In My 20's with 100+ LBS to Lose

Options
I'm 23 and I currently weight 345 lbs and I just get so frustrated. I bounce back and forth with motivation. I'm currently on Day 2 of my newest weight loss journey and I'm feeling optimistic but I know that once I don't see any results I will fall off the wagon.

I don't go to a gym (can't afford to) so I really can only do things at home. Do you guys have any tips or anything? I really want to stick to it this time and get some where.

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I currently weight 345 lbs and I just get so frustrated. I bounce back and forth with motivation. I'm currently on Day 2 of my newest weight loss journey and I'm feeling optimistic but I know that once I don't see any results I will fall off the wagon.

I don't go to a gym (can't afford to) so I really can only do things at home. Do you guys have any tips or anything? I really want to stick to it this time and get some where.

Measure your food on a scale, track everything that passes your lips.
    You don't say how tall you are but, try starting with 1800-2000 kcals/day for a few weeks and see how much you lose to get a baseline.
    Go for a brisk walk for 30 minutes each day. You can probably lose at least 2lbs a week for starters.
  • Vixster76uk
    Vixster76uk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Start small, don't starve yourself, I have also started again, I do home exercise and walk the dogs, the home exercise happens when I feel like it...... But the dogs keep me more active then I could be......would you like a buddie to help keep you motivated? my problem is food the majority of the time I cannot be bothered and get takeaways or mcd's...
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    At 280 lb, when I do the calorie math with the aim of losing 2 pounds a week -- and get some form of exercise in 5-6 times a week, I end up losing 3-4 pounds a week for the first month or so. That first month of serious diet & exercise is exciting, so I'd encourage you to dive in.

Regarding exercise:
    If you truly can't afford a gym membership, go for walks outside.
    But if someone told me this, I'd ask them, "Can you afford food?" If you can afford food, you can certainly afford to set $10-20 aside a month for a gym membership (especially if you're cutting back on calories).
    If you have to, find a less expensive place to buy groceries. Aldi is great. Wal-Mart is OK too.
  • MyWeigh94
    MyWeigh94 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I send yoy a friend request and a messgae. Maybe we can become friends along this journey
  • jackie26us
    jackie26us Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a 122 pounds to lose and have just recommitted. New year and it'll be a new me! I lost 150 pounds 13 years ago so I know it can me done--just didn't know how to maintain then lost the motivation to care. Make small changes. Regarding exercise you don't really need a gym. Walking is the easiest to do. Also can do squats, lunges etc. I do Zumba--did it 6 days this week so far. You'll get there. You can add me as a friend if you want. It's always good to have extra support.
  • joyblakely1
    Options
    Just one step at a time literally.....Go for a short walk and extend it everyday by only one block or 20 steps in your neighborhood. Download a pedometer on your phone and beat the amount of steps everyday. It becomes easier every day. I did this and when I was able to start jogging (after a long time) I started the couch to 5 k running program. Jump in with bith feet and keep going you can do this. And you are worth it.
  • kays2008xx18
    kays2008xx18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me in need of some new friends I'm new here can do with support n supporting others xxx
  • jessieandcharlotte78
    Options
    First, you're 28 which means it will be easier for you to lose the weight. I was 345 last year, dude. You have to want to lose weight so bad that NOTHING will stop you from going to do your daily exercise. Not weather, not lack of time (you will find it), not even lack of motivation. That would probably mean walking, planks, and pushups, modified if needed to begin. Most people our size aren't strong enough to push themselves up. Start with that, count EVERY THING YOU EAT NO MATTER HOW SMALL! You can do it, others have.
    How tall are you? Do you have any previous athletic experience, like football, wrestling, etc.?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I also started when I was 23 with a goal to lose 100lbs. My first piece of advice - start with your eating. If you can not get your eating under control, you will struggle big time. Focus on just making sure you are eating your goal calories. Dont worry about macros, micros, unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Make a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. Document it, and pin it up somewhere - you will need this list when times get tough. THrough the first year, there were many times I wanted to give up. The list always bring me back to why I am bothering to do this.

Take before pictures. Take a good long hard look at the pics. Continue to take a progress pic every month. This is so helpful - because honestly, sometimes I look in the mirror and feel like I have lost nothing. It is sometimes hard to see the changes until you put to pictures next to each other and then the difference is clear (and your motivation returns). Do this as well with MEASUREMENTS.

So there you have it - Remember this is FOR LIFE. Not for a year, a year and a week, or until next xmas - this is for the remainder of your days. If you do something you can not maintain for the rest of your life - then do not do it.

I am 85lbs down, 15 away from my goal. Turning 26 in March.
  • TigerAlum09
    TigerAlum09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh how my heart goes out to you, friend. I've struggled with my weight all my life, but especially through my 20's. I finally peaked at 23 at 338. I managed to lose down to 270, then back up to 315, then down, then up, blah blah. Now I'm 28 and at 285 and hoping to lose a lot more. Let me know if you need a buddy!

As far as tips, I think what's different for me now is my head space. I've struggled a lot with depression and other mental health issues, but I'm making my health a priority now. Why? Because I want to have kids some day and I NEVER want to go through what I've gone through my whole life. That's what's getting me to the gym when I'm too tired. That's worth more to me than binging on a cheeseburger. I think finding a big driving motivation is key to finally making it a lifestyle change instead of just something to obsess over for a week and a half before feeling like a failure and giving up.

That's another thing. If you make mistakes, you HAVE to forgive yourself and move on. Don't let it ruin how you eat the rest of that day or week or whatever. As far as no gym access, when I can't get to the gym, I do pilates workouts from Cassey Ho (Google Blogilates and check her out, she's awesome). I have to modify all of the moves because they're way to hard at our kind of weight, but just doing modified moves is a killer workout!

It will take time, but you can do it!
  • TigerAlum09
    TigerAlum09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's what's getting me to the gym when I'm too tired. That's worth more to me than binging on a cheeseburger. I think finding a big driving motivation is key to finally making it a lifestyle change...

I should clarify, one cheeseburger itself is not a binge. We have to be realistic! Cut down on what you eat now, start slow, it will take time but will be easier to maintain in the long run.