Does anybody loose weight without knowing how much in pounds

Options
Problem is I hate the scale its just to much of a head game for me. Yes I know the measuring tape and how your clothes feel but sometime I wonder if I just think my clothes feels better, maybe I'm not so bloated or maybe I didn't take my measurements in the same spot. I don't have alot to loose maybe 20lbs and I excercise consistently 6 days a week. Wondering if there is no other alternative but to get on the scale or maybe I'm just too consumed with all the numbers - anyone else feel the same or have suggestions.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Measure and weigh your food.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Weighing and measuring yourself is just fun for keeping track. It has nothing to do with the actual weight loss.

You can lose without those things...and you might be happier doing it that way. :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Find an amount of time between weighing that feels comfortable. I never understand the weight every day people. If I watch the inevitable bouncing around that happens, it drives me insane. On the other hand, I've found that once a month isn't enought data for me. I hit on the best approach for my personality, which is every other week. When I was losing, it minimized the up down up up down down stuff and now that I'm maintaining, I feel more stable with this routine.

Also, although I do weigh regularly, my body consciousness is more about how my clothes fit and the feeling I get from being strong.

Btw, I lost about 27 - 30lb, depending on the week. ;-)
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself on July 1, 2013.... then forced to step on the scale at the end of November 2013 for a pre op physical... but haven't been on the scale since. Will step on it at the doctor this Friday 1/9. Banishing the scale from my life was the best thing I could have done and wish I'd have done it years ago. No clue what I weigh today. At the time of the initial weigh in 7/1/13, I weighed 230 (my all time high was 270). November 2013 weigh in was 177. It's now been 14 months and I am wearing a size 4. I will admit that I am very apprehensive about stepping on the scale this Friday. I may choose not to look. I don't know what the "magic" number is that would make me feel content. I HATE numbers... and that is why my checkbook looks like it does! lol
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I know it can be a head game, but I have tried not weighing many times in the past, and it was always a recipe for disaster for me. Therefore, I do weigh.

Not weighing works well for some people and doesn't for others. If you feel it may work for you, then you might as well try it. But personally, I'd still weigh once in a blue moon. Pounds can sneak up on you.

And yes, weighing and measuring should help prevent that...but I still personally wouldn't just throw away my scale forever. I'd still check once in a while. That's just me.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You can't manage (very well) what you can't (or won't) measure.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't weigh myself for a while, thought my jeans were tight, turned out I gained 15 lbs. I don't get upset about the numbers, though, it's more of a call to action.
  • GoRillaGo
    Options
    I'm going to try just weighing on the 1st of the month rather than daily or even weekly. I think it will give me a better average, and I won't psych myself out and eat worse cause I lost well, or sabotage myself because I'm not seeing the success I want.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ofc people lose weight without using the scale because what matters is being at a consistent calorific deficit. What you are doing though is denying yourself information and keeping yourself in the dark. One reason people like that information is becayse they can respond and alter strategy if needed.

Try it without or weigh less frequently say once every 2 months and see how it works for you. I like data and it doesnt freak me out, but as everyone else said find the method that works for you.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've lost substantial amounts of weight in the past without using a scale.

I actually really like forgoing the scale, measuring by the mirror and how clothes fit, and then getting on the scale after I know I've lost a considerable amount.

I do think the scale has it's place in weight maintenance. One of the biggest changes I'll be making this time around is weighing weekly during maintenance so that I'm always abreast of any weight creep.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's LOSE, not loose. If you don't want to weigh and you won't measure, then go by how your clothes feel.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For me the scale provides accountability, so I weigh frequently. I also use trend weight so that little fluctuations don't bother me so much.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    debants wrote: »
    Problem is I hate the scale its just to much of a head game for me. Yes I know the measuring tape and how your clothes feel but sometime I wonder if I just think my clothes feels better, maybe I'm not so bloated or maybe I didn't take my measurements in the same spot. I don't have alot to loose maybe 20lbs and I excercise consistently 6 days a week. Wondering if there is no other alternative but to get on the scale or maybe I'm just too consumed with all the numbers - anyone else feel the same or have suggestions.

When I went a long time without weighing or measuring I didn't really lose weight consistantly. I didn't gain weight but progress was very poor. I weigh once a week now, measure and take a picture once a month and it is enough information for me.
    As you lose weight, you would probably change your calories... If you don't ever weigh I would think you might not do that or not choose the right amount. I would say to set a time period like every 2 weeks, once a month or every 3 months to check in with the scale and measuring tape.
    I have seen the suggestion to take pictures of where the measuring tape is on your body so you know you are always measuring in the same place. If you are concerned about it then maybe you could do that.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have to avoid the scale because of a history of disordered eating. I had a grand smashing ceremony a few years ago. It was fab. :smiley: I was so glad to be rid of that head game. It had become all about the numbers, it was always about the numbers, and that overrode any success I may have had in exercising regularly and eating sensibly.

I have jumped on the scale a couple of times recently, just to make sure my calories were in the right range. I found out that I've lost less than what I look like I've lost, so avoiding the scale has been a good tactic. I've judged my success by the fact that none of my clothes fit me any more.

Like everything in life, it's about balance. If you hate the scale, use it, but maybe just once a month. It does mean that you have to stick to your plan the rest of the month, but I find it makes me focus on the process rather than the results - which leads to better results long term.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    *lose