How long before I can tell if this is a real gain?

Options
I'm up a few lbs today but it is Monday and I'm always up 1-3 lbs due to heavier eating on the weekends and it usually goes back down mid week.

How long should I wait to see if the weight from the Holidays is real before I adjust my eating?

I mean, I don't want to stress over a few lbs and push myself to cut back if I don't even need to.
Just didn't know if someone with longer maintenance experience could provide input.

Thanks!

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Happymelz wrote: »
    I'm up a few lbs today but it is Monday and I'm always up 1-3 lbs due to heavier eating on the weekends and it usually goes back down mid week.

How long should I wait to see if the weight from the Holidays is real before I adjust my eating?

I mean, I don't want to stress over a few lbs and push myself to cut back if I don't even need to.
    Just didn't know if someone with longer maintenance experience could provide input.

Thanks!

Just go by your body image. If you feel that it has changed drastically then change your calories, if there is no real change just keep maintaining.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Ok.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have a little opposite advice from above. Although it may work for some, I found not weighing was a big mistake for me. I didn't realize I underestimated my weight gain by 10 pounds. Personally, I would weigh on Wednesday morning- and take it from there.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here's my experience. I had been maintaining for about 6 months and I saw those usual fluctuations after a weekend of heavier eating like you mentioned but they always seemed to balance out after a few days (or a week in extreme cases). So when I came back from 6 days in Vegas and saw a 3 pound gain, I really didn't think much of it. After a month I realized that it was more than just water weight because it never went away. Deep down I knew it was a gain all along. I mean, you can't eat cookies and donuts for breakfast every day and drink from 8am-11pm for 6 days and not gain a little weight!

Only you know how much you ate and if you should expect a real gain or not. If you're really worried about it, change your calories for a .5lb/week loss until you stable out again. If it really is just water weight, you'll be back to normal in a week tops. If it's actual weight gain, you'll be on your way to fixing it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well being a woman and all, it's hard to tell once you consider normal water retention before your cycle... Personally, I can only tell every month after my period if I gained real weight or not.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My motto, and this is what I used when I was losing weight: is to compare weight today to weight 30 days ago. Some fluctuations are weekly while others are monthly so this has been a pretty good measure for me.
    Happymelz wrote: »

Thanks!

• lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    After a few days of normal eating, you should start to see the weight gradually go down. If your weight is still up after more than a week of normal eating, then there's a gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You have to have enough data points for meaningful trend analysis. This is why I tend to weigh daily or at least 3-4 days per week. I know I'm going to fluctuate 3-5 Lbs any given day throughout the week and that doesn't bother me...but it gives me enough data points to get a good average.

Basically I know that I've put on about 4 real pounds since October given that my previous running average was 182 Lbs (with fluctuations anywhere from 178 - 186) and my current average is 186 with fluctuations from 184 - 191.

I know that this is due by and large to holiday parties and other goings on and my general tendency to become a bit less active during the colder months, missing workouts with the holidays, etc. I don't worry about it too much as this is pretty cyclical for me at this point...the festivities are over so I will naturally be consuming a bit less and I usually find a renewed vigor this time of year to start getting back on my bike...after all, my first century of the season is in May...time to start laying down a good base of mileage.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    thank you everyone for the insight! Insightfrom those who have maintained is always helpful.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I freaked out because I thought I was 10lbs up. Ok...I know the amount of calories you have to eat and blah blah blah to gain weight. I told my trainer and she told me to stay off the scale until after the first of the year. She said that likely what I was seeing was water weight from eating salty and sweet foods and of course booze. I was having a really hard time understanding because I was going to the gym like normal. It was very hard and to confess, I did peak a few times. She ended up being right. I got on the scale this morning (forced to by my doc) and sure enough I had not gained anywhere close to 10lbs as a matter of fact it was more like I was close maintaining over the holidays.

I personally HATE the scale. Of course, I will always get on it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a week, it's about knowing your body and it's fluctuations. If a few extra pounds gained over weekend indulgence haven't gone by thurs it's time to rein in the cals for a while to get back down again.
    Set a fluctuation range say up to 4lbs, if you exceed that then time to get back on track.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Whether I'm trying to gain or lose, I never care about 3 pounds. Once it hits 5 pounds, I start to care. More than 6 pounds and I know it's not just a minor fluctuation - I'm either doing something very right or very wrong.
  • MommaWheezy
    MommaWheezy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's a Cobra waiting to strike. Never gain more than 5 pounds.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I weigh in about once a week, but what helps me maintain? Measuring. I measure my waist and I see immediate changes if I'm retaining water and bloated or having a 'skinny' day. Helps me re-evaluate what I should be eating (and drinking) that day.

Less red meat, salty foods, lighter fare like chicken and turkey instead. A few days of adjusting my food accordingly and I'm back to my normal size and typically my weight has balanced as well.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Maybe I'm oversimplifying but if you eat too much then you gain weight. If you're not losing, you're gaining (except if you can make lightning strike and eat exactly the same amount that you burn). If you overate during the holidays then you probably gained weight. Some of that is probably water (from too many carb and/or sodium). But the rest is well-earned fat. If you've been doing strength training then, technically, some of it could be muscle, too.

My point is that if the scale moves more than a few pounds AND you know you have eaten more calories than you have burned, why not assume you gained and then proceed with a slight caloric deficit to sort things out? That was a rhetorical question.

I'm not in maintenance yet but I have PLENTY of experience with how to gain weight. 1) Overeat, 2) Don't weigh yourself and 3) Ignore how clothes fit and what I look like in the mirror.

I'm sure you will get back on track. Good luck!!!

ETA: fixed some typos!!!
  • Happymelz
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Everyone before me has made some great suggestions and points.

For me, I have my range I stick to. Its a 3 lbs window. Once I get to the top of that range keep a close eye on things. If I pass that range by more then 2-3 lbs, then its time to re-evaluate what I've been doing, ie. eating more salty foods, not enough water, drinking too much alcohol, etc.

Up until this past thursday, I had seen no gain from the holidays. Then my husband came home from his work rotation, and we had a wedding to attend. This meant drinking alcohol, more food, more snacking, less water. I seen a 5 lbs gain. The last 2 days, I've been focusing on drinking water, to determine if its a true gain, or just water retention. Just 1 day alone and I am already down 2 lbs. A couple more days and I should be back in my 3lbs range.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I went "off plan" from the 12/21 to 12/31. Back on plan on the 1st and upon weigh in i was 23lbs higher and it was noticeable in my pants. Since then i lost the 23lbs and an additional 1lb so it looked to be all water weight.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You have to have enough data points for meaningful trend analysis. This is why I tend to weigh daily or at least 3-4 days per week. I know I'm going to fluctuate 3-5 Lbs any given day throughout the week and that doesn't bother me...but it gives me enough data points to get a good average.

That's what I do. as John Walker explains in The Hacker's Diet (see the chapters on "Signal and Noise" and "Perfect Weight Forever"), if you compare your daily weight to its exponentially smoothed moving average, you can identify trends relatively quickly.