Here's The Plan

Options
JonoK
JonoK Posts: 147 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok! So I'm back to Dieting and Exercising. The major reason is that my wife and (baby) daughter deserve to have a healthy leader in the home, PLUS I was way happier and positive when I weighed about 20 pounds less. I was reading through some of the posts I had in this community two years ago when I was 20% lighter and how excited and proud of myself I was.

I'm going back there.

So I've been running again and getting back to my regular careful watching of food intake. So far, everything lines up as it did before. I am tracking a lot more information this time around, just for the sake of knowing. I'm also looking into an activity tracker bracelet so that I can get some insight into daily activity/lack there of and sleeping habits. I also want a more accurate reading on calories gained and lost - so that info will all be helpful.

So after all that info up front, here is the projected plan for the next 6 mths. I think that if I say it on the blog, then I am somewhat accountable to my fellow FitnessPal-ers as I go along.

Jan -> Mar: Weight control and loss - running treadmill workouts each day - 25-30 minutes to begin, gradually increasing as stamina and muscle development continues. Minimum of 300 calories burned per run. So far, everything is on par. Protein and nutrition in check.

April - > Oct: Running continues daily. Weight training begins. I own a machine now, so those workouts will take place in the mornings (once Michigan thaws a bit and it's not freezing in the garage). 3 Reps of all exercises - 8 different exercises to begin. More added as development continues.

late April -> Sept/Oct: Biking to work. I have a trail that leads to work where I can park each morning and bike in. As long as the weather holds out - I should be able to bike 6 miles per way, to and from work. 3 times a week minimum. Running in the evening continues and weight training on the days I am not biking.

After Sept, I'll re-evaluate the goals, successes and failures and build off of that.

Weight goal is to be down 27 lbs by July 15th.

Looks crazy, sounds crazy.

I'm crazy.

I got this.

What are your plans for the next few months?

Jon

Replies

• jeffininer
    jeffininer Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Good plan and good for you for creating one to stick to.

I'm the type of person that has to write out my plan in order to stick with anything. I'm training for my second half marathon. I've written up my weekly schedule of runs, intervals, and strength training. So far I'm in week 2 and haven't missed a beat. Though, I've got until March 15th. My ultimate goal is to beat my last half time by 8 minutes. I'm training with speed and hill intervals this time, so I have a feeling that should boost my timing some.

Good luck to you!! You sound very determined, so I'm sure you won't have a problem reaching your goals.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    That's very admirable that you thought to do it to set an example for your family,especially you're daughter. Don't know about plans over the next few months, probably stick with the plan,incorporate a few new lifts in delete a few old ones, also gradually continue to increase the speed and distances of my runs
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I like your motivation!

I would suggesting lifting while losing weight. You want to maintain whatever lean mass you can while cutting your body fat. Waiting until you lose the fat, then trying to gain muscle only makes it more difficult and doesn't make much sense.
  • JonoK
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I would suggesting lifting while losing weight. You want to maintain whatever lean mass you can while cutting your body fat.

I would totally do that if I could - but it is just not in the cards for my situation.

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    JonoK wrote: »
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I would suggesting lifting while losing weight. You want to maintain whatever lean mass you can while cutting your body fat.

I would totally do that if I could - but it is just not in the cards for my situation.

Do you mind elaborating on your situation?

• JonoK
    Options
    Don't have the equipment available to lift - but I will in March.
  • arsc02
    arsc02 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck on meeting your goals just stay focused. So far I have started my healthy eating plan and daily exercise starting off with moderate pace walking for 1 1/2 - 2 hrs then starting T25 in the next couple of weeks
  • JonoK
    Options
    Sounds like a solid start. I'm really excited for the Spring when I can get back on my bike!
  • JonoK
    Options
    Yesterday was my wife's birthday and we ended up going out to eat to celebrate. She chose Macaroni Grill and as soon as I found out, I went to work figuring out what the calorie count was on their menu. Surprisingly all this information is available, so I was able to make an informed decision before I went to the restaurant and didn't have to be tempted by the remainder of the menu. I logged it in early in fitnesspal and kept a close eye on what I was going to intake.

Then when I got home I went for a run on the treadmill to get back to my normal calorie-deficit. I thought I was going to have to make yesterday the exception, but to my surprise, I was still under and in control of the day.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    JonoK wrote: »
    Don't have the equipment available to lift - but I will in March.

You can do bodyweight exercises. Squats, pushups, pull-ups, and lunges are easy to do and require no equipment other than a pull-up bar, and if you have a door that's properly mounted to a strong frame, you can do pull-ups on the door with a towel to cushion your hands.