What is your motivation?

Is it health, looks, confidence, career, or all of the above?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Health is first.

Feeling good and looking better are second and third.

All the little bonuses - like fitting in places I couldn't before and be proud of me and all that jazz - are fourth. :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    I have a VERY high stress life.. I am raising two special needs children and working a pretty demanding night shift job. Working out helps me in two ways.. It burns the stress accumulated and it also makes me stronger to better deal with the stress coming at me. No matter what goes on in my life now, my workout time is non-negotiable. Even when my daughter is critically ill and I stay at her bedside in the hospital (it happens once or twice a year), I pack running clothes and take an hour a day for myself for a run. It might sound selfish, but I am truly a better mom for doing this, she gets a much stronger mom to stay by her side the other 23 hours of the day.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Vanity
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    To look and feel better in my clothes... and naked.
  • Roxy_Arcane
    Roxy_Arcane Posts: 115 Member
    My health.. and body
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Because I don't want to be fat any more.

That's really it.

I can list all the reasons. All are logical. All make sense. Health, not wanting to embarrass my children, wanting to look cute in clothes again, wanting to be able to move around more comfortably, setting better habits for myself...the list could go on.

But even with all those reasons, it all boils down to one thing: I just don't like being fat. Even if, tomorrow, fat became the fashion, I still wouldn't like it. Even if some new amazing science proved that fat made people live longer and cured cancer, I still wouldn't like it.

So, bottom line: I don't feel I even need a reason.

I simply don't like and don't want to be fat.

And I finally dislike being fat more than I like eating.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    health reasons to look good, feel better, more energy, to fit in to my cool dresses/clothes and look good naked too hahahahaaaaa
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Motivation... hmmm...
    well i have a few.. i want to look awesome and be able to dress and feel confident like a 21 year old. But my big one is family ties so... South Korea, my cousins are slim and obviously i should be the same. I want to be able to be there and not want to constantly hide.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    My husband is ridiculously good looking and a lot of women quite openly stare at him when we're out and about.

I'm not concerned about him wandering off, but I don't want people to wonder why he is with that chubby chick. I also didn't want to be one of those newly weds that gets settled and fat and gross.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    To look good AND feel good. ;)
  • txwee
    txwee Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    I have alot of spare time and I want to spend that in a good way!
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Being 432lbs my main motivation was to get my basic hygiene back. I could not even wipe or clean myself back there and would get cramps when i try to maneuver around my mammoth of a gut.
  • Vanity is the main incentive for me to reach my goals, but also I want to prove alot of people wrong. I've been bullied a lot about my weight all through my life. I really want to rub the 'new me' ,whenever I get to that point, in their faces.

I'm on my feet alot doing hairdressing so I guess improving my stamina through regular exercise would be another motive?!

eh!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    I don't feel feminine as a fat woman. I really didn't like that I was larger/heavier than my husband (we're now about the same weight, but before I was over 50lbs heavier than him), and though he has never made my weight an issue in the least in the 15 years we've been married, it nevertheless made me feel embarrassed for him that he had a fat, unfeminine wife.

I'd wear makeup to feel pretty, and I felt like everyone knew I was a fattie who has to use makeup to feel even somewhat feminine.

Just a whole "I've failed as a woman" kind of feeling, which is also something that is in my power to change.

I want to be light, in weight, to experience the feeling of not being burdened by extra weight which effects my stride and speed and activity level.

I want to be small. And cute. And... just didn't and don't want to be some big huge imposing woman-ish thing anymore.

Disclaimer: While I understand and accept that many fat women feel feminine and pretty just as they are, I did not and do not.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Accomplishing a goal is it's owns motive. And I'm too old and untalented to learn the saxophone.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Two reasons (mainly):

1. Vanity - I liked how I looked when I met my husband at 35. I gained weight with him through eating bigger portions and not weight lifting/working out as much. I want to go back to that weight/look/feeling of being fit and lean. So I'm working out more and eating less. And getting back to my looks of over 10 years ago.

2. Health - both of my grandmothers and great grandmothers lived into their mid- to late-90s. Seeing my one grandmother living until 96 and still being able to do things on her own due to staying fit and trim is very motivating (after 96 she needed help but that was due to a stroke). I've seen so much about how weight lifting will help me when I get older that I don't plan on ever stopping. No broken hips for me!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    To feel strong.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Health first and foremost. My dad's been dealing with diabetes since he was 42, and as I was getting closer to that age I realized I was basically following in his footsteps. Beauty and confidence are also part of the equation, but not to anywhere near the same extent.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I WANT THE WHOLE PACKAGE, BABY!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    To live a long, healthy and happy life.