If I dont have time to exercise will I still lose weight?

Options
I have a very busy schedule working full time and going to school full time so finding time for the gym is a little difficult. I just started at this again and am eating 1200 healthy calories a day, I know about the whole calorie deficit and just making sure that I eat below the deficit of what MFP says but I'm still worried that if I dont have time to get any exercising in that Im not going to be losing at all.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    As long as you're weighing and logging all your food, and sticking to your deficit, you will lose weight without exercise.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 10kgs (22lbs) in 2mths with zero exercise. I'm nearly at my goal weight.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why eat below the deficit MFP already provides?

Not having time for exercise is usually not prioritizing time for exercise.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    sure. it's all about calorie deficit. Don't under-eat....eat all your calories, 1200 isn't very much to begin with, and eating less that that can actually work against you. Take care of your body...feed it right!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you keep a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. That said, move when you can. I have a full time job and a part time job and I fit it in when I can. Park further. Walk to see folks instead of calling. Take the stairs rather than the elevator... it all adds up to better health. Good luck!
  • nicolecharvel21
    nicolecharvel21 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 10kgs (22lbs) in 2mths with zero exercise. I'm nearly at my goal weight.

That is great!! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Great job as well!!!
  • nicolecharvel21
    Options

No, its that I am a full time student and work 40-50 hours a week so any time outside of my studies is literally when I sleep. My priority is my studies and work along with making sure that I eat healthy as well. Once I graduate this year..YAY :) I have intentions of making exercising a top priority again, just right now there are more important things going on in my life.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you have time to look at an online forum, you have time to exercise.

I did notice that you didn't answer why you eat below your MFP set goal which includes your deficit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You don't understand how it all works, then, right?

HINT: exercise is superfluous - not one iota of a single calorie spent on exercise is needed.

It is necessary, and *sufficient* to create a calorie deficit. Nothing else matters for weight loss.

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options

No, its that I am a full time student and work 40-50 hours a week so any time outside of my studies is literally when I sleep. My priority is my studies and work along with making sure that I eat healthy as well. Once I graduate this year..YAY :) I have intentions of making exercising a top priority again, just right now there are more important things going on in my life.

If you have that much activity in your life, you need to be eating more than 1200 calories.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Check out the 7 minute workout if you feel you really want to do a little something.

It's not necessary for weight loss though. Figure out how many calories you need to eat to lose about 1 lb a week and do that. MFP sometimes sets people too low, so you may want to calculate your "TDEE" instead and reduce that by 20% so you can lose slowly, sustainably. At least, that's what I read here by the people who've successfully lost weight and kept it off.
  • nicolecharvel21
    Options
    If you have time to look at an online forum, you have time to exercise.

I did notice that you didn't answer why you eat below your MFP set goal which includes your deficit.

Me eating under my deficit is referring to eating 50 calories tops from it just because its what fits in my daily foods that I have planned and its what Im full off of. I dont feel like I need more food, I would rather eat a tiny bit under than over.
    Oh and Im multi tasking...kind of something that I have to know how to do when I do already have a full plate already of priorities.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    WOW! How big of a calorie deficit did you have to create to do that?

• nicolecharvel21
    Options
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    Check out the 7 minute workout if you feel you really want to do a little something.

It's not necessary for weight loss though. Figure out how many calories you need to eat to lose about 1 lb a week and do that. MFP sometimes sets people too low, so you may want to calculate your "TDEE" instead and reduce that by 20% so you can lose slowly, sustainably. At least, that's what I read here by the people who've successfully lost weight and kept it off.

Thank you. Ill definitely check that 7 minute workout out, I also was thinking about that Tony Hortons 10 minute one as well from beachbody. I have calculated my TDEE and reduced what I got from there by 20% and MFP was actually a lot closer than I anticipated which is nice. I was just thinking something is better then nothing. Thank you :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    WOW! How big of a calorie deficit did you have to create to do that?

I do alternate day fasting. I eat my tdee on one day and up to 500 calories the next day. It was a little tough at first, but now I look forward to my fasting days and will be a bit sad when I hit my goal weight. Not cos of the weight lost, just because I enjoy those free and easy fasting days.
    But I will be incorporating fasting in some form forever. I'll do the 500 calories one or two days a week to maintain.

• bonofication
    bonofication Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it's nice to lose weight without exercise, but I made sure losing was NOT the reason why I work out or eat clean (not %100 clean, or even %90...). I wanted to be healthy. I wanted to be able to run and walk without feeling like dying animal afterwards, and stuff like that... It's just you need to find your reason to exercise and then go from there :) Good luck!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You can use a step counter to keep track of how active you are just living your life. 10,000 steps in a day can work out to 500 calories burned/day from activity. That's 1 pound/week lost. You may be more active than you think. Good luc :)
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

You go girl! And yes, I definitely was able to lose weight just eating at a deficit when I was in a similar position a few years ago (working full time and school full time) - I exercised only occasionally and still lost.