Post Workout Snacks

Options
Hi lads and ladies! Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for people like myself, who've just started out at the gym and are wondering what kind of snacks are good after a workout?
At the moment I'm having a protein shake 30 minutes after a workout as recommended on the tub, but my body is begging for something solid.

What kind of healthy foods do you snack on post workout? :)

Replies

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of bars. Just been introduced to Nakd bars. The one I tried was "Cashew Cookie".

Easy to make at home by blitzing cashews until broken up, and then adding dates and blending until you're able to form into shapes. Bit of hassle but WAY cheaper than buying! :smile:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't eat directly after a workout, not hungry. But I love Quest protein bars when I do have a snack. Lemon cream pie, raspberry white chocolate and chocolate brownie are probably my favorites.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind protein is needed only after lifting weights. You also need some carbs to replace glycogen.

Nuts - Loaded with healthy fats and some protein.
    Yogurt - Fat free or greek has a great protein/calorie ratio.
    Eggs - Can't go wrong.
    Dry roasted edamame - Decent protein, good flavor.
    Pretzels - Mini twists, mini sticks, or the flavored rods. Not the best option, but decent.
    Jerky - Lots of great varieties and flavors. Great protein to calorie ratio.
    Peanut butter - goes great with apples, celery, or low cal bread.
    Protein bars - Pure protein chocolate is 21 grams of protein for 180 calories and tastes great.
    Fruit - Nothing like a little natural sugar spike. Vary the fruit for great additional benefits.
    Protein chips - Don't overdo these as they tend to be made with soy protein, which can have some negative effects, but good flavors.
    Pumpkin seeds - Great source of potassium, which is often needed after a heavy workout.