Pain below kneecap when running

Options
Hey guys! I started running a while ago and was able to run for almost an hour, with a goal of running a marathon. One of my knees started hurting though so I gave running a rest for about a good year. Recently, I tried running again and the same knee is continuing to bother me. I stretch a little before running, and I stretch at least 15 minutes after my runs. Am I not doing something right? I've seen my doctor for a clicking in my knee (that doesn't bother me), and it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong when I run... Thoughts?

Replies

• chodde
    chodde Posts: 2
    Options
    You might want to go to a real running store and have a knowledgeable person fit you for shoes. There is a lot to your feet and if you don't get the shoes right (or they are old) the pain will travel all the way up thru your back. Once upon a time I heard 300 miles on a pair of shoes is considered warn out, Even if they look brand new. My wife had the same problem.
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Go to a sports doctor who does ART
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It might be your stride. I had the same issue and I went to a physical therapist who was also a runner. He filmed me running and showed me that I would put my leg out in front of me consistently and showed where the stresses would be on my knees. He had me change my stride to come down under my hips instead of in front and push off behind me. Does your knee hurt when you walk/hike ? That could indicate that your body position is different between running and walking.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Have something similar and it was arthritis onset with patella tracking, but there are a variety of things that can be happening, especially with a click in there.
  • Horsejumper1
    Horsejumper1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    could be a patellar tracking problem which can be fixed. I've dealt with this quite a bit, including surgery on both knees. I can hear my orthopedic surgeon in my head - he would tell you to wear a cho-pat knee strap or brace to help with tracking, strength train the muscles in your legs (tracking issues often start with muscle imbalances), and apply Australian Dream cream (can get it at walmart). Also, definitely get professionally fit for running shoes at a good running store. That makes a huge difference too!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Had this issue. Get to the ortho. You'll need PT.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My humble suggestions:
    1 Warn up THEN stretch then run. I know, sounds simple, but made a difference on my shins.
    2 Go to sports store, have your stride examined. Make sure your shoes is the right fit for the way you run.
    3. Invest in a brace.
    3 Strength train more. Particularly your legs. I could give you a 3 hour lecture on the importance of strength training when running and how it minimizes the impact to your muscles.
    4. And lastly (prepare to roll your eyes), yoga. Keeps everything flexible. There are specific DVDs (and where I live classes) for runners if you don’t want to completely turn into a yogi, but give it a shot.

Whatever you do, don’t ignore your body.
    Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    More than likely, patellar tendonitis. Not uncommon in runners or people who attempt running after a long lay off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Directly under or mostly to the outside of the patella and a bit under? If the latter, might look into IT band stretching and foam rolling the IT band and attachments. Although the other suggestions are good also, since IT band issues are usually a symptom of something else, such as a muscle imbalance, a stride problem, or shoe issues.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of detail, from what you've shared it sounds like you may be running too far, too fast, too quickly. After a long layoff, it is often helpful to keep distances short and slow, and only ramping up to longer/faster over time.