Why can I never find enough Protein?

Options
For some reason, protein is the hardest thing for me to find in my diet. I have no problem reaching my fat intake, carbs, sugar, sodium and calorie, but protein seems to completely not exist!

What are the best protein rich foods that (ideally) don't have too many calories? What protein rich foods do you guys prefer to go to?

Just to help with suggestions- I'm allergic to most nuts, so I avoid them completely. But ideas or meal suggestions would be great as I seem to be just eating the same stuff every day and I'm getting quite bored of it!

Replies

• fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, protein shake (PhD diet whey)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, lean pork, lean beef, Greek yogurt. Protein powder, Eggs. Egg whites(for less calories)
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast, ground turkey, greek yogurt, eggs, peas, lentils, quinoa, black beans, cheese, chickpeas, broccoli, cocoa powder.

If you are not allergic to seeds chia, pumpkin, poppy, sesame, sunflower.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Aside from the usual meat suggestions (I quite often bake a ham and snack on this for protein, not great for sodium but good for protein!) - Tesco do protein pasta which is a good way to add extra protein without changing your meals!

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/pasta_and_noodles/tesco_healthy_living_high_protein_fusilli_250g.html
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seed butter, Greek yogurt, eggs, chicken, protein shakes
  • littlegreeneighbour
    Options
    I like to integrate lean beef into my diet. It doesn't have a lot of calories and quickly fills my protein needs.
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Just for balance, as a vegan I get protein from: beans, lentils, chick peas, tofu, temph, seitan, grains (wholewheat bread, pasta ect), soy milk, protein powder (rice protein), seeds
  • jamesdeanii
    Options
    A quick way to get protein that's easy to take down for me is shakes. Ex: 25g of protein powder, 2eggs(12g), 1cup of milk(10g) with some fruit or veggies is 47g of protein just like that..
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Meat - Whether fresh, frozen, processed and canned, e.g. steaks, chicken, fish/seafood, turkey burgers and dogs, canned salmon/tuna/chicken.

Dairy - eggs, liquid egg whites, yogurt (plain), cheeses.

Supplements - protein bars and powders.

Also beans and nuts, they have some protein, but I personally don't think they are as great of a source as any of the above.
  • ForBaacon
    ForBaacon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys! A lot of these seem so obvious now that you've said them, but I went shopping last night and had a complete blonde moment and didn't know what protein food to buy. Learnt my lesson!
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I go over everyday on protein. I am sure that is just as bad as being under.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    An easy trick to always have enough is to integrate some protein in every meal, every snack. Someone here posted a protein chart the other day and I was pleasantly surprised to see oatmeal high on the list! So if you had a bowl of oatmeal at breakfast with a dollop of greek yogurt, maybe some frozen fruit, that can set you off nicely for the day. On days I was having trouble getting my protein in, I would finish off with a Premier Protein shake (30 g protein) from Costco.
  • mommafinnie
    mommafinnie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having a hard time getting protein lots of great advise this helps alot
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble try adding a protein supplement there are so many varieties that are for anyone
  • jttegx
    jttegx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    All meat produce will be high in protein. Preferably chicken (breast). Ribeye steak is high in fat so its probably better to go with NY cut for a happy medium steak dinner.
    Dairy: I love making egg white scramble with deli turkey meat +veggies. If you enjoy yogurt I snack on those 100 calorie Yoplait greek yogurts in-between meals.
    And there is always protein supplements. Mixing with fat-free milk adds even more proteinsssssss lol
  • jttegx
    jttegx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to mention fish. Tuna and salmon. Considering your user name contains the word "bacon"...turkey bacon is fairly light
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    jttegx wrote: »
    I also forgot to mention fish. Tuna and salmon. Considering your user name contains the word "bacon"...turkey bacon is fairly light

Love turkey bacon ,it takes similar tasting to pork bacon just less fat not so greasy it's really high in protein too I have two pieces for breakfast some days
  • peaceful_minion
    peaceful_minion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What has helped me get my protein in for the day is eating one meal of 8oz chicken breast and 150g of baked sweet potato. Super filling, super tasty and low calorie...uh...less than 400 if I remember correctly?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I know pork's been mentioned, but pork chops, specifically, have an excellent protein / calorie ratio (ham, not so much). Gets me out of my canned salmon / greek yogurt / chicken rut. And shrimp, clams, lobster :p

BTW, why is your protein target so high? At your weight, I would think 115 grams would be really the max your body could use effectively, and anything over 100 would be still quite reasonable.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Edamame pods, beef jerkey