I need help PLEASE

Options
OK...I have been trying to lose weight since August 2010...and have not lost anything...well not really...I stay between 162 and 158... I CANNOT seem to get away from those numbers not matter what I do or dont do.... I am working out 6 days a week and burning an average of like 550-950 calories a day doing TurboFire and Brazil Butt Lift. I try to eat pretty health...limiting processed food and such...I drink a gallon of water a day (literally). I never drink soda and rarely have candy, cake, icecream or anything else like those things...so why the heck can't I lose any weight?? :explode: I did my measurements back in August and they have not changed at all. And even tho people have said I look thinner the scale is showing no loss and neither are my measurements...What the heck? :mad: I am also very confused about my calories for the day...do my net calories have to equal at least 1200 to not go into starvation mode? So if I workout and burn 700 calories do I need to eat 1900 for the day? Will I lose weight doing that or maintain...I really need some help and advise cuz I am really frustrated and sad that I cannot loss any weight even tho I am busting my butt exercising everyday... :cry: I've looked into zigzagging my calories and that confuses me too...the site I went to told me to do eat 1645 on monday 1316 on tuesday 1974 on wednesday 1645 on thursday 1481 on friday 1809 on saturday and 1645 on sunday...is that before or after my exercise calories?? It did ask me how much I worked out a week so I am assuming thats my total for the day including what I burned off?? AHHHH!!! See I need help and some clarification on things....please please please help!!! :sad:

Replies

• Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this for a few weeks, so I am probably not the best person to give advice. I think you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. I do at least. I am hungry so I eat plain and simple. The zig zagging sounds way to confusing to follow and I would get frustrated just trying it. Maybe talk to your Dr. Sorry I am not much help. Kuddos to you on sticking with it and seeking help to reach your goals! Good luck!
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have found that I have to eat between 1200-1300 net calories a day and that's when I will lose. Reduce your amount of exercise if you don't each that much during the day.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    Yes you have to eat to make up for those calories.
  • ladybug0958
    Options
    maybe relax the workouts some to cardio and dont starve yourself for sure...... Im sorry youre having a hard time and know its frustrating I have found that basic workouts not overdoing it and eating 5 small meals a day work miracles for me. Please let me know how you do .
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Yes, if you burn 700 calories with exercise you should be eating 1900 for a net of 1200. This is to lose. It's working for me. I'm guessing if you're not losing and not eating back your exercise calories that's probably reason. Trying eating more to increase your metabolism and see if that helps!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First, I think your calories might be a little on the low side. I would try up'ing them for a week and see if that makes a difference. Also, you need to eat back your exercise calories. Not eating them back often leads to too big of a calorie deficit and your body won't lose weight. If your calories are too low, you'll go into starvation mode and your body will hold onto the fat stores which equals no weight loss.

Have you checked to see what your BMR is? I would start there first. As for exercise calories, you'll probably get a lot of different answers for it, but I always recommend eating them back. When you put in your info and MFP gives you a calorie goal for the day it already figures in a deficit based on the information you put in. If you have it set at 1200 and you go to the gym and burn 500 calories -- you need to eat those 500 back to be at 1200 which is where you're supposed to be for the day. If you don't eat them back, your calories will be at 700 and that's too low.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say without looking at your food diary. Have your clothes gotten any looser since August? Remember 5 pounds of muscle takes up less space than 5 pounds of fat. When I weighed 125, I wore a size 7/8. When I weighed 145 and walked everyday, I wore a size 3/4. The difference was that I weighed more, but I had more muscle on me and less fat. Maybe you should have your amount of body fat tested. That would show you how you really are doing.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    What are you using to gage your burned calories? Do you have a heart rate monitor? If not, you may be over estimating your calories burned.
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have found success with the Primal Blueprint. Its a limited carb plan. You can google it and find lots of info. I also like Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat". The 1200 calorie rule is a baseline generalization,. it all depends on size. I am 6'4 and male so the 1200 calories for me is less significant.

The method that works for me is I follow the Primal Blueprint and then eat one "cheat" meal on the weekend to kick my body into confusion. Some people cheat once a month or every other week. I pretty much have cut bread out and yes, I have fallen off the wagon some but its about lifestyle and I take it day by day.

If you are not doing weight lifting I strongly encourage that and doing cardio everyday. The 3 day a week workout rule is for keeping in shape, to lose weight you have to work much harder.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    sometimes its a slower process for some, depending on what you are doing. As far as staying under the same weight but people compliemnt you, then that might mean you have heavy bones. The net calories is what you consumed, lets say for example you burned 700 calories in one day and your calorie daily goal is 1500, then that means that you get to eat the calories that you burned which equals 2200. I dont eat all my calories burned but since my daily calorie goal is 1400, I always burn about 300 - to 400 calories a day, so I tend to stay between 1500- 1600, sometimes I dont eat my burned calories because my body is getting used to eating less than 1400. I lost about 7 pounds in 3 weeks but thats becuase at irst you start to lose all the water retained in your body, then comes the hard part when you start lossing weight but slowly. Avoid sodas, bread, sweets, pastas, and mashed potatos that contains bad carbs and starch which turns into fat. Try eating a lot of veggies, cucummbers as snacks and add broccoli to your meals, this helps you digest faster and contains goos nutrients.. Your already doing a great job by dirnking a lot of water. Be patient and don't give up.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    sounds like you have the right parts to the equation just need to figure out how to put them together. I wouldnt worry about all that calorie cycling....until you get back on track.
    Yes you should be eating you exercise calories, and net what ever MFP has you minimum calories for the day. that is not considered maintaining. Maintaining is when you eat all the calories you burn in a day with out the deficit for weight loss,
    What are you eating? Sounds like you are on a crazy plateau!! Have you also incorporated weight training in your work out. That is what will help most with your measurements.
    I can only speak form experience and your diet is 80% of the total equation. If you are not getting enough fuel and not eating the right foods it can sabotage your whole thing.

