I am SO hungry!

Options
I'm doing my best to follow my calorie recommendation, eat lots of protein and drink all my water, but oh my God I am so hungry still! Is anyone else having this problem? Is it possible the site's estimates doesn't work for me for some reason? (I'm 5'11, so pretty tall for a woman.)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What do you have your calories set at? How many pounds did you pick to lose a week? If you're doing 1200 calories or trying to do 2 lbs a week - then yes it is possible the sites estimates aren't working because they're too low.

If you have a reasonable goal set and are eating a reasonable amount then you might just need to get used to eating less than you normally do.
  • melissagall75
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I started tossing in whey protein shakes once or twice a day. It helps but it seems like I'm hungry before long. I tend to not feel satisfied.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What are you calories set at?

I would recommend opening up your food diary for people to provide suggestions/assistance.
  • Commgirl1
    Options
    I set it to try to lose 2 lbs a week. So I'm 5'11 about 270 lbs (the pic here is back when I was skinny lol) and it says I can only eat about 1500 calories a day
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Can you offer any more information about yourself or open your diary? How many calories are you eating? Are you using the MFP and eating calories back or TDEE method? How much do you weigh? What is your goal?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary. Protein rich foods keep me fuller longer than high carb fare. But that's just me though.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 120. I eat 1500. It just doesn't seem like enough food for you.

If you keep it set at that amount, you could try breaking down your food into smaller meals that you eat more frequently. I eat a bunch (up to 6) smaller meals a day. Healthy fats and fiber are really important in staving off hunger as well as protein.

I don't classify my food diary with "meals" and "snacks." I just name them meals 1-6. Doing that helped me get over the feeling that I needed to be eating more calories at a "meal."
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have some really general tips for hunger that might help:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Commgirl1 wrote: »
    I'm doing my best to follow my calorie recommendation, eat lots of protein and drink all my water, but oh my God I am so hungry still! Is anyone else having this problem? Is it possible the site's estimates doesn't work for me for some reason? (I'm 5'11, so pretty tall for a woman.)

You have one day logged under 1700 calories consumed ...
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Set your protein higher and carbs lower. I tend to be more hungry on days I eat more carbs than protein. Today, for example, I had a small subway turkey sub for lunch and was starving by supper.
  • Commgirl1
    Options
    Brian,

A) Thanks for begins so supportive :P

B) The first two days I just wrote down what I was eating normally; the last three days I was trying to stay at the roughly 1,550 mark and (as you so helpfully pointed out) coming in more around 2,000. But the hunger issue is the reason for that. I plan out my meals the day before and work it out so it'll be about 1,500 calories. I do fine right through dinner (which is like 6 lets say). But then I'm still starving and out of calories so I end up going over on snacks in the evening.
  • Commgirl1
    Options
    Set your protein higher and carbs lower. I tend to be more hungry on days I eat more carbs than protein. Today, for example, I had a small subway turkey sub for lunch and was starving by supper.

That's exactly what I had for lunch today, too. Darn Subway! lol
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    That seems really low to me too. I'm eating about 1500 and I'm 5'3" and weigh 168. It does take time to get used to your lower calories, but you shouldn't be starving all the time. Maybe you could try more like 1800 and see how your losses look after a month and reevaluate.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I let myself eat up to 2,000 calories a day. In the morning, I usually eat eggs and yogurt. In the afternoon, a sandwich with some raw veggies and dinner is usually chicken with a veggie and salad. Also drink lots of water, I also snack. When I get hungry, I grab a piece of cheese, nuts, or raw fruits and veggies. This year I am determined to lose weight. I am 5'7 and 281 pounds, and I think the reason why I failed so many diets is because I was always hungry. Eat when you need too.
  • LegendaryOutlaw
    Options
    6'0" cw:183 lbs and trying to eat ~1280 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I'm just trying to enjoy the hunger and drinking tons of water. I never log all the water but it's probably 12 cups a day. I'm trying to avoid carbs because they just make me more hungry.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    6'0" cw:183 lbs and trying to eat ~1280 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week. I'm just trying to enjoy the hunger and drinking tons of water. I never log all the water but it's probably 12 cups a day. I'm trying to avoid carbs because they just make me more hungry.

Enjoy the hunger of eating too little to provide nutrition for an inactive male? OK ...
  • kugler93
    kugler93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From my understanding fiber is slow digesting and a good filler. In the morning I eat fiber cereal with a banana and it keeps me full till lunch. I also do a shake sometimes. I originally had that problem be I'm trying to stay at 1400 calories a day but I haven't had a problem since. Remember to eat whole grain/wheat food. 1-2cups of salad every meal plus fat free dressing follow by a low calorie meal will help. I usually do tuna and wheat bread , etc
  • kugler93
    edited January 2015
    Options
    And remember that your body burns like 40% or something close to that number of protein in digestion and carbs are a really low percent. But don't let carbs scare you. People make them out to be a bad thing. You NEED carbs but make sure they're heslthy carbs,that is where you get your energy
  • kugler93
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great as well
  • jackie26us
    jackie26us Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm 276 pounds and 5'4" and mine is set up to 1380 a day. I make sure I workout and add it then that bumps me up to 2206 calories that I'm allowed. Workout and add that and it should help. Plus eat fiber and protein foods to fill you up.