lower carbs, higher protein

Options
I have been on this site for a few years and have lost down from initially almost 230 pounds. I took up a pescatarian diet in summer of 2012, as well as working out at the gym, which is when a lot of the weight loss started to occur. I got as low as 146, but injured my knee May 2013 and now have arthritis issues in both knees which makes doing the amount of exercise I want to do kind of difficult. As a result, I am back up to about 155. Still fairly good, however, my goal was 140 and I would still like to get to that if I can. I am currently 54 years old. I have been observing my diet recently and notice I keep eating in too many carbs and am coming up way short on protein yet am eating like I have been over the past couple of years.... Since I cannot exercise at the intensity I want to, I believe I must modify the diet but am not sure what exactly to do to cut carbs and take in more proteins. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• GrittyCat
    Options
    There are some really good protein shakes out there, if you can get yourself in the habit of drinking one or two of them a day, especially when you find yourself craving carbs, it may help. Look at some meal replacement shakes comparisons through Goggling it and I think you'll find something. Be careful because a higher price doesn't always equal a better product when it comes to these protein shakes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day to include more protein, this in turn will lower the amount of carbs you get.
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just found out that watercress is a super low calorie food. I have been eating cupfuls of it in the last few days! I think it's a good way to satiate hunger and potentially lower carb intake. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    why do you need to lower your carbs? I would assume that having a pescatarian diet would naturally result in a higher intake of carbohydrates, similar with vegetarians. Carbohydrates aren't inherently evil, but yes...protein is important.