Mio and other water sweeteners - good?

Options
Mio makes them, so does Dasani, so does Kool-Aid I found out.

They all say 0 calories and it helps me to drink water, as I am not a fan of just plain ol' water.

Question: Does it still count as water intake if I use these?

Anyone have any thoughts? Do you use them? Are they bad for us?

Replies

• dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Crystal Light with Caffeine (grape flavor); one packet in a quart of water a day. All told it's 10 calories and you better believe that I count it as water because that's what it is :)
  • Formyownsake
    Formyownsake Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've tried the Crystal Light ones too. But some people have told me those things are bad, just like aspratame. How many others use these with their water?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Bad how? Bad tasting? I think so haha. I personally perfer the taste of water by itself.

But since you don't like it, find a flavour you like and go for it!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I really like the Crystal Light liquid ice tea drops. It's a nice treat for when I'm craving a cold drink that isn't diet soda or water (and when I'm too lazy to fire up the Keurig, brew a cup of tea, and put it in the fridge).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I use Mio, Crystal Light, Tea, Stevia, a shot of lemon or lime, and lately I am a huge fan of Biosteel (10 cals per serving).

There's loads of misinformation about Aspartame on the 'net. Choose to believe it or not. I am a fan of double-blind peer reviewed scholarly studies, and these have judged Aspartame to be safe.

Mio uses Sucralose as the artificial sweetener.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/51/6/963.short

You can count all your water, soda, tea, and other beverages towards your daily water count.
  • Formyownsake
    Options
    I heard that counting soda (or "pop" as we call it where we're from) as water intake is not good because the sodium alone in pop (diet or not) is enough to negate the fact that you are drinking any other water. In fact, I've heard drinking soda essentially decreases your water intake in general.

Anyone else log soda (or pop) as their water intake?
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I make 3 quarts of iced tea every other day. I used Dasani, Mio, Crystal Light and the Kool Aid liquids to lightly flavor my tea. I only have a few flavors I like. You have to experiment with the flavors and find the one you like best.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Yes, soda/pop is less good than water because of the sodium and potassium but I don't think it dehydrates you.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/healthy-beverages

You can't count alcohol though. It does dehydrate.
  • Formyownsake
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i use mio/Kool aid b/c i hate the taste of water. it hasn't impacted my weight loss, and gets me to drink all my 12 cups per day.
  • Formyownsake
    Options
    Well I'm glad to hear that these water sweeteners aren't a bad habit to get into. I will keep getting them then!!!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I think the liquid water enhancers taste kind of funky...I stick with the powdered ones.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    does anyone know of any water enhancers that have actual sugar in it instead of the fake stuff? I've been searching but can't find any.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    does anyone know of any water enhancers that have actual sugar in it instead of the fake stuff? I've been searching but can't find any.

I don't know about sugar, but I have seen them with Stevia. I don't use that either though.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Kool-aid! Soda syrups! Tang!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I don't know about sugar, but I have seen them with Stevia. I don't use that either though.

ya not quite sure how I feel about stevia. gotta do some research.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It would have to be a larger package if they used real sugar. Do you remember back in the day you could buy kool aid packets with sugar included or without, and the size difference in the packages?