Do people close to you REALLY understand your goals and help motivate you??

Options
Just thought I'd make a post on something that came to my attention yesterday. As I came home from the gym and began preparing my post workout meal I was confronted with "why cant you just eat what we do" Now don't get me wrong my fiancée has always been supportive in whatever I do however this really surprised me. I replied that I would eat the same meal as my family as long as I weighed it out. To my even bigger surprise she said " what's the point in weighing it out why don't you just eat it". I then told her that I would never reach my goals and the body I wanted if I didn't commit myself 100% and track my food accurately.
These comments made me aware that it is left to the Individual to fully focus on their goals and that family and friends may never truly understand the commitment and dedication it takes for you to reach them. Even though you may feel in your comfort zone by talking to friends and family about your goals they will not always give you the best advice.
This is an excellent opportunity to reach out of your comfort zone and use a platform such as MFP to surround yourself with people who want to achieve their goals and possess the same mentality in dedication as you do. By staring a journey to reach your goals whether gaining weight or losing weight or whatever your goals may be you are entering into an area where you may not feel comfortable. Continue on this path and if you find that someone motivates you either at your gym or on MFP and you think to yourself " I wonder what they have done to get in such good shape" or " I wonder what their diet is like" then send a request or ask questions and I'm sure you will always find help.
It is not always easy to do but by surrounding yourself and focusing on the positive influences you have to reach your goals even though they might be a complete stranger rather than being a family member or friend you are already that one step closer to having that body you have always wanted.

Anyone have any similar Stories?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I must admit my bf gets a bit p'd off with me, if he's making dinner, when I ask him to weigh my steak (before it's cooked) etc.

When you get more used to it, you'll be able to eyeball stuff better. I can see your fiancées point a bit - she's probably made something nice that she hopes everyone will enjoy. I'd eat the same stuff occasionally if I were you, the odd ingredient isn't going to scupper your goals. And you could make something for both of you every now and again too - it's all about compromise (and GAINZZ obs :D)
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Hi Jason I completely agree. While my partner supports me in my weight loss because he is a bit of a fitness fanatic himself, he has been blessed with a fast metabolism and low body fat % which means that he looks amazing when he tries to eat well but when he doesn't, while he'll put on a couple of pounds or at most 7 lbs he will still look great and be nowhere near an unhealthy body fat % or weight.

This means that he will go through periods of eating a lot of junk and it's very tempting for me to join in.

Other than that, I have friends around me who are all smaller than me and who are used to seeing me the way I am and they constantly tell me I look 'fine' and I don't need to bother losing weight! This is really not helpful and as they are not in my position they can't understand how I feel. It's especially frustrating as most of them are around my height and my target weight/body fat level. They just can't see that while it's easy for them to be the way they are and maintain that without even trying, it's a lot harder for me. They simply tell me that we are all built differently and that I'm a bigger build etc. but it's simply not true. The truth is that I've not been blessed with good genes and I put on weight a lot easier than they do and I really have to watch what I put in my mouth to avoid putting on weight!

A couple of years ago when I lost around 16 lbs and before that when I lost 20 lbs all I got from them was comments about how I looked 'too thin' when in reality I was still bigger than they were. I find it really demotivating and it's almost like they were jealous that I was close to looking as slim as they were. Now I'm bigger again and trying to lose weight they tell me not to change and compliment me on how great I look all the time.

