Looking for good indoor exercises!!!!

Options
Anyone have any good indoor exercises that require no equipment. Or a website to change checkout for follow along exercises or dvds that are good. I have over 200 pounds to lose so I need beginner activites until I get stronger and more active.. Any help greatly appreciated not sure where to start dont have good walking shoes will get but until then I need indoor activities and it is extremely cold right now outdoors :) thanks in advance

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Search youtube for beginner's workout routine. Start slow and build up. Good luck.
  • bonnieh1638
    bonnieh1638 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My name is Bonnie and I live in Wisconsin so I totally understand wanting to do indoor exercises during the winter months. I like walking and don't own a treadmill so I am starting to do the utube walking videos of Jessica smith and Leslie Samsone. Give it a try and good luck!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    i like fitstar. they have workouts that change with your fitness level. there is a free app, or you can upgrade to pay a membership fee.
  • jables85
    jables85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bought two 3 pound dumbells, two 6 pound dumbells, and the Women's Health Magazine Big Book of Exercises (http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420594468&sr=8-1&keywords=womens+health+magazine+book) and even though in the beginning I could hardly do a recommended workout...I just started doing whatever I could out of the book using my little weights in front of the TV every night, completely haphazard at first. It took 5 months during the cold winter months, but I got more and more comfortable with the movements and just kept trying new exercises while I watched my favorite shows. When I was bored with a certain exercise, I'd just flip the page and look for another! I lost 30 pounds at home before joining the gym. You can do it!! :-)
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    http://neilarey.com/programs.html

I would start with 30 Days of Gravity or 30 Days of Strength. Some of the exercises can be a bit challenging, but they only take about 10 minutes per day, and are pretty good about working you up. Take it slow and easy, and don't be afraid to drop some sets until you are healthy enough to get through the whole thing.
  • _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I'm stuck inside I like to use Fitnessblender.com videos and/or the Sworkit app.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some good Walk Away the Pounds videos. The ultimate collection is my favorite. You can do them if you can walk in place and you will get out of them as much as you put in them (just like everything else). Best of Luck - you can make it happen
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    blogilates.com-she has some cardio and a lot of strength training as well.
    However, if you have never done Pilates before, you should talk to a doctor-it involves being on your back a lot. If you have a yoga mat (or you can get one for cheap), Cassey Ho does a lot of really fun exercises that keep you moving and don't get boring.
    Best of luck!
  • Christineclendaniel
    Christineclendaniel Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I dance...A LOT. I dance when I clean, I learn dance routines, I dance in the shower. That is my indoor excercise :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    There are walking DVDs by Leslie Sansone that are wonderful for beginners. I bought mine at Target for a few bucks.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Squats, lunges, sit-ups, push-ups, tricep dips, burpees, jumping squats, calf raises, side taps, plank, wall sit (squat hold), lag raises, donkey kicks, star jumps/jumping jacks, high knees, diamond push-ups, mountain climbers, walking lunges, wide leg lunges, run/jog stairs, v sit-ups, crunches...

These are all exercises that require no equipment, however, make sure you stick to what your body can do and believe in yourself, sometimes it's supposed to hurt :)
  • sunshine74136
    sunshine74136 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advise..lots.of stuff here to look into and keep from getting bored.. :) I appreciate all the feedback
  • kate_baxter
    kate_baxter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every day pantry items can also be used as equipment. You only need to be creative.

Food cans, can be used in place of dumb bells. Fill a soft drink/soda bottle with water. Sacks of flour or rice etc.
    Resistance bands are another option.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    judykat7 wrote: »
    Leslie Sansone has some good Walk Away the Pounds videos. The ultimate collection is my favorite. You can do them if you can walk in place and you will get out of them as much as you put in them (just like everything else). Best of Luck - you can make it happen

I was also going to recommend these DVDs! I have a couple of them and they are great!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just starting out, do something fun. Dance cardio etc on youtube if you like that sort of thing.

More importantly, don't get upset if you can't keep up. Most people can't. It's doesn't matter how long you can keep up now, it's how much longer you can keep up next time. If you can only do 5 minutes the first time, shoot for 5:30 next time. Fitness is about progression, not your starting point. It's about improving...
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    youtube jessica smith and leslie sansone (search 1 mile walk, 2 mile walk, interval walk for the Leslies) Jessica posts her own. also some good assorted yoga - want to try yoga with Adriene - someone on an exercise checkin mentions her a lot and she just started a 30 days of yoga and she says they've been do-able for her so far
  • Angelistic
    Options
    YOUTUBE ZUMBA - and just follow along. That's what I do and I save $50 per month on gym membership. A 30 min zumba session (if you dance to various zumba routines) = 250 calories burned.
  • sunshine74136
    sunshine74136 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the great ideas :) I will be researching and getting a plan in place to start soon
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    This is perfect. I rarely copy an entire quote; in this case everything Djinn said is true and encouraging.
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    Honestly, just starting out, do something fun. Dance cardio etc on youtube if you like that sort of thing.

More importantly, don't get upset if you can't keep up. Most people can't. It's doesn't matter how long you can keep up now, it's how much longer you can keep up next time. If you can only do 5 minutes the first time, shoot for 5:30 next time. Fitness is about progression, not your starting point. It's about improving...

As an example: I started taking a cardio class and was fearful when everyone was faster (and younger). Then I noticed some people just had to stop and take an extra breather - like me. Oh. Got it. Everyone was working at their own level. And *everything* is harder the first few times.