Losing Motivation Fast

Options
I always start a diet but find that I struggle with sticking to it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Set small goals. Do something or aim for something 1 week at a time, 1 month at a time. Whatever you think will keep you going. Once you accomplish one thing within the time frame, try something else (while continuing to do your previous goal). When you try to think of everything at once or accomplishing everything it can get very overwhelming.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    When I start losing motivation I spend some time on the success stories forum.
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is where you have to dig deep inside of yourself and decide how badly you want this. Do you want to be sitting here a year from now wishing you'd gotten started a year ago?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    you dont have to love every second, you just have to do it. That is what I told myself while I was loosing weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My suggestions:
    1. Have reasonable expectations. You didn't gain the weight all in one week and wont' lose it all in one week.
    2. If you are a complete beginner, focus on food first. Get a handle on that before adding in exercise. It may only take a week or two but easing into it is often easier in the long run.
    3. Eat at a moderate deficit. Bigger (deficit) is not always better. If you eat too little you will be hungry and miserable and more likely to quit. You don't have to be hungry all of the time in order to lose weight.
    4. Measure, measure, measure. Weigh your food. If you are good at it, you can use measuring cups and spoons but if you tend to cram as much as possible and use heaping spoonfuls, measure things by weight.
    5. Log your food and exercise, whether on MFP or another way. This will help you pinpoint problem areas.
    6. Once you start exercising, ease yourself into it. Don't go from zero exercise to six days a week an hour each day. That's a great way to hurt yourself. Start off a few days a week and add as you go along.
    7. Don't forget to have a day or two of rest from exercise. Your body needs time off to recover and recuperate from activity and repair your muscles.
    8. If you don't like a particular kind of exercise, don't do it. You don't have to be a runner or use an elliptical or do SL5x5 or pilates. Find one or more activities that you enjoy and you will be more apt to stick with them.
    9. As you lose weight, buy smaller clothes. Some people don't want to "waste money" by buying in sizes that they are just passing through. That's a great way to look like a hobo and feel like a frump. Pants that fit are encouraging and a reminder of how far you've come.
    10. Enjoy yourself as you get fit. Make it a lifelong pursuit, not a short-term effort.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    If you're losing it fast, you probably never had it to begin with. Lots of people have "desires", but true motivation helps one over come obstacles, setbacks and temptation. If someone held you down underwater and you started losing air, you'd fight, kick, scratch, etc. to come up and get that air. It doesn't have to be to that extreme level, but one does have to have that mentality if you're fighting for something you really want.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Schedule your workouts on your calendar. Hold yourself accountable. Get fitness buddies who will stay in touch and will know if you start slacking. Find fun activities as well as traditional type workouts. Hooping, dancing to music, sports with friends.
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote on here that is a great motivator, 'When you think about quitting think about why you started.'
    That takes care of any chance of losing motivation for me.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on motivation, and don't give yourself an option to quit. It isn't optional to record your calories, it isn't optional to stay within your calorie range, it isn't optional to go to the gym. You just have to do it. One of my favorite sayings: Motivation only gets you to the start, dedication is what takes you to your goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When you want it badly enough, that will be all the motivation you need.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Commit to logging everything even if you go totally "off diet". The data will help motivate you. Click that button at the end of the day when you're done logging that tells you the weight you are trending towards if you eat the same as you did today. Don't like it? Do something about it or accept that is where you're headed.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You don't need motivation

You need determination and commitment

So it's not easy? Nope, nothing is...be stronger!

Just pick your hard!
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My problem in this regard is the near constant desire to have affirmation that I'm on the right track. Losing "only" a pound a week is hard because of the lack of change most days. So I do try to focus on things I can do to eat better even if I never lose a pound! Like kicking the junk food and Coke habits, loading up on vegetables, eating chia and walnuts, avoiding white breads in favor of whole wheat, like that.