I would love to have more people around me going through what I am and that's why I find this site a great help. Nobody really understands what you're going through unless they have been there too.
  • nzchikky
    nzchikky Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not really. I feel like I get more support on here than from my family and friends. Nobody I know is really interested in a healthier lifestyle at the moment. I try to get family involved in exercise with me but it's just not happening
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think I've been in your fiancées shoes in not understanding why my husband just made more food/a shake after I just cooked or vice versa. Now I've learned that we have different goals, but as long as we support each other that is what matters.
    Since I do 98% of the cooking my husband only gave my a funny look once when he saw me weighing food, then he asked what I was doing and learned about the scale..smooth sailing ever since...but if he decides to cook for me I'll just very happily eat whatever he makes since if doesn't happen too often. :)
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've had people ask me that before. Once I started losing weight and wearing smaller clothes and looking better, they stopped asking. :p I agree with being able to estimate. I haven't logged in months, but I'm maintaining very well. Christmas added a few pounds, but nothing I can't control.
  • candirose69
    Options
    I actually find my husband very grounding. I can slip into an almost too focused mindset with my eating/exercising where I am totally overdoing it and spending more time and energy focused on what I am eating then I should.
    He is a very small build naturally but I find when he questions my obsessive behavior it's usually because I'm starting to go overboard.
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My partner although supportive in understanding I am going to the gym 3 times a week after work gets annoyed at the weighing of food and the logging into my phone. Even though he can see that doing this has enabled me to lose over 60 pounds so far. I too have "friends" that say things like "you don't want to lose anymore" or "you are getting skinny" ha ha when I am still considerably overweight - luckily I have people on here that are a great support and motivation and I also have friends that I have made at the gym that although they have never had the amount of weight to lose that I have they understand that I need to lose weight and get strong
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    by the way I should add that im always up to accepting requests from new friends that need support too :-)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think my friends always 100% get where I'm coming from - as far as they're concerned I'm slim and reasonably fit so I should be more relaxed about my dietary and exercise habits, which doesn't really address the fact that it's because I'm committed and enjoy working out regularly that I remain slim and fit! My enjoyment of running is definitely something I'm alone in. They support me generally and humour me, so that's more than good enough for me.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    Sometimes when you're going so far as weighing everything out perfectly people can, and most will, think it's a little excessive. I don't get upset over it, because I've seen my mother weigh out her food and automatically think "oh for goodness sake" then realise I'm probably waiting to do exactly the same thing. It can look very odd, or obsessive, but it's not until you get this app, dedicate yourself to calorie counting and fitness that you realise you do need to carefully measure/monitor everything if you want to stay on track.

Even though I do weigh a lot of things, log everything, sometimes not eat the same foods as my family etc, I still do think that some people can be far too excessive and/or obsessive with their food. For example, if I had a bunch of people round for dinner and someone was bulking or watching their weight I'd expect them to go for the healthy options and avoid dessert, perhaps. But I would not expect them to request special foods because they're on a special diet, or refuse to eat most of it. That's just rudeness, and one meal slightly off-goal in such situations is not going to ruin your plans.

Having said that, I have a few friends who I live with at uni who try to stay healthy and eat low calorie as well, so I'm quite lucky. However, one friend has a slight issue with food and her weight.She likes eating, and eats. But the problem is her pure obsession with food. She gets anxiety when she overeats or puts on a couple pounds. She hates the thought of someone else being lighter than her. So she will constantly ask me (and others) my weight, inspect my food, and tell me I'm not eating enough (once she had soup for dinner, and I had a big plate of fish and veg and rice and she told me I wasn't eating enough), and then complain about how she's stuffed her face that day in an attempt to make others around her eat more than her (at least, what her friends think the reason is). I feel bad for her, but she doesn't seem ill as she actually loves eating food, just slightly food and weight obsessed. So it's not that she doesn't understand people having and wanting to reach goals. She understands perfectly from her own experiences… but she isn't supportive of her friends. She encourages others to eat, and to eat junk food, and tells us we don't need to lose more weight, rather than helping us reach our goals.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Most people don't understand my goals, but it's not their concern and isn't important to me. Close friends either support me or let me be.
  • ell_23
    Options
    sorry for the super long post got carried away !
  • ell_23
    Options
    jakicooke wrote: »
    My partner although supportive in understanding I am going to the gym 3 times a week after work gets annoyed at the weighing of food and the logging into my phone. Even though he can see that doing this has enabled me to lose over 60 pounds so far. I too have "friends" that say things like "you don't want to lose anymore" or "you are getting skinny" ha ha when I am still considerably overweight - luckily I have people on here that are a great support and motivation and I also have friends that I have made at the gym that although they have never had the amount of weight to lose that I have they understand that I need to lose weight and get strong

Yes, my post was about a "friend" who says similar things. Lucky to have people on here who respect your goals whether you want to be 100 lbs or 250 lbs!