Switching from losing to maintaining your weight

Options
So I've reached my target, and I keep pushing it a little bit more but when do I stop and switch to maintaining my weight?
When did you know you had lost enough and switch? Thanks x x

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    When you've reached your target.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I hit my target and maintained for about 4 months. I've now decided to do a very small cut to get rid of a bit more body fat (will try it for 10 months to see how I feel) and will go back to maintenance again. I would like to be at a weight where I can maintain easily and yet still feel good.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So you have reached your target - why wouldn't you switch to maintenance?
    I'm confused!

If you aren't sure your current weight is what you want to be why don't you maintain for a while and then reassess in a few months? I ended up nibbling a few extra pounds off in a series of steps. What you do now doesn't have to be forever but you will need to learn how to maintain so why not now?
  • crazymissdaisy2014
    Options
    I suppose I'm not really sure if I have lost enough? I've gone from 90kg I've just hit 70 kg and I'm 168cm which makes me just in the normal weight area for bmi but not sure what is an ideal weight for me personally.... I don't know whether I should push myself harder to lose a bit more or just maintain where I am...

I suppose how did you know what your ideal weight was? what made you choose your target weight? Did you keep going till your weight stopped coming off? Or were you happy at a certain weight?
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For me, my original target weight was 150. I lowered it to 135 because I still wasn't happy at 150. I'm at 139 now and I am hoping that 135 will be good because I still am not happy at 139, but I can go down to 125 at the least and not be in the too low weight on the BMI scale. I'm 5'9.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My target was about half a stone what I'd been in my twenties as I didn't want to be quite that thin. I think this was a good goal as I ended up the same dress size as back then.

So you've got three options,
    1) Continue as you are and lose another 5lb.
    2) Find your maintenance, maintain for a couple of months and then review.
    3) Increase your calories but lose at a slower rate until you hit maintenance.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I understand your dilemma. I would like to lose a bit more body fat myself so I basically set my goal to lose 1/2 pound a week. I feel comfortable with the amount I am eating and my exercise levels. If I lose weight I lose weight, if I don't then I don't. I'm not where I was when I entered college so I know there is still room to go. However, not quite sure yet if I want to get there. Eating and exercise levels right now are my focus not the weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd switch slowly by adding 100 calories a week.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had a 5 pound target I was looking for. I celebrating hitting the top but kept on the 500 calorie deficit until I hit the bottom. I was losing very slowly at that point. Then I upped by 250 and saw what that did. I wanted to bounce around every day like I do and stay within that 5 pound range.

BTW, my weight has stayed stable for 3 years and I have lost a lot of fat and gained a lot of muscle during that time.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I would look at things other than the weight itself. Look at your measurements and see if you are happy with them. Does your body look like you want it to look? Is you waist circumference at a healthy level? Do you still have pockets of fat on certain areas that you want to get rid of? If you do, try to lose a bit more. If you don't, then it seems to me you should switch to maintenance.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm not really sure if I have lost enough? I've gone from 90kg I've just hit 70 kg and I'm 168cm which makes me just in the normal weight area for bmi but not sure what is an ideal weight for me personally.... I don't know whether I should push myself harder to lose a bit more or just maintain where I am...

I suppose how did you know what your ideal weight was? what made you choose your target weight? Did you keep going till your weight stopped coming off? Or were you happy at a certain weight?

You could try this: calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html

I'm not suggesting that a calculator like that should be the final word. I think a better approach is to look in the mirror and decide whether you like what you see. It's not at all uncommon for people to hit their target weight and then find that they don't quite look like they thought they would at that weight. If that's the case, then it's time to set a new goal. And it doesn't necessarily mean more weight loss. You might be more satisfied after starting a strength training program, adding muscle while maintaining the same weight.

In the end, you're the only one who can decide whether or not you're at your ideal weight.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I plan to switch to maintenance when I hit the bottom of my range. The top of that range is in about 5'ish lbs time, but I won't know the bottom until I reach it. When I do, that will be the trigger to switch to maintenance for me, at which point I will most likely reverse out of my diet slowly for maximum metabolic boost (ala reverse dieting).

For me, top of range = maximum weight I am comfortable with. Bottom of range = lowest weight I am comfortable with/ that I'm both comfortable with and is realistic to be able to sustain. The visual aspect of how I look to myself will be the most important part of determining these weight levels for me.
  • nxd10
    Options
    The nice thing about maintaining is that if you hit a goal and stay there for a while, you can always lose more if you decide to. OR you can set a new goal and build more muscle and lose issues and stay at the same weight. I lost 3" on my waist and 2" on my hips while staying at the same weight in maintenance. And I'm not even trying. If you work at it, you could look fantastic. There's more to all this than weight.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I decided to switch to maintenance when my weight was in a healthy range and my body fat was down to a level that seemed OK for my age. At this point, weight isn't that important. I'm going to maintain for a few months, while continuing to run, bike, and do strength training. This summer I'll reassess where I'm at and whether I'm happy continuing as is.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    The nice thing about maintaining is that if you hit a goal and stay there for a while, you can always lose more if you decide to. OR you can set a new goal and build more muscle and lose issues and stay at the same weight. I lost 3" on my waist and 2" on my hips while staying at the same weight in maintenance. And I'm not even trying. If you work at it, you could look fantastic. There's more to all this than weight.

I just love this (I assume) autocorrect typo: "You can set a new goal and build more muscle and lose issues."
  • juliemarie422
    Options
    When I reach my goal weight (1 pound to go), will MFP change my daily calorie goal?
  • nxd10
    Options
    No. You need to change it manually by entering a new goal of 0 pounds/week gained and lost.
  • nxd10
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »

I just love this (I assume) autocorrect typo: "You can set a new goal and build more muscle and lose issues."

Yeah, that would be me. Inches! I meant inches! But issues would be nice too.

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

This is my hope. Do you mind if I ask what kind of exercise you are doing to lose those inches?
  • Hannafordsean
    Options
    Just started on here and unsure how it works but some friendly advice :)
    Never use BMI, either take measurements or progression photos and keep track yourself or get your anthropometry taken (body fat percentage) by a reputable provider. These are the best measurements to keep track of. If you feel fantastic, then just maintain! Work out your typical calorie expenditure and eat the appropriate calories within healthy options :)
    In regards to exercises, its a basic website but I have found ExRx to be beneficial to target those unwanted inches :)