I dont know if I helped or answered any of your questions.....but ....good luck!!
  • evseqvar
    evseqvar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I've been on the same wagon for a long time! The only thing I can tell you is that I realized the "weight" was stuck on my mind all the time, and that I never enjoyed when I ate anything. Even if it was a salad I kinda knew my weight was gonna stay the same. And I used to workout 5-6 days a weeks too!
    So I gave my mind some peace, and still trying to shut the voice that tells me "you're not gonna loose the weight, so why bother" and I am trying hard to repeat everyday to myself whatever I eat it's gonna do its benefit and Im gonna burn what needs to be burn.
    I never gave myself an applause because I was trying or anything so this time, this weight that bothers me so much will come off because I've change my thinking...
    Someone sais it takes a lot of patience, so I'm still waiting...
    Don't give up, keep it up!!!
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find it confusing determining exactly how many caloires I have burned. I swim and it relates to speed, weight etc...are you sure you are burning what you think you are? Also, try changing your settings and monitoring your sugar....sometimes even when all the other catagories are in line we can still take in too much sugar and that is counter productive...just some ideas....Good Luck!
  • smgapv
    smgapv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need to eat back at least half of the calories you are burning. It almost sounds like your body is going into starvation mode and has been there for some time. I find that when I have a week when I plateau if I alternate the amount of calories I am consuming I seem to lose. On a day where I work out lightly I will eat a little more-to come within 50 of my calories for the day. On a day where I work out really hard I will eat back at least half of my calories burned. I have a heart rate monitor and have done metabolic testing-I highly recommend both. They have taken my workouts and my eating to a whole new level. Hope this helps!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    First those calorie numbers are what will bring you to the number of calories you need to eat including your exercise calories.

As to why you are not losing, I cannot say. You have only been a member here since April, but this has been going on since August last year. I would suggest first of all make sure you do not have a health issue. That is a long time to be on a calorie restricted diet and not lose anything.

Looking at your food diary, if today is typical, you are eating well enough. So at the moment I am at a loss. The only thing I notice is you don't eat all your calories. You might want to start doing that. You also have days where very little is logged what is going on there? If that is all you are eating, you have to get out of that habit and eat all your calories. If you are choosing not to log everything on those days, you may be eating too much then and that will negatively effect your weight loss.
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you are zig zagging and got the numbers from the site -- that is the number of food calories you eat no matter what the exercise is you did the day. The zig zagging site counts the exercise into your calories that you need to eat each day.

For mfp, I eat about 1/2 my exercise calories back depending on how big the burn is. If I do a light calorie burn then I usually eat them all back but if I burn 800 cals in a day for a workout, I eat about 1/2 back because I see no sense in stuffing myself if my body is not hungry. If I am hungry though I do eat them. I just find the numbers for burning are so different from the site to my hrm to my bodymedia device watch to even the bodymedia website (same device but 2 different readers). So it is a tricky thing.

And I did notice there are days when you did not log --- I find if I don't log then it is usually a day where I went overboard. And believe it or not going way over your maintenance level just a day or two a week will find you losing the same 2-3 pounds each week. -- Water weight or whatever it may be!

Hang in there -- you will find your groove. Just keep experimenting with your calories, you will find the magic formula for you.
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options
    What are you using to gage your burned calories? Do you have a heart rate monitor? If not, you may be over estimating your calories burned.

I am using a heart rate monitor to gage my calories...I have the kind that has the strap that goes around your chest...dont know if that makes a difference or not...
  • turbogirl4christ
    Options

Looking at your food diary, if today is typical, you are eating well enough. So at the moment I am at a loss. The only thing I notice is you don't eat all your calories. You might want to start doing that. You also have days where very little is logged what is going on there? If that is all you are eating, you have to get out of that habit and eat all your calories. If you are choosing not to log everything on those days, you may be eating too much then and that will negatively effect your weight loss.

The days that dont have much are usually days where I just got too busy and didnt enter in my food for the day...I am a stay at home mom and some days things are just to hectic...lol Today's food is pretty typical to how I TRY and eat everyday...
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food? Are you on any medications some will hinder weight loss or cause weight gain which is basically the same thing? I can understand busy, but it might be wise to plan your menu for the day in the morning and eat that.
  • KristineAG
    KristineAG Posts: 36
    Options
    In my case, I've been taking a medication that has been shown to slow metabolism making it extremely difficult to lose weight no matter how hard I try. I don't know if this is relevant in your case but I think there are other things that can influence your progress other than calories and exercise - stress or depression maybe? Just a thought.