Calories from sauteeing with oils?

Options
EDollah
EDollah Posts: 464 Member
Just curious, is all of the oil absorbed into the food when you sautee and therefore all calories from the oil should be included? That is, if I put 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a pan and sautee whatever with that, will I end up consuming all 90 calories or does some percent evaporate? I always take the conservative route and log all of it but I was wondering if that assumption was correct.

Does it differ by type of oil? Does what is being sauteed matter (due to absorbance)?

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    oil has no water and does not evaporate. You are eating whatever is not left in the pan, and good luck measuring that. It is also more than 90 calories/tablespoon.
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I cook with any type of oil I log it in servings. So say I use 1 tablespoon of olive oil in food that serves 4, I will log .25 tablespoons. Its not perfect, but accounts for it at least.

And EDollah, great progress!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I log it all.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I believe that you are really consuming most, and probably all of it. Whatever is left on the pan is minimal. I've never gotten a good answer though. Just what my brain tells me.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Log it all. Also 1 tbsp of olive oil is more than 90 kcals, I'm pretty sure...
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. As for it not being 90 calories/tbs, that's what the current bottle I'm using shows on nutritional info.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    EDollah wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. As for it not being 90 calories/tbs, that's what the current bottle I'm using shows on nutritional info.

What do you use?

I haven't seen less than 100 for a tablespoon. I use goya and it's 120.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There are not meaningful differences in the calories of different types of oil. It's all 120 calories, give or take a few. Fat is fat.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    There are not meaningful differences in the calories of different types of oil. It's all 120 calories, give or take a few. Fat is fat.

That's what I thought too - 120kcals per tbsp
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I log it all because I figure I'll get those calories back in restaurant meals and unweighed granola bars. Your body doesn't mess up calorie math, even if you do.