Eat your veggies, people!!

Options
MrsCon40
MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
I love reading other peoples' food diaries but I need to vent! :noway:

I see lots and lots of people who are under for the day who get lots of "good jobs" by their friends - and who have eaten 1, 2 or ZERO servings of vegetables!! I see a lot of people say "good day, but you need more water!"

Being under in calories, fat or carbs is ok (so long as it's not too far under) but lets also encourage each other to EAT MORE VEGGIES!

- signed your friendly fellow vegan MFP'er

:drinker:

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    WORD! From a health nut vegetarian, I'd also like to add that when a person is under their calorie goal, but only eating 934 calories, it's not a healthy day of eating. It's a day of not eating enough.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Great reminder - for ALL MFPers, not just the veggie/vegan folks! It's something I've been working on myself, lately. I'm proud to report that I had broccoli, dandelion greens and carrots (a good serving of each) with my lunch today... yumm! I'm making it a goal to try new fruits & veggies. Dandelion greens was new for me this week. :smile:
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has access to a ton of veggies. Living in a dorm with no car im sorry to say I dont have any veggies :p

Others cannot stand the taste of veggies. Eating should not be a chore and to some thats what veggies are!

I love most veggies though :D excited to move back home for the summer tomorrow so I can have them again!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Exactly. :smile:

edited to add: What dorm has no veggies? :huh: BOO! The dining hall at the dorms at my school had full on salad bars with all the trimmings!
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're so right - they're awesome! Just a little secret though, I don't log my veggies. So if you were to look at my diary you might not think that I eat any veggies, I just don't take the time to add in every baby carrot and handful of spinach I eat. They're so low in calories, that I just don't do it. So maybe that's what the other people are doing too? Maybe? Could be? (probably not... ) :)
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    so how do we support those, who, while maybe not nutritionally sound at this point have made great strides in just controlling how much they've eaten (even if it's the same old crap). I often feel guilty for not wanting to send a mixed message or sound like the naysayer on the status, but I don't know what or how to tell them what I'm thinking (which is usually along the lines of what you said and more), like "every meal at a reastaurant? really?" or "Frozen pizza again?" I mean, yes ideally we want them (and us) to be healthy but just eating a fixed number of calories and logging it everyday is a huge step for some people.

Help me grow in compassion and caring if not so much in size :wink:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    This is a great reminder for all of us!!! I'm currently having an anti-veggie phase because I'm 7 months pregnant so I'm trying really hard to work some in when I eat out. They seem more tolerable when someone else steams them.
  • AllieCatNeal
    Options
    Where do you find dandelion greens, besides my unmowed backyard of course LOL
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Where do you find dandelion greens, besides my unmowed backyard of course LOL

We got ours in an order of organic produce (we get one every other week): www.doortodoororganics.com
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has access to a ton of veggies. Living in a dorm with no car im sorry to say I dont have any veggies :p

Others cannot stand the taste of veggies. Eating should not be a chore and to some thats what veggies are!

I love most veggies though :D excited to move back home for the summer tomorrow so I can have them again!!

Most dorm rooms have small refrigerators that can hold some baby carrots or even a can of V8 juice! The cafeteria most always has a salad bar.

Veg can be an acquired taste - we're all here to get **healthier** and acquiring that taste is something we NEED to do to be healthy. A little effort to explore and try new things needs to be made - and not just default to the things we already know we like even though they may be processed and filled with sodium and unpronounceable ingredients.

Some gentle encouragement from the community may be all that's needed for people to just add a little something new on a regular basis.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    When I was living in College at uni, I had no access to any veggies, nor were there kitchens so I couldn't cook my own food. It was terrible, I hated that first year until moving into my own house.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    This thread was sponsored by your Mom...... Eat your veggies.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the veggie reminder. It is greatly appreciated.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat veggies once a day lot of times I for get to log it ...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    PS - Logging veggies can be important - the veggies I had at lunch (without any dressing/oils/etc.) were about 122 calories! And they were non-starchy veggies.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    so how do we support those, who, while maybe not nutritionally sound at this point have made great strides in just controlling how much they've eaten (even if it's the same old crap). I often feel guilty for not wanting to send a mixed message or sound like the naysayer on the status, but I don't know what or how to tell them what I'm thinking (which is usually along the lines of what you said and more), like "every meal at a reastaurant? really?" or "Frozen pizza again?" I mean, yes ideally we want them (and us) to be healthy but just eating a fixed number of calories and logging it everyday is a huge step for some people.

Help me grow in compassion and caring if not so much in size :wink:

Well said.

Personally, I don't really take the time to look at my friends' diaries. I'm more concerned about my own. I have days when I eat tons of veg, and days when I don't. And I don't need to be judged for those days. But, yeah, Low-Sodium V8 is your friend.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    While some people do well with other people pushing them, most of us don't. We grew up in an environment where our eating habits were always a source of judgement from others. "Should you be eating that?" "You don't need to get a second plate, do you?"

With that mentality, having the guts to log everything you eat is a big deal. Having the guts to make your food diary public is a giant step. Don't ruin that momentum by nitpicking over vegetables.

P.S. You can call them vegetables or veggies. You can make them sound fun. You can arrange them on a plate with pretty colors. But they still mostly taste like crap! HAHA!

Eat em if you like em, try to eat em if you don't, but don't make eating a chore.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    dandelion greens....hmmmm...I need to try those.

I really try to get veggies in.....I have been eating romaine lettuce, garlic, onions, celery, collards, sweet potatoes, red peppers broccoli, corn, zuccini and squash.

some things I will admit I want to gag while eating them, but I am trying and I know I barely ate any veggies at all before MFP.

do you have any suggestions on how to love veggies?? (I am serious)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Some people may not track veggies. I don't unless it's a salad.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    This thread was sponsored by your Mom...... Eat your veggies.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: