"Bikini" Class BodyBuilding

Options
2»

Replies

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I work out at a gym where several fitness competitors (physique and bikini) prep, and it took each of them over a year to prepare for the first competition. As someone who has been lifting 2 years, and while I've seen serious changes to my physique, I saw very little change in 5 months. Besides, the diet would be too strict to get you there in 5 months.

I encourage you to get into weightlifting, enjoy it for what it is for the first 6 months, learn proper technique and form, and THEN decide if you want to compete.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the sport. Love going to the shows and the expos. It may be rare but I've watched girls at my gym compete with less than six months training and do very well. One just did her first show and came in 4th, I believe. Of course their training, meal plan and coaching was on point. Everyone is different of course. I'm also in the club of I want to look like it but my shyness would never let me get up there. Kudos to you!
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Firstly congratulations for making a decision to get bikini show fit. Secondly, don't put pressure on yourself to commit to a show this early into your weightlifting journey. You can add me as this is my goal too. I've been hammering it for 8 months and I feel I will be ready to get on stage next June. Good luck
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also, Mama Laughlin, a blogger I follow, just competed in her first show and she's very...straight forward with how the process was for her. If nothing else, she's hilarious to read. http://www.mamalaughlin.com/

I love Mama Laughlin! :)

• NikiMG1681
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Actually no, it's a site for counting calories.

If that's all you come here for, then why are you trolling?

Regardless of YOUR position on it. She asked for support, not for negativity. Let her figure it out for herself if it's not realistic. I am currently being trained by a fitness competitor AND have friends who are competitors. I do know what it entails. 100% commitment besides strict diet and exercise guidelines. I do know it also entails eliminating those who say it can not be done, those who are negative, and those who use their words to tear others down.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Regardless of YOUR position on it. She asked for support, not for negativity. Let her figure it out for herself if it's not realistic. I am currently being trained by a fitness competitor AND have friends who are competitors. I do know what it entails. 100% commitment besides strict diet and exercise guidelines. I do know it also entails eliminating those who say it can not be done, those who are negative, and those who use their words to tear others down.

Learn the definition of trolling.

I'm not being negative so you might want to look up the definition of that as well.

Six months to be stage ready from ZERO is not going to happen. Not without essentially starving yourself and running yourself ragged. I watched a friend do it for her first show and she HAD a base of lifting already. The OP doesn't. So she isn't going to be as prepared as she should be for this show and very well might be laughed off the stage. That's not negative. That's realistic and honest. Apparently too honest for you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Why would members support a person when they have the task most likely will take some unhealthy habits to accomplish. This site is for support yes, but safety takes priority.

• NikiMG1681
    edited December 2014
    Options
    All I'm sayin is....
    There's nice ways to say stuff and there's shi**ty ways to say stuff.
    PP's have said what you are trying to convey, nicely.

The board thread is "Motivation and Support." Not, "Opinions and Advice."

But - just like my ex husband, I can't control what he says, only how I react to it! I've already "engaged" too much, much more than I normally would. So I'm stopping now.

Have a nice day everyone!

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    All I'm sayin is....

But - just like my ex husband, I can't control what he says, only how I react to it! I've already "engaged" too much, much more than I normally would. So I'm stopping now.

Lolz.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    OP- I suggest maybe going to the competition in April and observe, not compete. Get a feel for how the competitions flow and if you get a chance talk to some of the other women there about their prep and work out routines. It may help you in the long run and sign up for a competition in the fall as some others have suggested :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've read tons of stories where ladies go from 0 to competing and placing decently well in short amounts of time. I do think it depends on genetics. A lot of times the women were athletes as kids and are able to jump right in. It's probably not much different than women who are overweight that wind up compieting. Look at the success stories on Bodybuilding.com. There are lots of examples. So now to play devil's advocate... I think your goal is OK and as long as you are going about it in a sound and healthy way, you should go for it. BUT... mentally prepare yourself for what you might feel if you go to compete and see a bunch of ladies who are more advanced than you. Maybe you can set an intermediate goal for yourself for, say, March 1. Get evaluated by a professional at that point and determine if it's still feasible for April. Years ago, a girl from my gym started prepping for a show and she went from "okay" to a banging body in a really short time. I think this is because she started at a healthy weight. She went hard with weights, supplementation, diet and I thought she looked great. She entered a very small competition and won (There were only two people) but she still looked great.

The one certain thing is that if you are working out and dieting in a healthy way, you will look fantastic by April 2015. Maybe not good enough to win or place high (maybe you will) but I'm sure you will be turning heads!

Note that I definitely think you should have a trainer who specializes in bodybuilding (bikini, specifically). If you are doing this on your own then I would have to join the naysayers... I've been into fitness for more than 2 decades (and had periods of looking really great) but there's no way a person knows enough (or is objective enough) to do this on her own. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they trained themselves. And training isn't cheap. Neither is entering contests.

Good luck!!!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    OP, you look great, btw. Congrats on your body transformation!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    All I'm sayin is....

Did you miss this part of the OP: "I think six months is a realistic time frame, but if I'm not ready, you can feel free to say I told you so! "

Nobody is being rude to the OP, and I don't see her taking offense to anything that has been said so far. If anything we are being supportive of her goals by advising her to train for awhile and step on stage looking the best she can.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    OP- I suggest maybe going to the competition in April and observe, not compete. Get a feel for how the competitions flow and if you get a chance talk to some of the other women there about their prep and work out routines. It may help you in the long run and sign up for a competition in the fall as some others have suggested :)

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    OP, ignore the rude comments some users are making. I wish you the best of luck on your journey! Having a goal is what always motivates me best and you have an excellent goal!
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    To all my new friends- howdy! Otherwise-

http://youtu.be/Q-Q3gd6S1as
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Options
    Update: It was a small competition (4 in bikini) but I got first place!!! Thanks for all the support! Whoo!
  • badholland
    badholland Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow - amazing work in six moths, you smashed it! Seriously inspiring for me xx
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And here is a little write up about how I prepared without a coach, if it helps anyone! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/down_w_the_man/view/a-smart-girl-s-guide-to-bluffing-your-way-through-a-bikini-competition-740819