after dinner snacking

Options
I do really well all day. It's not until after dinner that I want sweets. I try to make the best choices but end up adding many calories to the end of my day. Any advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Save room for a dessert every night? I usually leave about 200-300 for myself.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I usually save 200 or so calories for the evening and plan a treat that I really want. That way I feel indulged, but have it pre-planned.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Save calories for your snacking ..I generally have 2-300 calories left ...if it manage not to snack then I save them to even out the week
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters...also, maybe you aren't eating enough during the day? Maybe you have your calorie goal set too aggressively low? I have noticed that the more i eat early on in the day, the less likely i am to overeat at night.
  • Bruyere_62
    Bruyere_62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to want something sweet after dinner I plan for it. I save calories and then plan out what I'm going to have to fit in it. If it is planned and portioned before you reach the "tipping point" then I find it is easier to control the craving and avoid the binge.

If I let myself get past the "point of no return" I will indulge too much.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I have two tips for evening snacking:
    1. A healthy snack around 3-4 pm can greatly reduce cravings in the evening.
    2. No sweets in the evening before dinner. I've noticed that even one or two bites of sweets before dinner primes me to crave tons of sweets after dinner. However, when I wait until after dinner, I can feel satisfied with one serving of sweets.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sweet Freedom Fudgesicles.....two for 70 calories -- they're great!!!
  • tezac80
    tezac80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow this is some great advice, I usually have the same problem and would always go over my calorie's. I'm going to try from now on to save 300 cals and see if it makes a difference.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have been trying to set aside calories for a 4 pm. snack and an after dinner snack. I have major munchies after I take my night time meds so I am trying to save 300+ calories and already have a snack prepared so it's not a "raid the pantry" type night. I am just getting started with this habit so we'll see.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great ideas! I just need to keep my sweet tooth in check because once I start, it's hard to stop. I crave chocolate!
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like to drink herbal tea or decaf coffee. Sometimes I'll save calories for a yogurt or something in the evening, but I generally try to avoid nighttime snacks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your day to incorporate snacks in the evening.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    plan better...plan that snacking into your day...pre-log your days and include those things in your plan for the day.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It might also help to have high protein snacks through the day (e.g. low fat yoghurt, nuts, cheese or hard boiled egg). I tend not to crave sweet things as much on the days where my protein is closer to my goal.
  • fancinancifivestar
    Options
    I generally do well, but lately I have been late night binging! I am underweight at this point for many months now! But 12yrs ago I lost 112lbs! Which brought me down to a very thin 116lbs! Somehow my weight just started to lose weight all the way down to 98.5lbs!! Looking HORRIBLE!! So in trying to put weight on I started my OLD SCARY HABITS!! Like binging on candy ant tons of other sweets plus salty high fat foods! My weight has gone up to a more normal but still thin body! But I am SO SCARED TO GAIN BACK ALL THAT WEIGHT!! This late or from after dinner on binging is making me feel sick bloated (VERY) with NO ENERGY to do anything after! I REALLY NEED SOME HELP TO DO THIS NORMAL AND FEEL SANE AGAIN!! I SERIOUSLY NEED SOME HELP SUPPORT TO GET BACK TO MY NORMAL EATING WAYS! ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP PLEASE!! ALSO HELPING SOMEONE ELSE WOULD ALSO HELP ME! So if I can help you that can help us both! So please get in touch with me! THANK YOU ALL! WISHING US ALL A HAPPY HEATHY NEW YEAR!!
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I make sugar free jello and buy whipping cream. I can make up homemade whipped cream and that gets the craving under control .. easy stuff to make too. Very very little calories !
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I always save room for a snack because i know i will want one! I usually have some quest chips and hummus or a quest bar...something along those lines...
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat an apple at night. Fruit seems to help me :)
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    and Kind bars - they are salty and sweet and only 200 calories normally
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a dessert each night, tonight it's choc orange ice cream. Occasionally, I don't want it and I just consider that a bonus low for the day (I calorie cycle and tend to make up any "low" days on the weekend).