No cals burned during strength training ?

Options
I do a lot of weight training and it sucks when I see that negative of cals burned. Pretty much just use for nutrition goals then. Anyone else do the same ?

Replies

• chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Negative calories burned? How so?
  • dcepeda22691
    dcepeda22691 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Haha. Wow I'm dumb what I meant to say was my total net cals was negative. Saying that I over ate. Due to the fact that strength training doesn't take away from the cals you consume but cardio does.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Strength training certainly burns calories. But no, it won't be on the same level as cardio.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Tracking calories burned from strength training is almost impossible for the fact that your body burns calories well beyond the workout. I up calories on days I train.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for strength training in the cardio section.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Which is inherently inaccurate since lifting is not cardio ... and EPOC is greatly overstated in most cases.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Which is inherently inaccurate since lifting is not cardio ... and EPOC is greatly overstated in most cases.

agreed...
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I think your overthinking this whole goal of yours whatever it is. Lifting on a a regular basis will build lean mass which will in turn make your body more efficient at using the calories you consume. The more muscle the higher your metabolic rate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it bothers you log it under the cardio section as strength training or circuit training (as appropriate for your style of training).
    The calories are impossible to measure so you are effectively guessing. I overwrite the suggested amount with my own guess depending on style of workout and volume lifted.