Gaining muscle question

Options
Ok, so I have been losing regularly for 6 months, down about 50 lbs without exercise. Great, but I want to and am going to add exercise with the expectation of gaining muscle. I will be doing both cardio and lifting weights. Yes, I know cardio will not exactly help me gain a lot of muscle, but I work with a trainer who also has me lift.

My question is how this will affect the scale? I am sorry if this is or seems like a stupid question but I just wonder if gaining muscle will cause the appearance that the scale is not moving and if I should expect this?

I ask because a "trainer" at a gym once told me this when I was not losing weight a long time ago- he said it was because I was gaining muscle but losing fat. I am sure there is some truth to this but would like your opinions/knowledge as well.

Thank you for any and all replies

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You won't gain significant muscle while on a diet. What you will do is preserve the muscle you do have, making more of the weight loss fat. Lifting might also make you retain more water and glycogen which might mask any fat loss (so yeah, the scale might not move for a couple of weeks).
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The scale will tell lies if you're building muscle/losing fat at the same time (which is difficult task anyways) best judge is bi weekly photos After waking before water and food IMO then compare and contrast. Scale should be used, but bi weekly, weekly at most...just don't fully digest what the scale tells you because if you're like me it will eat at you and become demoralizing and we don't need negative thoughts about a positive change:)
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You won't gain significant muscle while on a diet. What you will do is preserve the muscle you do have, making more of the weight loss fat. Lifting might also make you retain more water and glycogen which might mask any fat loss (so yeah, the scale might not move for a couple of weeks).

Thank you! That makes sense
  • blukitten
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    The scale will tell lies if you're building muscle/losing fat at the same time (which is difficult task anyways) best judge is bi weekly photos After waking before water and food IMO then compare and contrast. Scale should be used, but bi weekly, weekly at most...just don't fully digest what the scale tells you because if you're like me it will eat at you and become demoralizing and we don't need negative thoughts about a positive change:)

Thank you! I have heard that as well, to not pay that much attention to the scale and pay more attention to the way clothes fit and how you feel. I will try the photo thing though-- took some before photos but haven't done the bi-weekly
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ya or if you like the more dramatic then go with monthly, if you can wait that long...week to week you'll notice little then a little then a little and then youll take week 20 say back to week 1 pic and that is when you'll really say wow...GL!
  • blukitten
    Options
    chuck636 wrote: »
    Ya or if you like the more dramatic then go with monthly, if you can wait that long...week to week you'll notice little then a little then a little and then youll take week 20 say back to week 1 pic and that is when you'll really say wow...GL!

Like-- really wish there was alike button for these posts :) Thank you! That's a great idea!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. They will tell the right story where the scale doesn’t.
  • arreviking
    arreviking Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Exactly....take measurements, wait, arms, thighs...
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I'd just avoid the scale altogether and go by the mirror, tape measure and/or how your clothes fit
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When you first start lifting weights many do gain some muscle even while losing weight. After that initial phase though, you won't until you up your calories again. Take it as it comes and keep on losing the weight. "Bulking" is pretty tricky if you don't want to just get fat again (yup, done that), so only go there if you are really ready and able to manage it.
  • blukitten
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses! Great information and suggestions!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    If you are new to lifting your weight loss may seem to stall a bit while you put on "newb gains", but not enough for you to worry. Also expect an increase in weight because of water retention and inflammation for the first week or two.
  • blukitten
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    If you are new to lifting your weight loss may seem to stall a bit while you put on "newb gains", but not enough for you to worry. Also expect an increase in weight because of water retention and inflammation for the first week or two.

Thank you! I hadn't considered water retention or inflammation... that makes sense also! Thanks!