Define "healthy" food...

Options

Replies

• keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    keola64 wrote: »
    keola64 wrote: »
    Proven Fact:soda cause kidney problems and other health issues so how can anyone say that they are healthy while consuming carbonate drinks which comes from Co2? Poison to your body. LOL

LOL Really?

"In the human body, an atom of Carbon is attached to an O2 atom via osmosis in the lungs, as a way to eliminate a waste product. Humans exhale Co2 by the bucket, as do all animals on the planet which breathe air. After which, in a beautifully balanced dance of chemical interactions, trees and other plants take in the Co2 molecule then steal the carbon atom to use in their growth, liberating the Oxygen for some needy animal to inhale. Interestingly, as Co2 concentrations rise, plants get greener, more robust and better able to exchange it for O2."

Yes we exhale carbon dioxide because our body is discarding it as does our body disregard our waste, as trees and plants may breathe carbon dioxide it is poisonous to humans it's simple chemistry fact, if a human consistently breathes in carbon dioxide the human will die. How do you not know this ? all I stated was that co2 is bad for the human body not the rest of the earth. Lol

are you a plant because I guess if you are plant then yes carbon dioxide is healthy otherwise maybe you need some comprehension skills before you start quoting on stuff and maybe my grammar needs work but that's life, anyways you go ahead and think that carbon dioxide is healthy for humans because like I stated it's poisonous to humans and that's all I stated I never said it was bad for trees plants grass etc
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    fit4eva86 wrote: »
    The issue is that the OP asked about healthy foods yet you are talking about a healthy diet. I get your point, but you are really mixing topics.

Yeah these are two topics all mushed into one... But I'll bite.

1)
    Healthy foods: Meats, vegetables, fruits, breads, nuts, dairy.

Junk food: Chips, candy, soda, cookies, donuts, etc.

2)
    Now, are they bad? NO. Will I stop eating them? NO. Do I make it fit into my day? HELL YEAH.

That is all. :drinker:

Bread is not healthy in terms of ingredients :)

How so?
    Yeast, azodicarbonamide, dough conditioner, gluten, bleach and many other things i can not even pronounce!! Different matter if your making it at home but..................

Really depends on the bread you're buying.

EX: Ezekiel Sprouted Bread ingredients: Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

So . . .how are those ingredients bad?

There are a lot of breads out there that don't have the ingredients you listed.

These breads still have all the other added ingredients!! A massive process goes into it!!

And you know this because you work at the bread factory?

And if you make your own bread you're still using yeast and gluten so according to what you say about bread home made is still bad. According to you.

What's wrong with yeast and gluten?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Not sure who is worse or more annoying the hysterical "sugar is the devil" crowd or the "ermagerd processed, chemicalz, toxins" in the food hypochondriacs.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    BayBanana wrote: »

I agree with this and I try to do the same. When I go to the store I pretty much perimeter shop and only go down other aisles if I need certain things -- coffee, tea, olive oil etc.

What I consider "unhealthy" someone else might not and vice versa.

I'm just blown away by the amount of people who actually care.

That's pretty much how I do it too.

And I am surprised by how many people care! I just signed up to mfp, and want to learn more about nutrition and whatnot, it's interesting to me. But then this thread is insane and I'm wondering if I'm in over my head here lol. It's fun to read though, like a car crash

This thread took a pretty negative tone early on. And I'm not one to usually say that. Car crash, indeed. LOL.

There are some hot button topics, clean eating, healthy/unhealthy, cleanses, detox, sugar etc. People are passionate, but it is mostly just a vigorous debate. Jump in, the water is fine! Don't take anything personally.

Oh I'm not taking anything personally. I've been around for quite a while. This is nothing new. I was responded to someone who was new.

Yikes, double quote. Sorry.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The issue is that the OP asked about healthy foods yet you are talking about a healthy diet. I get your point, but you are really mixing topics.

1)

2)
    Now, are they bad? NO. Will I stop eating them? NO. Do I make it fit into my day? HELL YEAH.

How so?
    Yeast, azodicarbonamide, dough conditioner, gluten, bleach and many other things i can not even pronounce!! Different matter if your making it at home but..................

Really depends on the bread you're buying.

EX: Ezekiel Sprouted Bread ingredients: Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Lentils, Organic Sprouted Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

So . . .how are those ingredients bad?

There are a lot of breads out there that don't have the ingredients you listed.

Well, most of them have gluten and yeast, although of course there are exceptions.

I think of the ingredients of basic bread as flour, water, yeast. All else is elective. But some people think flour (and I guess yeast, didn't know that) is unhealthy.

Yeah, my mom has to avoid yeast for her autoimmune disease. Which means that crescent rolls out of a can are healthier for her than many homemade breads.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Don't forget people, baking soda is also toxic!

/sarcasm
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

1)

2)

How so?

why would it matter?

Just when I thought we were slowing down here...

heh- nope- it's lunch break folks- let's get it fired up in here.

Very curious as to purchased bread with the same ingredients as someone who makes bread at home is inherently worse.

I mean- I think carbs are the debil- so I don't eat either anyway- you know- child of the 2000's- carbs made me fat.

(Just kidding for all of you who don't know me)

;)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Don't forget people, baking soda is also toxic!

/sarcasm

I was waiting for that! First bingo sheet down. ;-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I had some healthy coffee that I utterly ruined with honey, and biscotti.
  • fit4eva86
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Not sure who is worse or more annoying the hysterical "sugar is the devil" crowd or the "ermagerd processed, chemicalz, toxins" in the food hypochondriacs.
    Hmmmm Maybe you could discuss it tomorrow with the breakfast lobbyists!! after your fasted cardio!!!
  • PRMinx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Should have had an enema instead....
  • BayBanana
    Options

These breads still have all the other added ingredients!! A massive process goes into it!!

They don't have other ingredients than what is labeled. I know a lot of brands of organic bread that have very short ingredient lists. So I think that as long as you're mindful, and check, you know what you're getting.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Look, the point is that a food is neither healthy nor unhealthy if you consider it in a vacuum (assuming it's not contaminated, etc). You can classify it as nutrient-dense or not, you can sub-classify it in regards to density of specific nutrients and that all makes sense.

If you have no dietary context, calling a food either healthy or unhealthy does not make sense. Obviously you can do it, because people do, but that doesn't make the classification meaningful to anyone but the person who makes it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I think they are equally bad ....
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    By definition of my nutrition book since I took a class at my college, healthy foods have more micro nutrients than the so call junk food "empty calories", foods with no micro nutrients, was what it was called in the book.

OK - so if I hit my macros/micors and calorie goals for the day, but I got 500-600 calories from ice cream and cookies is that then not healthy? Because empty calories??? (whatever those are)

This line alone shows just how little you actually know about what you're talking about.

Please feel free to enlighten us.

The point trying to be made is that you can only absorb so many micronutrients. If you eat a majority of nutrient dense food (or at least sufficient amounts), and fill the rest with pizza, chocolate, ice cream, or whatever, how is that bad.

*And keep in mind that this thread is being argued by people who eat a hell of a lot more than 1200 calories a day. It's hard to fit in treats when you only eat a little every day. When your goal is 2000 calories or even 3500 calories, you can easily work in more calorie dense food and still get proper nutrition.

"Empty calories (whatever that is)" was the line I was going at.

The credibility of the original post was lost when the OP admitted she doesn't know what an empty calorie is.

I don't know either.

Please enlighten me/us.
  • fit4eva86
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I think they are equally bad ....
    And you sir are entitled to your own opinion as are anybody else :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Okay, I will be the one to give you the definition you want to debate. I define healthy food as nutrient dense foods, with limited amounts of salt, sugar and fat. Meaning vegetables, lean meats, fruits and whole grains. I define junk as nutrient sparse food with lots of salt sugar or fat. Meaning chips, cheezies, candy, donuts, onion rings etc.

What did fat ever do to you? It's an important macro nutrient.

Absolutely.

In fact, it's easily in the top three of important macronutrients.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Should have had an enema instead....

Isn't that how you warm your coffee? That's what I do.
  • BayBanana
    Options

But there are ingredients we use in the U.S. that are banned in other countries because they've been proven harmful. Does it really make someone a hypochondriac to say 'I don't want to eat that' or 'that is an unhealthy food' simply because it contains known carcinogens, or other toxic chemicals (or ermagerd chemicalz). I don't think it's bad to have a healthy fear of unnatural things in food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The problem is that health and nutrition cannot be considered or discussed in a vacuum...context and dosage are incredibly important to the discussion. As individual food items are concerned, I do think there are obviously "healthier" choices and lesser choices and I do think that getting overall proper nutrition is very important to one's overall health...but I also think that some Doritos can easily fit into an overall balanced and overwhelmingly "healthful" diet without consequence.

That to me seems to be where people get so hung up...it's like they think if they have a soda that somehow negates the 6-8 servings of vegetables they had earlier or something. Context and dosage, context and dosage....
This discussion has been closed.