Need an Alternative to Sugary Flavored Yogurt!

Options
phoenixhoosier
phoenixhoosier Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've been following a meal plan for a while and I've noticed that several items contain a lot of sugar - namely the Yoplait Light Yogurt - 10g of sugar! I need an alternative that will give me the dairy and protein minus all the sugar. I have a high quality protein powder in Orange Creamsicle that I think would do the trick. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Chls122
    Chls122 Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like plain greek yogurt sometimes I add peanut butter sometimes I'll add some jelly (only about 1/2 tablespoon). Sometimes add chopped nuts and agave or honey instead of peanut butter. Seems to help keep the sugars down but still satisfies my sweet tooth. Another nice combo is raw cacao powder and agave. Also, I have taken plain greek yogurt and protein powder and that's really tasty too, the powder mixes well into the yogurt.
  • phoenixhoosier
    Options
    Great ideas. I'm going to try mixing the protein powder with the Greek yogurt and see how that tastes. Thanks! B)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd do plain yogurt and then add your sweeteners
  • takumar
    takumar Posts: 42
    Options
    I mix one part berry yogurt to two parts plain yogurt. Sometimes sprinkle with cereal for texture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been following a meal plan for a while and I've noticed that several items contain a lot of sugar - namely the Yoplait Light Yogurt - 10g of sugar! I need an alternative that will give me the dairy and protein minus all the sugar. I have a high quality protein powder in Orange Creamsicle that I think would do the trick. Any thoughts?

How many grams are in plain yogurt?
    I add previously frozen fruit to mine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt and throw in some mixed berries.
  • mezeade
    mezeade Posts: 19
    Options
    Plain chobani with a few blueberries.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt will still have about 10g of sugar per serving.
  • eatmyownhand
    eatmyownhand Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Have a look at the kids yogurts , the ones my kids eat have a lot less sugar (surprising I know) than the adult varieties I have found.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How is 10 grams "a lot?"
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Plain yogurt will still have about 10g of sugar per serving.

I don't know how much you serve, but a plain unflavored yogurt will have about 4-5 grams of carbs / 100 grams of yogurt. Of that, 0 % will be added sugar, so what you get is whatever lactose the milk is carrying.
  • twerps4jesusjo
    twerps4jesusjo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love Kroger's Carbmaster Yogurt! Lots of flavors, low carb and only 60 calories! My favorite flavors are peach, white chocolate with raspberries, Pina Colada, and key lime. :)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Because of the lactose in it, any plain/natural/greek/fullfat/lowfat yoghurt is going to have a decent amount of sugar per serving unless it's been highly processed; it's just how it is. but if you want to flavour your yoghurt, some berries and some cinnamon always does the trick for me.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Because of the lactose in it, any plain/natural/greek/fullfat/lowfat yoghurt is going to have a decent amount of sugar per serving unless it's been highly processed

No, it will hardly be "a decent amount". It'll have around 4-5 % sugar. Which is less than what you'll get from a carrot, and about one third of what is in a potato.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Plain Fage 0% or 2% plus fruit is tasty. Basically go with plain greek yogurt and add stuff to it yourself.

I actually prefer non-Greek yogurt with protein powder since it mixes better and you get the protein anyway, but it's all what you prefer. Also, many people prefer whole milk yogurt. I like them sometimes, but usually don't perceive enough of a difference to my taste (all greek yogurt is pretty creamy in texture) to justify the additional calories, and the Fage only shows up as 0% or 2% in my stores. (The claim some will make that it has added sugar is false, though. The plain Fage does not.)
  • phoenixhoosier
    Options
    I'm open to other non-yogurt alternatives. In general, I'm looking at my daily sugar intake and according to myfitnesspal, I'm eating too much sugar. I may just review my current meal plan and swap out processed items with something 'cleaner' or fresh.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to limit sugar? Sugar is just a carbohydrate. Are your carbs in line? If so, then sugar can safely be ignored. No reason to double count. Personally I keep saying MFP needs to replace "sugar" with "fiber" as sugar causes way too much confusion and for all but a very small subset of people it's irrelevant.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Because of the lactose in it, any plain/natural/greek/fullfat/lowfat yoghurt is going to have a decent amount of sugar per serving unless it's been highly processed

No, it will hardly be "a decent amount". It'll have around 4-5 % sugar. Which is less than what you'll get from a carrot, and about one third of what is in a potato.

I suspect one difference here is that Francl27 is talking about 0% and you are talking about whole. If you look at Fage, you are right--about 4.5 grams per 100 calories for the whole. If you look at the 0% it's more like 7 grams (which seems entirely acceptable to me too, but then I've been known to eat a banana from time to time). Significantly, this difference is NOT because there is added sugar in the 0% here, as some like to claim for some reason that mystifies me, but because there is more yogurt in 100 calories of the 0% due to the lack of fat. (I'm not against full fat yogurt--I just think full fat, low fat, and skim dairy all have their place and are all perfectly acceptable and delicious foods.)

Edit: Hmm, I see that the OP is talking about non-Greek yogurt. The Yoplait Lite Blueberry seems to get its sweetness from blueberries plus some sucralose (Splenda), not added sugar. Not sure about the other flavors, I don't eat that kind and just looked at one on the website out of curiosity. When comparing with the USDA estimate for 100 calories of plain skim yogurt or the TJ's brand of the same, it actually has less sugar (10 g vs. 14 for these products). So switching to plain seems unlikely to help. On the other hand, switching to Greek plain could if you like it, and pick between fat levels based on your preference and the macros you want. (Or don't worry about it.)
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I like plain greek yogurt but I add tablespoon of a honey or strawberry preserves to it.
  • Catherder58
    Catherder58 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Please ignore. Accidently posted under husband's login and I can't completely delete the post.