Bad arthritis and doctor told me to basically stop my exerci

Options
I went to the orthopedic surgeon this week to talk about the arthritis in my knees and the fact that they keep me up at night and I needed more sleep. I was excited to share with him that I regularly do between 15,000 and 20,000 steps a day and ride 15-20 miles on the recumbent bike each week. That I had lost 45 pounds over the last 6-months. I thought I was doing so good and leading a healhier lifestyle. That all changed fast . . . he told me that I have the knees of a 75 year old (I am 52). He told me I shouldn't be doing as much as I am. He told me that I can't do enough exercise to lose weight. I left his office so discouraged and depressed. I know there must be some exercises I can do . . . from everything I read some exercise is healthy for arthritis. I know I should seek another opinion but right now I am just so discouraged. Does anyone else have bad arthritis and get encouragement from their doctor to be active?

Replies

• KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Swimming :)
  • dakcal
    dakcal Posts: 1
    Options
    What about swimming or water based exercise? I have severe rhuematoid arthritis and my doctor has always told me to do what I am comfortable with but not to exercise if I have a flare up.
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    swimming is great for people with bad knees the local ymca is usually pretty cheep to
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    yes yes swimming! my mother in law is getting knee surgery in a couple months ( also has an arthritic knee) and she has lost over 20 lbs since January swimming 3X a week. She swears by it!
  • theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered looking into something like t-tapp? Its completely different from anything I'd ever done before but I lost a lot of weight and even more inches when I did it exclusively a couple of years ago. Its virtually no impact on your joints and people of all ages are able to do it. It's also incredibly rehabilitative and may serve to help with some of your pain. You can find out more and try some of their exercises for free on their website at http://www.t-tapp.com .

Oh and they also have a specialized MORE workout for anyone who has more rehabilitative concerns which includes a seated workout if you want to keep off of your knees.

Just an idea :)
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    From everything I've read, being active and having arthritis can be done, but possibly doing exercises that are low impact and counting calories can keep the weight comin off without harming your knees further. Hope this help!
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    yes yes water aerobics is great for your joints!! :happy:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great, and so are cardio machines that are low or no impact like an elliptical, arc trainer or exercise bike. The pressure and impact on your joints is what makes exercise painful and damaging, not the motion itself. Also, if you aren't already, you should be taking supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM, and you should look into homeopathic remedies that can relieve the pain and symptoms of arthritis. Hyland's makes a specific remedy for arthritis.
  • texastae1010
    texastae1010 Posts: 165
    Options
    Ok get a second opinion I am 32 and I have arthritis in knee and one doctor told me the same thing and told me I had the knee of like a 80 year old and another told me to strengthen certain muscles and keep moving it to help it out and ease some of the pain the noise will always be there I sound like a rattle but moving helps me. Find a second opinion someone my second opinion was by a sports medical orthopedic doctor
  • slackeyj
    slackeyj Posts: 68
    Options
    I went to the orthopedic surgeon this week to talk about the arthritis in my knees and the fact that they keep me up at night and I needed more sleep. I was excited to share with him that I regularly do between 15,000 and 20,000 steps a day and ride 15-20 miles on the recumbent bike each week. That I had lost 45 pounds over the last 6-months. I thought I was doing so good and leading a healhier lifestyle. That all changed fast . . . he told me that I have the knees of a 75 year old (I am 52). He told me I shouldn't be doing as much as I am. He told me that I can't do enough exercise to lose weight. I left his office so discouraged and depressed. I know there must be some exercises I can do . . . from everything I read some exercise is healthy for arthritis. I know I should seek another opinion but right now I am just so discouraged. Does anyone else have bad arthritis and get encouragement from their doctor to be active?

You should get another opinion. Swimming is a good option but you really should get another opinion. My Grandmother is really heavy and back when she was more mobile her doctors all told her to walk, that any activity in addition to her diet would help and if she could get the weight off it would help allieviate the stress on her joints. I don't know your exact situation but to tell you that you can't work out enough to lose weight just seems silly. It is possible to lose without exercise, its just a lot harder and you can lose weight by just walking. Swimming really helps.
  • hessond
    hessond Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Swimming like everyone else has mentioned or water aerobics. Also have you thought about getting a second opinion? Check out www.arthritis.org.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    First I would like to congratulate you on your weight loss.....that is amazing. Secondly I would like to say, what in the world is wrong with Drs. who don't encourage and congratulate where it is warranted.

I have bad knees.....some arthritis but some just some damage. I went to a physio therapist and it was much more helpful than going to the Dr. She gave me exercises and recommended the recumbant bike. I need to get back to riding my bike.....it doesn't seem to be working very well at the moment. My understanding is that steps and step aerobics are not a good thing to do with bad knees.......that they only exacerbate the problem. When my knees got really bad a few years ago I had been consistently and faithfully doing step areobics (I loved the exercise,,,,,,so fun)! I was told I needed to stop that. Having bad knees can make it so hard to do so many different activities.
  • cathy314
    cathy314 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't have arthritis but think you Dr is a Jerk! I am also 52 and it is harder to loose weight at our age whatever your health challenges, but to stop is NOT an option! Try the alternatives given by others.. Don't stop! Find something to take the stress off your knees. As you get stronger, and loose weight I think you will feel better.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I do, but you have to do LOWER Impact...YES, even lower than walking. The Bike is good and maybe other exercises. Stretching is good, Palates, even light weights. If your knees are that bad, that means bone on bone and severe inflammation; to become less painful and become more comfortable you need to be easier on them BUT you MUST Stay Mobile and keep a good range of motion. Do those other lower impact things and Regular walking and see how it goes. You will STILL lose weight if you follow a good meal plan.
  • ema21043
    ema21043 Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions . . . I already swim a couple times a week at the YMCA and some weeks take there water aerobic classes, but he even told me if I did continue to do that not to do it more than 1-2 times a week and never two days in a row. He was really just a downer. I am definitely going to get a second opinion and to continue to do what feels right to me . . . I know my body much better than this man that talked to me for a total of 15 mintues. Thanks for letting me vent !!!!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would tell you to do pool exercises if that's a possibility. Water aerobics, water walking, swimming. Any of it would be good.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am 29 and have arthritis in my left ankle due to having a break and having to get surgery and screws inserted 10 years ago. I also have bad knees that crackle when I do lunges and squats. My doctor told me that if I can lose weight it would cut the pain by quite a bit and that I should stick to low impact stuff. I used to do water aerobics and I loved it. Now I do the elliptical because it is easier on me and doesn't hurt as much. If you feel good and think you can do the recumbent bike I say go for it. You know your own body and what it can handle. I'd also keep up with the swimming because that is a great pain reliever for sore joints and muscles.
  • yeahwhutevr
    yeahwhutevr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe see a sports medicine Dr, they may be able to help you with exercise that will benefit but not hurt. A physical therapist may have some good ideas for strengthening the knees, mine did.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    The thing is you can lose weight without doing exercise. Weight loss is all about the calorie deficit. Exercise is great for good health, and for giving you more calories, but it is not necessary to lose weight.
  • lessbounce
    lessbounce Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love swimming what can I say ;-} The Eliptical training might be worth a try, I would also echo the others and say get a second opinion. A good pyshio may also be able to help with strapping to support your knees while you excerise.