Running my first 5k on Saturday

Options
I'm running my first 5k race on Saturday, and needless to say, I'm kind of nervous. I've been jogging a few times a week for the past few months, but I'm still pretty slow. My mile pace is anywhere from 10 minutes to 15 minutes, so I really have no idea how I'm gonna do. I guess my goal would be to finish within 35 minutes. Any tips/suggestions/advice/motivation/inspiration for a beginner runner? What should I bring, do the night before, etc? Thanks in advance : )

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I have no tips because I just started training today for my 1st 5k. I just wanted to wish you luck though, and I'm sure you will do great!
  • KTGator
    KTGator Posts: 78
    Options
    Good luck with your first 5k!

As far as what to bring, I'd recommend bringing music if you like to run with music on (I find that keeps me from getting distracted by everyone around me). When I ran a few 5ks a couple years ago, I also brought along a light snack to eat about 30-60 minutes prior to the run. I have a tendency to get to places way early, though, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get hungry mid run.

Most of all - have fun! Look forward to hearing how you do!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I usually don't eat much if I have to run a short distance like that, but make sure you eat something a few hours before that you know will digest properly... And hydrate often...

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Lay everything out the night before; socks, shoes, underwear, shirt, shorts...everything. Eat a light breakfast an hour or so before the race, try to avoid dairy if possible, and get yourself good and stretched out before the race...warm yourself up. You may want to consider starting in the back of the pack to avoid the rush of the racers who are there to better everyone else, set your own pace and if you can find someone on the course to pace yourself with, do that. Set a realistic goal, 35 minutes isn't a bad one, and enjoy the event and relish it being your first race! Have fun!
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i'm running my first 5k on saturday as well. it's an 6pm run. i'm interested to know what advice others give you. good luck, i'm sure you will do great! :happy:
  • sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    HOW AMAZING!!!! im running my first 5k on Saturday too!!!!! how exciting- hope urs goes well!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Even though you're going to be nervous, try to get a good night's sleep. Eat the best breakfast you can (you'll be nervous...). Drink an 8 oz. glass of water right when you wake up, and then an hour before your race.

You're not alone on the start line. Look around you. Take a deep breath. Look at all of the people smiling and laughing and waving, and draw support from all those great feelings. You're about to do something really special, and pat yourself on the back for getting there.

I'll quote my VERY favorite athlete/inspirational writer: "Sometimes your best is flying along running 7 minute miles. Sometimes your best is walking. When you string together a series of your bests, you inevitably put together your best performance."

Do your very best. And best of luck! Please tell us how it goes!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Kristen,

Try and get yourself a full night's sleep before the race -- you may be nervous or excited, but nothing will help you more than getting a good rest the night before!

When the race starts, lots of folks will start off at a pace that's *way* too fast for them -- don't fall for it yourself! Stick with the pace that you're used to running, even though you'll be tempted to bolt off with them, and I guarantee, you'll be passing folks at the 1 mile mark, when they realize that they started off too fast!

Get there early enough that you're not stressed out getting yourself all set up. Try to get some warmups done before you get to the line -- a light jog, or maybe a nice short brisk walk!

Go to the bathroom early and often on race day -- nothing puts a damper on race day like needing to find a rest room just before the start of the race!

Don't stress over your time in this one -- if it's your first race, then you're not trying to *beat* a time, just to *set* your expectations for later races! Relax, enjoy it, and soak up all the atmosphere!

Good luck, and be sure to post after the race and let us know how it went!
  • TescherTK
    TescherTK Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your 1st 5K. I ran my first 10K a month ago, and all I can tell you is don't worry about anything. Don't even worry that you will get a good nights sleep because you probably wont. Just know that you've been training and that you're ready for your race and just do what you usually do. Don't worry about your time, just concentrate on finishing. You can always better your time on your next race as you train up for a 10K!
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    Since this is your first 5K, don't try to press too hard. We don't want any injuries! Just have fun and enjoy the atmosphere. Beware of all the free food give-aways! Be sure to have your own snack with you so you are not tempted by the stuff they are giving away which may or may not be healthy, but more importantly it may not have a rightful place in your nutrition diary. After it is over, be sure to record your finish time in a safe place (running log) and do not misplace it. You'll want to use this as a way to o measure your progress on the next 5K you sign up for.. They track your time, but perhaps you will want to carry a stop watch for yourself in case this event is less formal.
  • kblau
    kblau Posts: 38
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! I'm really excited and I can't wait to experience the energy that comes from a race. I'm just worried about starting off too fast because I'm generally pretty slow and I don't wanna burn out at the beginning. I use a HRM watch while I run, so I'll be timing myself as I go. iPod or no iPod? I use it for the music and to track my distance. I'll let you all know how it goes. Again, thanks! I appreciate all your replies. :)
  • sweetie89207
    sweetie89207 Posts: 361
    Options
    how'd it go?...mine went great...i was really proud of my 42 minutes...didnt push too hard just kept it easy and smooth...hope urs was good too