New Years' Resolution 2015 - Quit Smoking!

Options
Has anyone else quit smoking recently? I've been smoking for (gasp!) 32 years, pack a day smoker, have tried quitting numerous times in the past and I had my last cigarette on the evening of January 1. I'm using the patch and I really hope to make this quit my last.

Are there others out there that have recently quit?

Replies

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I quit about a year ago. At the most I was a half a pack a day. I still miss it, but don't miss the feeling unhealthy all the time. :) I never did the patch.
  • MsBrandylove
    MsBrandylove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    September 26th was my last Cig. I transitioned over to vapor e-cig, and now barely use the e-cig. I too smoked a pack of Marlborough Menthol lights a day (100's). I'm not sure if it was the 'act' of smoking the E-cig that made the transition easier? I know MANY people freak the second you say E-cig or Vaping..haha, but I figured it couldn't be WORSE than the 200+ chemicals I inhaled with each cig...and my use of the E-cig was instantly less than a pack... (and no side affects like crazy nightmares, and no crabby withdrawal symptoms as there is nicotine in the vape liquid.) You can get different levels of nicotine and wean off it that way too. Not sure if this is even something you'd consider, but it was my way out :D
    Congrats and good luck!
  • Raykels
    Raykels Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what MFP has against vaping...not come up against it yet.

But I found the only way I've stayed quit is with vaping. I play with my nicotine levels and flavours. I enjoy it, and no where near as harmful as cigarettes were...
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above 2 ladies: an ecig has been my way out. I'm still using it, but I truly believe it is not nearly has harmful as an actual cigarette. I'm also using it less and less as time goes on. Good luck!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason I don't see myself vaping - not to undermine your success with it, but I would just feel silly doing it! Plus, for me, I would feel like I traded one cigarette with another (though I will agree that eCigs probably aren't as harmful). I'll just deal with the vivid patch dreams for now, lol!
  • Txfiestagirl
    Txfiestagirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After 40 years of smoking, I quit unintentionally ! I smoked once a day, in the evening right before I showered. I would smoke 3-5 cigarettes in a row. A community acupuncture place opened near me so I decided to try it for appetite suppression. (Community acupuncture is cheaper than individual acupuncture $20 a session instead of $75). Anyway I have not smoked since the first session! Even the craving is gone! I'm shocked and surprised. It has worked some on the appetite suppression. I'm going to continue the acupuncture because it's very calming. PS. I found a Groupon for the acupuncture -- 5 sessions for $49.