Intermittent fasting

Options
brandoncrofton
brandoncrofton Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been searching for many years for the health based lifestyle that fit my life schedule. I have a full time job, a wife and two kids. A couple weeks ago I began a 48 hour fast just to kind of take a break from my usual grind of fitting in 4-5 meals a day. Just prior to starting the fasting period I had consumed a large dinner of baked chicken and a sweet potato with broccoli. I got about 20 hours into the fast and I noticed that I felt unusually energetic and strong. I also noticed that my muscles seemed fuller. Not what I was expecting to experience. I had never fasted for a significant amount of time so I honestly had no idea what was happening. I went into my gym just to see if how I felt was simply a mirage or if how I felt would actually translate to applicable strength. I did a 45 minute free weight session and felt awesome. I was careful because I had never lifted in a fasted state before but I actually bench pressed ten pounds over my usual weight for reps. I decided right after that workout to research fasting and its affects on health. That's where I found intermittent fasting. I love the idea of more flexibility with nutrient consumption and worrying less about food. The only real concern I have is with long term energy loss. Has anyone read any good books on the subject of intermittent fasting? Are there any protocols out there that are worth checking out? (besides leangains). Any info would be much appreciated.

Replies

• AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is a good book that uses intermittent fasting principles.

http://www.engineeringthealpha.com/

• brandoncrofton
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and info. Ill definitely check it out.
  • blush08
    blush08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There is a page on fb called 5:2 diet which is intermittent fasting for two days of the week..micheal moslely wrote a book and horizon documentary on this and created the diet. have a read. the health benefits are meant to be astounding like reversing blood sugar cholesterol levels etc.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon intermittent fasting by way of researching Alzheimer's disease, to my great surprise. It was that Alz is related to insulin resistance in the brain (Type 3 diabetes) and that IF has an effect on insulin sensitivity and therefore possibly on Alz. Very interesting.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The books I've read are by Michael Mosley, James Johnson and Krista Varady. Bradpilon.com might interest you.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Although I have never read it, Eat Stop Eat is about IF.

You can also find lots of IF and training related information on the blog posts on leangains.com. I've been doing IF for a while now and that is where I first became exposed to the idea.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    These are the books I have. They're all much of a muchness. Dr johnsons book goes more into the science behind fasting.
  • Christine_72
    Options
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    These are the books I have. They're all much of a muchness. Dr johnsons book goes more into the science behind fasting.
    On the 5:2 diet, are you eating your TDEE on five days and the 500kcal on the two days? (I'm not going to do it, so I'm not going to buy the books -- just curious!)

• Christine_72
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    On the 5:2 diet, are you eating your TDEE on five days and the 500kcal on the two days? (I'm not going to do it, so I'm not going to buy the books -- just curious!)

Yes exactly right.
    I do alternate day fasting. And follow the same rules.
  • brandoncrofton
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I actually noticed your replies while walking aimlessly around Barnes and noble lol... I purchased two books by Dr. Johnson on the 5:2 diet and and a book by Michael Mosley. I also ordered two books written by mike Matthews "bigger, leaner, stronger" that is more training based guidance...I'm definitely interested in the science behind fasting and the more I research it the more testimonials I see where people have reversed some serious health issues (mostly related to poor nutrition and processed foods). Though I did not see the report about its potential impact on Alzheimer's. I will definitely look that up. Though all that intrigues me I'm more interested in the performance and aesthetic benefits.... Have any of you guys experienced any loss of performance in the gym? Or loss of energy?
  • aussiekimba
    Options
    Hello Brandon - are you still doing IF? I have been doing it for nearly 3 weeks and I think I'm doing better in the gym. I do the 8 hour diet method where you fast each day from 8pm - 12pm the following day. Sometimes I wait until 3pm to eat but when I do eat, I really go for it. I really enjoy the control I have these days of my food choice. I used to be a bad overeater but now it doesn't matter so much because I get fuller quicker
  • vecchi
    vecchi Posts: 23
    Options
    I do the 5.2 diet,I work as a cleaner but cope well enough to do my work,some days are better than others,I think it's doable with good results,I just need to not over indulge on weekends!