So confused on serving sizes now...help!

Options
I decided to weigh on my digital scale 1/2 c of beans...now the can says it has 3.5 1/2 c servings...well when I weighed the whole can after I rinsed and drained them it was just a little of 8 ozs for the whole can.Well it says 1/2 c is 110 cal and 1 g of fat. Last I checked 8 ozs is a cup so I could actually have the whole can for 220 cals and 2 g fat. Well the problem I have now is ive been just measuring out 1/2 c with my measuring cup and eating that...so apparently I have not been eating 1/2 c but less. My question is should I trust my measuring cup or my digital scale? I for sure dont want to over eat but not under eat.

Replies

• Ljc3
    Ljc3 Posts: 46
    Options
    Scale!
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I'm interested to see how others see this. Here's my take: 8 oz of liquid is a cup. But 8 oz of solid might not be a cup. and since beans are a solid I would do the 1/2 cup as a serving and not 8 oz. I'm also curious to see what they would have weighed before you rinsed and drained them. Looking forward to replies on this.
  • Jenna1971
    Jenna1971 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have had the same issue. It will be interesting to see what others have to say. Thanks for posting!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    you are confusing weights and measures. 8 oz is a liquid cup. If you are measuring solid foods in a 1/2 cup measuring cup that is what you are getting, regardless of the weight. Hope this helps.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but 8 oz weight is different that 8 oz (a cup) by volume. They are not interchangeable. I don't know if the nutrition labels where you live are the same as they are in Canada, but our labels include both the volume size (cups, tablespoon, teaspoons and the like) and a weight amount. I always use the weight amount since it is much more accurate than measuring volume.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Liquid ounces and dry/solid ounces are not the same. Liquid ounces are volume measurements, dry/solid measurements are weight measurements.

What you should do is measure (with a dry measuring cup) the amount of beans that came out of the can. Then you will know how much is really in the can.