carbs and protein

laurluka
laurluka Posts: 2 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi i recently just started this app since I'm getting married in September and need to lose weight. I noticed i am always short on carbs by about 25g and over protein by average 10g...is this bad?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Since the numbers are ball park estimates I try to get close and keep weighing to see the results tweak when needed.
  • laurluka wrote: »
    Hi i recently just started this app since I'm getting married in September and need to lose weight. I noticed i am always short on carbs by about 25g and over protein by

Start adding the food into MFP before you eat. That will help you getting the correct macros.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    laurluka wrote: »
    Hi i recently just started this app since I'm getting married in September and need to lose weight. I noticed i am always short on carbs by about 25g and over protein by average 10g...is this bad?

The answer is really that it depends.

Calories are what matter for weight loss. If you get those in the right range you'll have a good start.

Macros (fat, protein, carbs) help with things like hunger, body composition, and gym performance. But, they can be set to a lot of different percentages based on your personal choices.

fwiw, a lot of us think that MFP tends to set their default numbers for fat and protein a little low. Some of us prefer to think of them a minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It's o.k. to be short on carbs and over on protein. Watch the calorie number because that is most important and make sure you are getting enough (or a little more than enough) of protein).
  • laurluka
    laurluka Posts: 2 Member
    My calories are only 16 short around there...thank you for the replies
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    if your goal is strictly fat/weight loss then don't worry about it...