Your favorite food scale?

Options
AshZie
AshZie Posts: 49 Member
I've never had trouble losing weight by estimating my calories but I've read a lot of positive comments on these forums about the importance of using a food scale. I would like to buy one but have no idea what to look for. I searched briefly online and found the price point varies greatly. I would like to start with something simple that will not break the bank (maybe less than $40 if that doesn't sound unreasonable). If you have a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it! I am really curious to see how "off" my estimations have been :) Thank you in advance!

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i love my food scale! i bought it at TJMaxx. (not sure if you have those where you live, but it's mostly clothing + some housewares in the back of the store) i *think* i remember paying $12?? i know it wasn't much b/c i'm cheap! LOL
    unfortunately, it has no label on it, so i don't know the brand.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have this one and like it very much.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapie from Amazon but I wish I didn't because Costco has a cute glass topped one on sale for like $15, in the warehouse. But mine works fine. I don't see the cute one on costco.com but they have one for $20, free shipping. I'm not sure if there's a surcharge for non-members, though.
    http://www.costco.com/Taylor®-Slim-Design-Kitchen-Scale.product.100084377.html

As long as it has a tare feature, anything should be fine. Pay attention to where the display is and if your typical plate/bowl will hide it, maybe.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/11-lb-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-Biggest-Loser-3842BL9/dp/B00FN3MDB8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1420573293&sr=8-13&keywords=biggest+loser+food+scale

I have this one. I got it at Wal-Mart for $18. I can't really compare it to others as this is the first one I've ever owned. I like it. The tare feature makes it really handy. It has an 11lb limit and measures in grams and ounces. That may seem like a lot, but I weigh entire recipes to get the grams per serving.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    mine has a tare which is really important, and does grams or ounces
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CELBR6E/ref=pe_808750_129697990_em_1p_0_ti

Currently using this and it works fine and cycles through gr, oz, lb and something else. I prefer it to the Ozeri scale I used before because it's less of a pain to keep clean. I don't need a new scale anytime soon, but I'd drop this one right away if I could find one that didn't shut off after a minute without use.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I got a Martha Stewart one for Christmas. It does what I need it to do; has a tare feature, does gms and oz. It also has a timer and, oddly, a thermometer. I don't use the timer, but I use the thermometer to show my husband that I'm not imagining things when I tell him it's cold in the kitchen.
  • AshZie
    Options
    i love my food scale! i bought it at TJMaxx. (not sure if you have those where you live, but it's mostly clothing + some housewares in the back of the store) i *think* i remember paying $12?? i know it wasn't much b/c i'm cheap! LOL

I'm assuming by your name you are in Las Vegas. That's where I live :) I didn't even think to check TJ Maxx, I love that store! Thanks everybody. It looks like I will be able to spend much less than $40 and get a decent scale! I appreciate you guys including the links as well!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a cheepy that i think is actually a biggest loser one i got from Bed Bath and Beyond. $20 i think. It does OZ and Grams and has a glass top that is removable. Perfect for what i need it to do. Also it is small enough that i can take it with me when i travel!
  • AshZie
    Options
    I got a Martha Stewart one for Christmas. It does what I need it to do; has a tare feature, does gms and oz. It also has a timer and, oddly, a thermometer. I don't use the timer, but I use the thermometer to show my husband that I'm not imagining things when I tell him it's cold in the kitchen.

Haha! Sounds like I need a thermometer feature for the same purpose you use it for! :wink:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    AshZie wrote: »

I'm assuming by your name you are in Las Vegas. That's where I live :) I didn't even think to check TJ Maxx, I love that store! Thanks everybody. It looks like I will be able to spend much less than $40 and get a decent scale! I appreciate you guys including the links as well!

actually i live in houston, but i'm in vegas so much, it's like my 2nd home! LOL
    try Ross, too, and even Marshall's - they sometimes have housewares, too.

• sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapie from Amazon but I wish I didn't because Costco has a cute glass topped one on sale for like $15, in the warehouse. But mine works fine. I don't see the cute one on costco.com but they have one for $20, free shipping. I'm not sure if there's a surcharge for non-members, though.
    http://www.costco.com/Taylor®-Slim-Design-Kitchen-Scale.product.100084377.html

As long as it has a tare feature, anything should be fine. Pay attention to where the display is and if your typical plate/bowl will hide it, maybe.

If you are talking about the scal in the Costco coupon flyer...that's a bathroom scale.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    No, it's a kitchen scale in the warehouse, for $15. :)
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    how do you use a food scale for weight loss?
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one from Target about 3 years ago, it's still kicking so I haven't bothered trying to find a 'good' one to replace it. Look for one with a tare and unit conversions. If it's battery powered remember to turn it off afterward and the battery will last for ages.
  • AshZie
    Options
    I'm glad so many of you mentioned the importance of the tare function. I honestly didn't know what that meant before my post!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    daisyverma wrote: »
    how do you use a food scale for weight loss?

Look over this thread, it's explained pretty well. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10044801/why-do-i-need-a-food-scale/p1
  • AshZie
    Options
    Thank you very much!