WTH???

Options
I have been working butt off, literally, staying in my calories and getting tons of protein. Not only have I not lost this week, I gained 2 lb! This is so frusterating!

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Water weight?
  • BeesKnees
    BeesKnees Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't give up!! It will pay off. Sometimes our bodies are stubborn. Drink lots of water, and I bet you the scale will reflect your hard work next week!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Would help if you opened your diary so we can get a better idea of what is going on.

Are you drinking enough water?
    Watching your sodium intake?
    Measuring correctly?
    TOM?
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    TOM?
  • ksdamac99
    ksdamac99 Posts: 5
    Options
    Dont be discouraged. Using wieght as a benchmark can often be frustrating, especially for women. Simple changes in hormones can cause weight (water retention mostly) to fluctuate daily. Try using other measurments, ie. your dress sizes, your neck, your hips, your arms as benchmarks, and stop checking them weekly. Bi-weekly is enough.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is my TOM. Dont feel like I have extra water on me, but is possible.
  • EllieMae643
    Options
    I have the same problem as you from time to time! Some workout tips I've gotten from friends that have worked for me (I realize it's different for everyone):

Change up your workout routine every few weeks
    (Your body gets in a rhythm and your muscles know what to expect so it's harder to lose weight...or something to that effect)
    or Take a few days off of rest. If you work out non-stop 5,6 days a week and have no results, try taking a 4 day break and then getting back at it. It will kick up your metabolism again!
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    I gain 3-4 when it's my TOM...I refuse to weigh during that week because the scale plus my raging hormones makes me cry like a baby every time! LOL I stay off until a few days after TOM is gone...it keeps me sane!
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me and look at my diary
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    stay with it I cant get rid of the last 3 pounds for my first goal...if your lifting heavy could be mus.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    First, if you've literally "worked your butt off" then you have bigger problems than weight gain.

Next, for how long have you been working so hard and staying within your calories (and what foods are you getting your calories from)?

Last, I've been there too and it sucks, but remember that there are other reasons to live a healthier lifestyle than just weightloss.

-LP
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people said, water weight. If you don't replenish what you sweat your body will hold onto any water it gets. It happened to me the other day. I gained 2 pounds over the weekend, but i didn't drink much water.On monday I drank my 64 oz of water, worked out, and tuesday morning i weighed in and had lost those 2 pounds I had gained. It's CRUCIAL that you drink at least 64 oz of water a day. especially if you're sweating and working out a lot.
  • mkateweis
    mkateweis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is water. Wait till your TOM is over and I am willing to bet those pounds are gone and you will most likely have a little loss as well. Happens to me every single month. Oh, and even though I know this happens, I freak out every time!!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just gained 2 lbs. I'm doing everything right and was so happy I lost my first 4 pounds. Today though I just started TOM and was relieved. I know it must be water weight then and I'm so thankful. I was freaking out, thinking how on earth can I change anymore in my diet now. Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat so it can always be that too. good luck.
  • MadisonsMom2009
    MadisonsMom2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are starting a newer workout your muscles can hold onto water to help repair!!! Drinking lots of water helps and just be patient!!!

Good Luck :)
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I've gained 4 if it makes you feel any better!
  • kthume03
    kthume03 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes through periods of plateus, but if you are doing a lot more strength training than before, you need to remember that muscle weighs more that fat and initially you may gain a little but it helps you to burn more fat later
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    One weigh in I gained 1.5 pounds, the next day TOM started. The following week I lost about 4 pounds, so I assume it was water weight!