily by eating higher protein, fat and less carbs.