Pap smear results?

Options
Moop87
Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
I usually pride myself on seeing the positive, but I actually can't help but worry about this.

I received a call today from my OBGYN (while I was at work) telling me to call them regarding my test results. I was at work so I didn't get the call until I got home. By that time it was too late to call them back.

I can't recall receiving a call before saying the results were fine. Am I worrying over nothing?!

Replies

• Faith2FeelFabulous
    Faith2FeelFabulous Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Probably just a yeast infection. Common and treatable. I pray you get good news.
  • cbaines74
    cbaines74 Posts: 77
    Options
    More than likely you had an abnormal pap, possibly not enough cells for them to perform the test. I wouldn't worry about it, if it were something that was extremely concerning, they would have called you over and over until you were reached, I am a nurse and I know that is what is done for test results that are critical, hope this was helpful!!!
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for how it works here in England and with my particular doctor but here if there is a problem with the test result - either there was a problem with the sample or not enough cells and they need to take another - then they call you. Otherwise you just get a letter saying all is fine. So a call might not be bad news : \
    Fingers crossed
    x
  • Lullaby_Melodia
    Lullaby_Melodia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quite often they don't get enough cells to get a good result and the test has to be redone, this has happend to me a few times in the past... It is possible that is all they want... try not to worry untill you talk to them.
  • JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    I am always told to call them. My results always seem to come back abnormal, but when they test further, everything turns out 100% ok!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had a call like that.. 'oh, there was a problem with your pap...'. I immediately freaked out, until the nurse calling looked at the chart and found there were just insufficient cells. I hope it's the same for you!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

They likely found abnormal results, which isn't a bad thing. It could be just about anything. They will repeat the test and then if the results of that show abnormal cells they will call you in to investigate further.

I know it's hard, but try not to fret too much right now.
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My doctor calls to discuss any results with me, good or bad. My gynecologist is very good about getting my results right away.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen a few times, the reasons I have had have been because of too few cells on the swab or blood still showing.
    so try not to fret too much, it doesn't necessarly mean the worst.

I don't have a regular cycle hence it taking me over 10 years to have my children, but if I booked an appointment to get smear done you could garentee that I would have a TOM at that time - which lead to me missing quite a few call ups. I have just got back on track in the last month after not doing one for four years
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I got this same call about 2 years ago. I worried and fretted and panicked. I ended up calling them back and they told me that there were "abnormal cells" on my pap smear and I needed to come back in for a further exam. They basically just did another pap smear (under lights that you'd see at the dentist office, HOW CREEPY!! lol) and physically looked at the cells through a scope! Kinda invasive but then again, what isn't these days LOL

Mine kept coming back abnormal (for whatever reason) for a year and a half. I had to go every 6 months. After 1.5 years, all of a sudden it "fixed itself".

Your OBGYN is probably just taking proper precautions. IF something is "abnormal" that doesn't mean CANCER so don't let your mind go there. It's GREAT that your OBGYN is looking further, you know then that you're in great care. It could be a variety of things. If you've had a yeast infection, if you've been on antibiotics, if you've had a surgery, if you've had a baby. A LOT of things can cause a pap smear to come back "abnormal" but it will fix itself in time. NO FEAR!!!! You'll be fine :)

Don't fret like I did!!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Some docs have a staff member contact you even if it's normal. But even if you're not in a "high risk" category sexually, you can still have a result called ASCUS - stands for atypical squamous cells of unknown significance. It's not normal per se, but it's not super abnormal either. It's usually just a sign of inflammation (if you had some kind of minor infection, for example) and they'll repeat the PAP in a couple months to make sure it's normal then. I'm telling you this now just in case you get that result...it can sound scary when they say it but it's usually nothing in the end. :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they just need a do over. I've had them come back as abnormal before and had to go in for the joy all over again. When they came back the second time it was clear. It's not uncommon at all. That said, make sure you call your doc and follow up on whatever they suggest you do. Hopefully it won't be anything to worry about.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been called back to do it one again it was the lab and not me. If you've never had an abnormal pap before, you probably have nothing to worry about. Unless you have a big issue with having the pap done in the first place. :-)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I know you are worried and I wanted to somehow reassure you that even if the results were not so good, there are so many ways that medical science can help and fix whatever is wrong.

I've had somewhere around a dozen abnormal pap smears in my years (I'm 52). Some were bad samples, some were some type of infection, and two were not so good and had to undergo minor surgical procedures to fix the problem.

It wasn't easy, but it was all fixable and looking back I wish I hadn't worried so much.

I have this sense that you too will be okay. Try to relax knowing that even if there is a problem, there is help. And, of course support from us here.

Deep breath. :flowerforyou:
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I usually pride myself on seeing the positive, but I actually can't help but worry about this.

I received a call today from my OBGYN (while I was at work) telling me to call them regarding my test results. I was at work so I didn't get the call until I got home. By that time it was too late to call them back.

I can't recall receiving a call before saying the results were fine. Am I worrying over nothing?!

Oddly enough I have an appt with my DR tomorrow afternoon regarding test results. However, the nurse made it clear that it wasn't urgent or serious. Good luck to you!
  • Moop87
    Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well, I called this morning. As it turns out, they explained that they found endometrial cells on my pap smear. While they are normal, it is not normal to see them on a pap smear unless you are on your cycle. I actually started a week after my visit. I have to go in next Wednesday for a biopsy to make sure everything is OK.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I hope everything is fine and it was just a fluke. Hugs to you. :)